1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28-year-old grad student owes $675,000 for downloading songs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Was this how the Copyright Act was supposed to be applied? Congress ought to revisit this, because I don't think the Act was designed to go after individuals like it has been.

Story here.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Of course, she could have just not illegally downloaded music and avoided the whole situation. The article doesn't say how many songs she downloaded. At that kind of fine, it better have been hundreds, if not thousands.

3. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I think you mean "he". Regardless, that's not the point. I'm not condoning illegal downloading, piracy, etc.; rather, I'm just posing a question of whether or not the Copyright Act was really intended to be used as it presently is being used.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I have no idea how I read that article and determined it was a "she". :confused:

I guess I agree with that, but there has to be something protecting the copyright holders' rights. And the penalty has to exceed the lawful cost of the work if legally acquired. Otherwise there's not much deterrant to acquiring it illegally and just paying for it later if you're caught.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't disagree with you. One thing I wasn't able to determine from that article--did it say how many songs he downloaded? If one is going to illegally download thousands or tens of thousands of songs, then such a huge fine might be more understandable, but let's say he downloaded a hundred or maybe even a few hundred. Is $675,000 excessive? Appropriate? I'm not saying it is or it isn't; I'm just throwing that question out there for discussion.

6. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, that was my question in my first post. Knowing the number of songs would go a long way in determining the appropriateness of the fine.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    10,000+ songs isn't too far fetched as for being possible. With discography torrents easily available, you can build a big collection fairly easily.

...Not that I'd know anything about that. :)

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Stealing copyrighted material meets the law of intended consequences.

Sorry, dude, but if you're (not your) a grad student, you should have known better.

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    If the person was downloading songs he was probably sharing them too.

That is who they really go after the ones that are sharing the songs with others IMO.

As for how the Copyright Act was supposed to be applied, if the only tool you have is a large sledgehammer then you will use it to drive tacks too, even if that isn't what it is designed for.

10. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I be interest to know what part of the $675,000 when to the copyright holders?

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It probably seems harsh to go after "a student" but... if he violated the law, then why not?

What if a student robs your house or a bank... do you not arrest that individual if you catch them? What if they are part of a larger group that robs lots of houses or banks... you might go after the bigger fish, but still you should punish the small fish you catch too.

This isn't the same as busting a drug user vs a drug pusher OR a client vs a prostitute... in this case you're punishing a single thief vs the whole band of thieves. Each individual thief in such a case is just as culpable, so it's hard to defend them for doing something they knew wasn't right.

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Slightly off topic, but from the article:

That's hard to read. Using Twitter as a communications medium is a terrible idea, if it means formulationg words and sentences in that manner.

13. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I am curious about a couple things:
    How the songs were enumerated and verified? Any duplicates in that count?
    How much per song was determined.

That said, I do understand that building a huge library can be a quick process--with a fast enough connections. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

14. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    He downloaded 31 songs and they could have fined him $2 million!

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    31 songs and he was penalized in the amount of $675,000? I'm one of the most strident law & order, take-responsibility-for-your-actions kind of person, but I'm sorry; that amount is ridiculous and way overboard.

16. txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    The lesson here is that it would be much better to steal 31 CDs and, if caught, be fined much less for shoplifting.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    That is what I was thinking. It would be less costly to shoplift them from Wal Mart. So what do they do when the obvious plays out and he cannot pay the fine? Throw him in prison? Let him pay $5 a month? Rob the country of a Physics major at a time when they are in short supply by forcing him to drop out of college? For 31 songs? Sorry, but the countries legal system has gone the way of Studebaker. FAIL.

18. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Going back to the original trial info, he shared songs for 3 years after receiving a cease and desist letter and even after the suit was filed! Talk about ignoring the asphalt hitting you in the face as you fall down...

Cheers,
    Tom

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    So, set the statute for a fixed fine of five times the retail value of the item(s), maybe ten times. In this case the fine might be a few hundred dollars, maybe a thousand.

But by all means, take the profit out of it for the lawyers. The law firm fee should bet set by statute also; something like an additional 50% of the fined amount.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    At one point, Jammie Thomas had a $1.9 million judgement on 24 songs. It's one reason I try to get wifi networks secure if I run into them, they can get you in a lot of trouble.