1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D TV and internet-connected TV

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Mike Bertelson, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I read an interesting interview with Eisuke Tsuyuzaki, CTO for Panasonic. I’ve never been a fan of 3D TV but it made some in points. In their first nine months 2 million-ish 3D TVs sold compared to about half a million HDTVs in their first five years. Interesting comparison but I wonder if that’s because most of the HDTVs sold last year featured 3D but weren’t necessarily the reason for buying the TV.

The article goes on to parallel the proliferation of 3D and the future of connected television. Honestly, from the article I didn't really get how 3D fit into the context of the article...maybe it quick acceptance and large sales compared to the beginnings of other new techologies.

Eisuke Tsuyuzaki and Panasonic believe tablet devices will be the link between IPTV service and consumer electronics. This makes more sense to me as a use for tablets than trying to replace laptops/netbooks. I might consider a tablet if I could use it to control all the aspects of home entertainment and take it with me where ever I go.

Here the article Link

Mike

2. David Bott

David Bott Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Jul 12, 2005
    Traveling...
    Not to sure on the 3D part based on the new poll over at AVSForum. 61% of the 1800+ votes thus far still consider 3D as a movie theater hype. And this is AFTER the big holiday shopping season. They ran the first poll back in May of 2010 and the results were more or less the same. This I find very tell, again considering the second poll is after the holiday shopping.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1315729

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Frankly, I have no use for 3D.

I can't see it anyway - I've got strabismus (as do many people) and the slight misalignment in my eyes means that I won't see 3D.

Useless technology!