1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

25' S-Video cable?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by TNGTony, Dec 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Hi all! I have a question perhaps one of the fine folks here may have an anwer.

I finally got myself to buy a DVD player, but as I knew it was going to happen, If I'm going to have a DVD player, I need a Dolby Digital receiver. For this reason I kept stalling my DVD purchase. So I took a crow-bar to my wallet and bought a Yamaha DD receeiver to replace my 18 year-old Pioneer receiver and 12 year-old Yamaha integrated Dolby Surround (before Pro-Logic) decoder/integrated amp. (both still work great)

Here is my quandry:

The room has a stereo counter with all sorts of cabinet space built into the wall on the left side of the TV. The TV does not fit anywhere on the wall with the stereo. So the TV is a good 20-25' cable run from the components. Up until now, I've had my Dishplayer and VCR under the TV with 25' RCA cables running audio to the amps/decoder. I guess I could still do that with the VCR, but I need to get the DD output of the Dishplayer to the new DD receiver. If I put the DVD player there I have the same problem. I think a 25' run of optical cable costs more than some houses. :)

Anyway, I think the best thing is to put all the components on the counter, hook everything up the the new Yamaha video switcher and run a single S-video out to the TV. Anyone know if there is such an animal? (25' S-Video cable). Right now I'm going to have to go with composite video, but I can see a difference between the two. I would rather use S.

Oh yeah...I was also forced to buy a center channel speaker! So this $70 DVD player is costing me a little more than that!

See ya
    Tony

2. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Adding to this. If there is such a things as a 25' S-Video Cable, do RCA cables exist in a larger length (30', 50'). If so what would be a negative?

3. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You can have a very long run of RCA cable. You just lose some definition the longer the run is. but with a good sheilded cable this is really not a problem for 30-50' Take any lenth good qualuty coax and put F to RCA adaptors on the ends. :D We do this at the TV studio when we need to. I've runn 300' of "rca" cable this way with decent (not great) results.

The thing is that I can see a very big difference between RCA and S-Video. I want to use S-Video if possible.

See ya
    Tony

4. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    Bestbuy sells them up to 4 meters long. I have a 20' run that I got at a home theater specialty store.

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
  6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks guys...

I searched Best Buy's web site...that's where I bought the rest of the equipment. I didn't see anything longer than 2m (6.5 feet). I guess it just wasn't listed.

Mr. King, I'll look at the pionter you gave me! Thanks.

See ya
    Tony

-----------------

COOL! Just bought a 30' cable for the TV and a 10' for the computer's DVD to hook up to the TV upstairs. Thanks again!

See ya
    Tony

7. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    S-Video you should be good for 50-100m. Composite with a decent signal will get you 100m or more. RGB can run at least 100m. I work with a production group in town running a video system (haven't mentioned that before). We've ran 100m or more of RGBHV on 5 coaxes. S-Video shouldn't be worse than that. I think that you'd be fine for 100m of S-Video on 2 coaxes. So I doubt 25ft on normal cable would be even the slightest problem. Check out www.a2zcables.com for the cable

You have three options:

Very good quality:

http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables....ct/View/V8&2D25
    Total cost - $19.95

Great quality:

http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables....t/View/V8P&2D25
    Cost - $74.95

Best quality:

two of each item needed:
    http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables....ct/View/VY6&2D1

and

http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables..../View/AC1B&2D25

Total cost - $99.80

Do note that with option three you could use cheaper BNC cables such as http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables..../View/ACVB&2D20
    which is only 20', but only $16. Or I'm sure you could find a cheaper cable.

But definitely, for a long run, breaking out to BNCs is the best option. But 25' really isn't a long run. And breaking out to BNCs is probably overkill in your environment.

Oh, here's the information on the 25' S/PDIF TosLink fibre cable:

http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables....t/View/VHD&2D25

It's $59.95, which is only slightly cheaper than the premium S-Video cable.

---UPDATE to add some stuff for the rest of you. Just some more notes---

1.) That 100m RGBHV run I'm metioning is a signal from a distribution amplifier, and it's professional video projection equipment. A typical HT setup won't have the same signal level just breaking it out. You need an amplified interface system of some type. Still, 25ft of S-Video is not a big deal at all.

2.) "do RCA cables exist in a larger length (30', 50'). If so what would be a negative?"

Oh, yeah! RCA composite video is just a coaxial cable. RG-6 or RG-59 and you've got whatever run length you need. 50' or so is nothing. I've ran well over 100m of composite video with no amplification except at the final distribution amp to split the signal (near the end of the run). Only problem was some bars scrolling on the picture (very faint). I THINK it was a ground problem because the run was from opposite ends of a very large building. Don't know though, and don't care - it was a temporary setup. It looked okay though - on very large projection screens. I'd say you're good with 50'

3.) With the "does such and such a cable exist..." type questions, remember this - if it DOESN'T commercially exist, the answer is always at RadioShack and Home Depot (cables at Home Depot; connectors and tools at RadioShack). Some minimal electronics skill and you can put together any patch or extension (copper) cable you need. Optical is, of course, more complex.

4.) PS; I'm not a video pro. As a result of involvement at church, I have got some jobs at local events though, which is always nice So take my comments for what they are - comments from someone with experience, but not a professional opinion. I'm slowly building up a decent reputation though. I'm really more knowledgeable about this stuff than most people on here would give me credit for.

8. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    We recently ran 75' of component, by taking 3-75' RG6 F cables, adding RCA (phono plug) terminators. Worked fine. No visible noise, from HIDef source.

9. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Tony,

I have a 25' length running to my system without any problems at all. Purchased it from a place here in town called Atex electronics. They do mail order and their prices are very good. I think my cable was only about $8. Give them a call at 1-877-367-2839 and see what they can do for you.

10. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually what I want to do it take my TiVo, and output it directly to my DV capure device for DVD burning. They are both on the ground floor but on literally opposite sides of the house. Probably around 50 feet apart. I have taken from TiVo to Video Tape to bring over to the VHS next to the DV capture. How much PQ/SQ would I lose with a 50 foot RCA run. Would it be less than making a VHS copy?

11. sorahl

sorahl Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 24, 2002
    Another verfication. I ran 75 feet of svideo at my church when I set up the Projector we use for services to connect it to the machine back at the sound board. It works great.

John

12. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    "Actually what I want to do it take my TiVo, and output it directly to my DV capure device for DVD burning. They are both on the ground floor but on literally opposite sides of the house. Probably around 50 feet apart. I have taken from TiVo to Video Tape to bring over to the VHS next to the DV capture. How much PQ/SQ would I lose with a 50 foot RCA run. Would it be less than making a VHS copy?"

You'd lose absolutely no quality. You'd lost some signal strength (not much), but it wouldn't affect quality. Of course, I'd reccomend S-Video for the video.

"Another verfication. I ran 75 feet of svideo at my church when I set up the Projector we use for services to connect it to the machine back at the sound board. It works great."

In a professional environment (because of the level of equipment used, I consider a church a professional environment) there are two questions that must be addressed. 1 - What type of distribution amp are you using to split the signal among projectors? 2 - Did you break out onto 2 coax cables, or run a typical TP S-Video cable?

13. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Cool, Thanks!

14. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I take it, Tony, that you have an older TV that doesn't have the component video inputs. Those are the best connections to use if you have a DVD player.

25' S-Video cable is available, although you may have to do some searching.

I'll think I'll start up one of my pet peeves in another thread.

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Anytime Tony. That's just one of several sources that I use when I need goofy cables or connectors for install projects.

16. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Z'Loth, if by older you mean older that 3 years... Yes. I have an older TV :)

I will not buy a TV for more than I paid for my first car so it will be a little while before I get a TV with component inputs. :)

See ya
    Tony

17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Component video inputs have been showing up on TVs for at least 3 years. There is a Toshiba 32" TV that was purchased in September, 2000 that is sitting in the living room. And, it's not a HDTV.

Enjoy your DVD player. I've enjoyed mine for the past four years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.