3D1 lnb cold weather issues?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Jodean, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Just started using some 3D1 lnbs (13 tuner) recently, ran out of the normal 8 tuner lnbs here recently in the shed.

Started using them about 2 weeks ago now.

3 of 5 installed had severe pixelation below zero degrees. Hope this isnt another trend going on like last several years.

Felt bad having to put on old used lnbs on some new installs.

Anyone else 10 to 30 below zero out there for temps? (not including wind chill factor, actual temps)

2. Don Roberts

Don Roberts New Member

Jan 26, 2017
    I cant speak directly for the 3D1, since i've never heard that terminology. We use DSWiM lnb's (which i'm assuming are the ones you're using) ourselves as a standard and since rollout they've had cold weather problems here in MN. Last year when it dropped below -30 on a day we had pretty much every customer drop service.

3. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    SWM 3D1 is how the model number starts......13 tuner

SWM 3D2 is 21 tuner lnb

And thanks for the response! These guys out in CA think they know everything and have seen everything......where it gets all the way down to 40 degrees.....burr!!

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Hard to believe they wouldn't make winter testing in northern Minnesota or Alaska part of the test cycle for any new outdoor equipment like LNBs and switches, along with summer testing in Vegas or Phoenix.

Don Roberts likes this.
  5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Naw... they might have done a first article, but everything since has been piggybacked off of that due to cost.

Before I/we would put something in space we had a good idea of how well it worked, but for what the past do and cost, nobody looked any harder or longer at them than was the absolute minimum.

Don Roberts likes this.