2TB - where and what to get

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve Rhodes, May 25, 2009.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    After the CSR offered me a free HR20, I decided to go the route of attaching a 2TB (or less desirably a 1.5TB) eSata drive. I figured Fry's would stock this but they don't. So, where is the best place on-line to get it and what would you recommend to get? We've had good experience with our 750GB Free Agent Pro we got about 2 years ago. Thanks!

2. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Antec MX-1. Western digital green drive. Prices change almost daily. Google it.

3. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    I see a Western Digital 2TB (WDH2Q20000N 2TB My Book Studio Edition II) on Amazon -- a place I trust -- that ships directly from them with free shipping. Any thoughts on this drive?

4. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    That WD is a 2-drive array, i.e. it has 2, 1TB drives in it that look like one big one to the outside world.

I have no idea if it works on the HR20. In theory it should. You set it as a RAID 0.

WD also has a one-drive 2TB external HD, the WDH1CS20000N Mybook Home, at about the same price, with free shipping, from Newegg (also a very reputable vendor). In theory this is somewhat more reliable than a two drive setup, and is certainly smaller, quieter, and uses less power.

Personally I would get the Antec MX-1 enclosure, and a single WD 2TB bare drive, and put them together. Of course, I build my own computers and like doing that stuff.

Keith

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    My Books I believe are reported to not work with the D* DVR's...buy the Antec MX-1 and a 2TB SATA drive...

6. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    My books are problematic like you said. I would also go for an Antec mx-1 and a WD GD, but I would go for a 1.5 tb since the 2 tb is still at a premium price.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was one of the first to report that the My Book eSATAs didn't work with a 20-700. That was the only model I had at the time. That was when the FAQ thread on eSATAs was being written. What I failed to do was try one on a 21. I have seen several posts by folks that have them working on 21s.

Still, I think they are a bit iffy. And those RAID WDs come set to mirror 1TB, so in effect, they are only a 1TB eSATA. I've never gotten a RAID setup to work with a 21. They do work on my 20-700s, I have one right now and the other one I had committed HDDicide. :lol: Sounded like it was grinding glass and blew it's power supply before I could get to it and pull the plug.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    BB is still selling them for $299. Haven't looked at websites for a while. Last weekend, you could pick up a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda drive for $109 at Fry's. Add a $35 Antec MX-1 and that's about half the price of a WD 2TB drive.

I did nearly fill up a 2TB and three 1.5TBs and one 1TB this past TV season. Used them to back each other up. Thought at first I could get away with a bunch of 1TB drives and am happy I went for the larger drives.

Rich

9. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    you should look into getting the hauppauge pvr 1212 that can record the shows to a PC. I have done that to offload about a few 100 gigs off my DVR. So you still get these drives...just put them in a PC instead.

Dell usually has them on sale with their coupons once a month for approx. $175.

p.s: I have a PS3, and run the pvr1212 records to the ac3 format thats ps3 native...so I can easily stream the video to the PS3 without any transcoding.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Thanks to a tip from dave29, I ordered two 1.5 TB Seagates for $100 each from Dell the other night. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet (my PC or HR's), but I thought the price was too good to pass up. :) /steve

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I went to order them this morning, and the deal was over. I missed out on my own tip.:lol:

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    "Somebody" giveth and "somebody" taketh away. :lol:

Fry's had them for $109 yesterday.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Unfortunately, not that "geeked up". I kinda let the technology pass me by.

Rich

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Internal is the only way to go if you don't mind voiding your 90 day warranty.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But very complicated and the OP has stated in a previous thread that he is not a DIY (I do dislike acronyms, but...) type. Can you imagine taking a 20-700 apart if you were "mechanically challenged"? And then trying to explain what happened to their 20-700 to D*? :lol:

Rich

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    I guess you are right but after I had bought my HR20-700 from a guy who was getting out of the business I figured what the heck and it wasn't really that difficult and I am not the best at these things but I am really glad I did.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just got an "owned" 20-700 a month or so ago and I put a 1.5 internal in it. Man, that thing flies. But, it's really a two man job just to get it back together. I had thought that it couldn't be harder than a TiVo, but it sure was. Not something I would suggest a non-DIY guy try. Easier to go the Antec route. My 20-700 goes so quickly thru the guide that I got lost the other day. :lol:

Rich

18. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    It is amazing how some DVRs respond so much quicker than others and according to the software that you are running.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got four 20-700s in the same room and there is a tremendous difference in speed. Of course, the other 20-700s have large eSATAs on them that are nearly full, so I haven't really been able to compare speeds. Does make you wonder if the eSATA function bogs the HRs down a bit. I know a full eSATA of any size will bog an HR down, but the one with the internal seems so very, very fast.

Rich

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    I personally feel that the eSATA Process does indeed BOG DOWN the process a bit to make a difference which is one of the reasons I went Internal as well as being simpler in alot of ways.