1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Location Directv Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bradhenry, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1 of 19
    bradhenry

bradhenry New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    So, my parents will be staying with my family for a few months (hopefully), while their house is remodeled. For better or worse, my dad is a huge baseball fan and wants to bring his directv receiver with him to watch the mlb package and channel. The problem is we do not have a dish installed at my house, but my dad wants to have one installed while he is staying here. Two questions:

1) Can my dad call directv to let him know he is doing this because he is leaving the other receivers behind at the house during the remodel? I'm just not sure of directv policies.

2) If we hire an independant installer, who does Directv installations, to add the dish. Is the installer required to call Directv to let them know a the location of the receiver? Do they contact directv every time a dish is installed?

Somehow this has become my issue to deal with and I appreciate any help on the matter.

Thank you,

Brad

2. Jun 9, 2009 #2 of 19
    rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    you could do a movers install. just dont hook up the other receivers

3. Jun 9, 2009 #3 of 19
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    A tech won't complete a mover's without ALL receivers present. Had that happen multiple time and had to reschedule.

To the OP. For the right price an independent doesn't care really.

But why not just DIY it?

4. Jun 9, 2009 #4 of 19
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    DIY is the best route, just pickup a dish and some wire and you should be good to go.

Involving Directv will over complicate things and most likely leave you with results you do not want. They are not very flexible with things once you get out of the "normal" zone of situations.

5. Jun 9, 2009 #5 of 19
    bradhenry

bradhenry New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Thanks guys. I haven't installed a dish in years. The new ones (slimline I think), look like a big project with the need to buy a signal meter. This is why I considered an installer. I would not call direct tv, but if I called a company in the yellow pages (who may happen to also do directv installs), that would be the easy out for me. I suppose it is a case-by-case situation as to whether the installer cares; likely not though. I am just curious if they are required to contact Directv whenever they touch their equiptment.

6. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nah, you don't really need a meter. You still can do it with an IRD. Just takes a bit more work.

7. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    For just a few months why not just put up a regular 18" dish and live with SD. Very easy install. Hmm... I guess HD receivers will work with only the 101 LNB?

8. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    It is not possible to live with SD.:lol:

9. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I second this statement! :lol:

10. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Given the scenario you mention, DirecTV shouldn't care at all. As long as the service isn't being used at your dad's place while he's at your's, it's no big deal for him to be using his receiver at your place.

11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Another option to consider, become a DirecTV customer yourself. Problem solved.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    And your parents will get a $100 referral fee and you will get $100 as well. :)
    Just give DirecTV your parent's account number when you order.

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    And call the specific "Referral" phone number or you get bupkus.

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I knew there was something I forgot. :)

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    You dont need a meter. I have done a few without a meter no problem ;)

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Actually his parents wouldn't get the credit because they would have to suspend the account. Due to the status the discount would not be applied and may not allow the new account the discount.

A movers would be fine and if they just said they wanted 1 receiver installed the installer would install 1 receiver. The installer would not do the work if all of their receivers were on the work order and they only wanted 1 installed.

The main thing is if their remodel requires the dish to be removed they will have to pay for a second move.

Best case scenario would just be to suspend the account and if you wanted to get DirecTV call up and order it. They could drop to family but the referal credit wouldn't make up the difference of what they would have to pay and in the long run would just cost them more money. Find someone else you know who has DirecTV if you're thinking about it.

Remember that if you do go this route you have to call the referal number only or goto the specific website. You can find both of these doing a search on the forum.

17. dmbj

dmbj New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    if you do set up a dish at your house and bring over dads ird, do not plug in the phone line and if anyone asks dad why is it not pluged in, have him tell direct tv that he is using the box in his RV for the summer.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just a note... there's a right way and a wrong way to do this. Lying to DIRECTV is not the right way. I believe there are ways to explain that this is a secondary residence and service at the primary residence is not active.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    +1

I have run into exactly this situation as an installer. There are people in this world who maintain several residences and migrate. In one case they moved from New England to Florida and back with a paid captain moving their yacht. Their DTV service migrated with them.

DTV was able to cope.

There will be some expense BUT after the receivers move "home" the installation equipment is still the property of the owner of the building.

Or just put up a dish & no phone connection.

Joe