3d channel question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FastNOC, Nov 29, 2011.

1. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Hello,

Since I got the new account with DirecTV i broke down and bought a new TV. a 60inch Aquos Quattron. I also got two pairs of the 3d glasses. (which are entirely too expensive).

I see 3d channels in the listing guide, but they're greyed out. Is there a special package I need to get? or does the receiever detect the TV can do 3d?

It's not a huge deal, i didn't buy it for the 3d at all, but since I've got it I'd like to use it.

2. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    Do you have your HD receiver connected via HDMI or component? My understanding is that 3D only works with HDMI.

3. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    HDMI but my new TV hasn't arrived yet. Currently it's hooked up to an old cruddy 40inch toshiba that I bought to hold me over for a year.

4. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    Once you get the new TV, hook it up to the receiver with the HDMI cord and then reset it. It should show the 3D channels at that time.

5. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    oh wow. thank you! i figured I had to buy extra premiums to get them. though in reality i'm sure there isn't that many programs i'd watch in 3d. but the future is coming :)

Thank you for the help.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Currently the receiver knows that your tv doesnt support 3D, so they are not watchable, a few of the channels are PPV only, so make sure those are not the ones you are looking at.

7. poofball1

poofball1 New Member

Nov 27, 2011
    not all tvs are supported by directvs 3d programming and you also have to have a 3d capable receiver, not all receivers are 3d capable. There is a list of 3d compatible tvs on directv.com and there are some swaps available for receivers to change them out to the the 3d capable.

8. levytv

levytv Cool Member

May 13, 2008
    if your receiver isnt 3d ready - you can bypass receiver video and run audio to receiver and video direct to tv hdmi input. thats what i did.

9. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    so what can i do to verify my reciever is 3d ready? it's an HR24-200

10. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    All HR's Except the HR20 are 3D capable. You are good to go.

11. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Don't forget to set the 1080p in your receiver as well. Don't know if it's supposed to be automatically set, but mine wasn't.

12. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Unfortunately, the list of compatible TVs on the DirecTV site has not been updated since 3D was first launched. It is so out-of-date that it is esentially useless. For example, none of the Panasonic models on the list are still available; however, it is my understanding that all 3D Panasonic TVs that are newer than the ones that are listed will work with DirecTV.

If your TV is compatible and if it is connected directly to your HR24-200 via an HDMI cable, then you should have no problem. If you connect your HR24-200 to an AV receiver and the AV receiver to the TV, then whether it works depends on which AV receiver you have. Check the 3D TV thread for discussions on what does not work.

13. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks everyone. got my glasses today and it works great.

I do have a question though. I was told NASCAR was doing some 3d stuff with DirecTV. is that not true? i can't find any info on it.

14. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    Unfortunately, the list of compatible TVs on the DirecTV web site is way out of date. For example, they list Panasonic models that are no longer made, but they do not list any of the current Panasonic models. I do not know about the Aquos Quatron, but I do know that all of the current Panasonic 3D TVs, even though none of them are listed, are compatible with DirecTV.

15. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I think that levytv was referring to Audio-Video Receivers - not your DirecTV receiver. Some AVRs are not 3D compatible. In that case, you must connect the HR24-200 directly to your TV via HDMI, and then send the audio to the AVR via optical or coax to be able to watch TV in 3D and have the 5.1 sound come from your AVR.

If your AVR is 3D compatible, then all you need is an HDMI cable from the HR24-200 to the AVR and an HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV.