1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Delaware Daycare Employees Accused Of Encouraging Toddlers To Fight

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Aug 21, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From CBS Philadelphia:

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Tell me, again, why I'm not always proud of my own race.... the human race....

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I am waiting to see where all the people who think bullying is "good" and "teaches you" and such to come out of the woodwork and reply.

It just looks to me like the bar has been lowered and now we aren't even waiting for kids to get to middle or high school before encouraging bullying and fighting.

Very sad :(

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    The fight video is not being shown to parents or the public because it's being shopped to TLC as a pilot for a new reality show, 'Fight Kids'.

5. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    We were waiting to see if one of the "every conceivable act from stealing pencils to mass-murder should be labeled bullying and prosecuted as federal offenses" or the "children can't possibly learn a positive lesson from succesfully confronting a bully" crowd would reply first. They did.

Also, if I remember correctly, the preferred solution in the previous thread was to seek the assistance of an adult. That worked out well...:rolleyes:

6. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    They are in talks with Michael Vick to host...

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Figures, one of those little cry-babies tattled.

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    So that's your vote for "let the 3 year olds fight" then?

That's what it sounded like. You do know, of course, that two adults fighting like that in public might get arrested... and the aggressor would possibly spend a night in jail... so what lesson are you expecting the 3-year-old to learn?

Well... it does assume that there are some competent adults who don't think the kids should be fighting.. unfortunately for these kids, the adults supervising them were even more immature and shouldn't be allowed to run a daycare center ever again.

9. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    +1

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Once again people from opposite camps are reacting to a story they have limited knowledge of. Granted, after reading the story and seeing the photos of the three daycare employees it's obvious they have the combined intelligence of a dairy cow and should not be allowed to continue with their employment. But that's just my two cents. That aside there is very little to go on to continue the debate. We don't know what led up to the fight between the toddlers. It could very well be a case of bullying. It could also be a case of cowardice. Maybe the kid who got his ass kicked has a mouth that's two minutes ahead of his brain. He also might have been larger than the kid who was pummeling him and met his match. We just don't know. My guts are telling me that both the toddlers and the daycare workers come from neighborhoods and a part of society where this type of behavior is the norm.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your first sentence says it all, otherwise, that is a hell of a lot of speculation

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Thunderdome?

13. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Dover is a depressed city, yes. It's growing. It's poor. It is what it is.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Well... two things in play here.

The two kids doing the actual fighting... who knows what started that. We don't know from the article. So that could be a mutual fight, who knows.

BUT...

the adult pushing the kid back into the fight when the kid wanted to stop... That sure seems like bullying to me!

Anyone want to argue that? Surely not.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    My understanding from various articles is that the staff staged the fights for some sort of entertainment.

16. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    Having spent time on a farm in Wisconsin, I am pretty sure that cows are smarter than that.

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Wow... I was hoping that was a joke... but didn't see the smiley... I haven't seen/heard that.

IF that is the case... that is insane. Those daycare workers are hopefully in for some serious punishment if that is true.

Were they placing bets too? I mean was this like dog/****-fighting but with 3 year olds?

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I don't remember where I saw it now, but I did find this:

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/0...orkers-encourage-toddlers-to-fight-79079.html

19. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I think it depends on the State, but most background checks only go back for a certain period of time and generally only look at Felony convictions (for employment purposes). If a State only allows you to look back 7 years, for example, depending on the background check provider, the employer might never even see offenses further back than that.

20. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    This can happen anywhere, with or without encouragement. My daughter has already had her first fight. She's 3. A girl pushed her down and yelled at her to go away because my daughter was playing with a toy she wanted, but my daughter has the benefit of being tall and size matters. Before the teacher could reach them, my daughter had jumped up and decked her. The difference is the response. My daughter had to call me at work, tell me what happened and apologize (sorry, but after hearing what happened I was proud of her for standing her ground). She still got scolded, but I don’t fault her and I told her it was wrong, but that it was good she defended herself. Apparently with the other girl, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. She was expelled indefinitely.

The moral of the story, don’t let your kid take crap from a bully and at the same time don’t be so damn over protective that you raise a kid that can’t defend herself/himself. We’ve already got one generation that wasn't taught there are winners and losers in life. From what I'm seeing in the pipeline right now, it's no wonder so many 20 somethings moved back home, no one wants to hire someone without a spine.