1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Flawed Assumptions - Time Magazine

Discussion in 'Archive' started by James_F, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Apr 3, 2003 #1 of 42
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Time Magazine Article

According to this article there are "3 Flawed Assumptions" that were made.

1. THERE WOULD BE LITTLE RESISTANCE.
    2. THERE WOULD BE DANCING IN THE STREETS.

3. THE WAR PLAN COVERED ALL CONTINGENCIES.

I think Time hit the first 2, but the third one is incorrect. As a former Marine, I know we planned for everything and I seriously doubt they overlooked this. In fact I don't think Time Magazine even proved this was a flaw in their article. :mad:

2. Apr 3, 2003 #2 of 42
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The problem is that Cheney and Rumsfeld had too much of a hand in the military operation. It has been reported that Cheney wanted to do this "on the cheap" while the military men wanted more resources and a bit more time to put them in place.

I hope GWB dumps Cheney for the next election.

3. Apr 3, 2003 #3 of 42
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Don't tease me like that. :lol:

4. Apr 3, 2003 #4 of 42
    Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    The indications is that 2 is starting to occur in some form. They needed to believe that this time we would not abandon them. But, like any population you don't have 100% agreement.

5. Apr 3, 2003 #5 of 42
    Punkitup

Punkitup AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 9, 2003
    Has anyone taken a look at the economy? Our troops are going to be coming back to the largest national deficit in history, and home States that are cutting essential services under crushing debt. Take a look at this state by state budget map.

I don’t think Mr. Bush will have to worry about who is in his cabinet; I believe like his Father before him, he is not going to enjoy any sort of post-war bounce.

Pray for Peace
    James – USMC 1980-84

"Armed and Curious" - The George Bush story

6. Apr 4, 2003 #6 of 42
    Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    CNN reported that they guy shown early in the war beating a picture of Saddam with his shoe was killed by Saddam loyalists.
    I could see how that would dampen the celebration. Even if the story is not true, the rumor is just as effective. Other reporters have said that people won't say on camera that they are glad the Americans are there, but will off camera.

7. Apr 4, 2003 #7 of 42
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    From a true Iraqi hero:
    http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/5552797.htmv

8. Apr 4, 2003 #8 of 42
    AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I don't believe our troops will be coming home any time soon. Since Bush already declared Iran one of the "evils" and it's just next door, I suspect he'll develop a rationale for continuing his crusade into their territory.

9. Apr 4, 2003 #9 of 42
    RandyAB

RandyAB Godfather

Apr 4, 2002
    I believe as well as hope that you are wrong. Just because they are declared as part of the axis of evil does not mean that we will go bomb them next. Look at the North Korea situation, so far the Bush admin is saying that this will be handled diplomatically. No plans for war with North Korea.

I think Iran is even a different case. Currently in Iran(majority Shi'ite population) you see people unhappy with the current militant islamic regime. People want american products in there, and I think the war with Iran would just bring us back to 1980. However assuming we win this war....the Shi'ite population will be happier with America since we freed their people. This being my opinion that this could start a change in parts of the Arab world. However I am still we will be predominately hated there.

10. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
  11. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    If, as we all hope, the war is over quickly with no repercussions, the news media and the public will turn their attention to other things, primarily the US economy. I doubt that Bush is going to want that to be the focus of our attention going into next year's election cycle. The war has maintained our attention almost to the exclusion of everything else for a very long time (to Bush's advantage). I really doubt he'll want to lose that advantage.

As I mentioned before, Iran is right next door...

12. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    They will NOT go into Iran. The seed of discontent have been sown there already, it is only a matter of time before things change there. The upcoming generation is much more pro-western.

13. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I have fears that if it isn't Iran Bush will find some other country to go to war with, right through the next election. Can't change horses in the middle of the stream (or war), ya know.

14. RandyAB

RandyAB Godfather

Apr 4, 2002
    I think (and hope) you will be wrong. And then we will be able to have a new administration come in and start to mend some fences...not all deserve to be mended...but most of them should be fixed

15. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
  16. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    While that may be true, the administration could make the case that we can't risk the security of America while waiting for the next generation to take control. Both Iran and Korea have capabilities that Iraq lacks, so it's reasonable to assume that this president will take action against them. In the case of Iran, the troops are already in the neighborhood. Prolonging conflict through the next election cycle must be a tempting thought. Americans tend to rally around the president during time of war, but turn fickle later (just ask Bush, Sr.).

17. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    However, the economy cannot handle a continuous state of war. Witness the slowdown in the time leading up to this conflict. If the economy doesn't turn around by election time, Bush will not be re-elected, war or no. Bush should know this. Frankly, if the economy doesn't start recovering, even I probably won't vote for him.

18. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    This quote was originally attributed to Wallace by the New York Times, that ever so even handed "fair and balanced" publication. It has since been corrected and the two words that were left OUT of the quote have been replaced. The original quote is as follows:
    The same publication has stated that Vice President Cheney claimed that this would be a "cake walk" they have since retracted that "quotation".

19. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    "Upcoming generation?" We couldn't wait to give the weapons inspectors another few weeks in Iraq, and we're going to wait for another generation to take over in Iran? It's not that I don't agree with you about the upcoming generation. I do. Discontent is huge in Iran. But that would seem to give certain people all the more reason to "liberate them." Hopefully however, the next/continuing campaign will be the rebuilding of Iraq into a peaceful, prosperous, materialistic, America loving democracy which will provide the incentive to Iran and other countries to follow the lead.

20. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    Would inspections have brought about any meaningful change in Iraq? If so, how? I have not heard anyone answer these questions in a practical way.