1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Dead After Metro-North Train Derails In The Bronx

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dec 1, 2013 #1 of 25
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    READ MORE

2. Dec 1, 2013 #2 of 25
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    RIP the victims. I hope a speedy and complete recovery to the injured survivors.

3. Dec 1, 2013 #3 of 25
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Here's another shot. Pretty unbelievable. Thank goodness it wasn't a week-day with more folks on the train. As it was, the estimated 100 passengers were more than usual, because of the holiday.

[​IMG]
    Edwin Valero/Associated Press

4. Dec 1, 2013 #4 of 25
    Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    If I was still working, I would have been on the first car. Probably in a seat somewhere in middle front on the riverside of the car. The one that remain upright.

Most commuters ride in the front section of the train because Grand Central is a terminal stop. There were probably only a few commuters in the last three cars that had little damage.

5. Dec 1, 2013 #5 of 25
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Seems odd that four people where thrown from the cars.

6. Dec 1, 2013 #6 of 25
    Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
  7. Dec 1, 2013 #7 of 25
    Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I figure they were by the doors ready to get off at the coming stop and the doors flew open during the crash.

8. Dec 1, 2013 #8 of 25
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The windows were shattered by the impact with the ballast and the cars skidding on their side. Where the windows were would have been open with people falling toward them.

9. Dec 1, 2013 #9 of 25
    Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    They'll upright the cars tonight. And then probably move 'em tomorrow in early daylight to Harmon. Harmon is around 25 miles north of the accident and is where all Metro North maintenance work is done.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Sad to read about the four dead and some 60 injured. My first thoughts were about my granddaughter returning to school in the city after the holiday, then I realized she rides on a different branch of Metro North (the Harlem line, which runs from Pawling).

11. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well all the cars have been up righted with no additional bodies found.

12. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The train was doing 82MPH entering a 30MPH turn according to the black box.

The train has been removed to Harmon.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Wow. You'd think people would have gotten away from the doors and such seeing that and knowing the train wasn't slowing down.

Actually amazing there where not more deaths at that speed but then it did run way off the tracks before it stopped.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I do not believe the passengers had much warning. The train was not stopping at the next station so there should not have been people preparing to get off. I suspect the feeling that the train was going too fast was brief as the train hit the curve and the passengers felt the G forces nearly simultaneous with the derailment.

The train was doing 60 just a couple of minutes before derailing. If I understand correctly the maximum speed the train can travel (not where it crashed but elsewhere) was 90 mph so it should not have felt fast unless the cars were bumping around.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Oh, heavens, just saw the news this morning with some footage. Perhaps, with that speed on that curve, we're lucky there weren't a lot more fatalities.

How the engineer allowed that to happen must be a hellova story.

16. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Someone reported he said he applied the brakes but the train didn't slow down.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The brakes were applied five seconds before impact. The engine was idled one second before that. Yeah, "he tried to stop" but not until it was too late.

There has been a lot of reporting of the engineer's claim that he tried to stop. The NTSB put numbers to the claim. He was entering a 30MPH curve at 82MPH and tried to stop seconds before impact.

18. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The news reports I am seeing are making a point of the fact the engineers cell phone is part of the investigation. Maybe because the last two high speed passenger derailments were caused by the engineer texting at the time of the accident?

19. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It's being told now that he was day dreaming.

You know that feeling when you driven home and you don't remember everything of the drive.

It happens to me, when I drive home from the market on a route I been taking for almost 25 years.

And when America had more line workers, there was always at least one story a year on a worker getting their hand caught in the machinery.

It's from repetitiveness of doing the same thing. We don't realize it is happening unless something happens.

BTW, Metro North has a rule that no one else can be in the cab with the engineer, because of the distraction they might cause. But in this case, if their was someone, this accident probably wouldn't have happen.

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah, well, that's all right then........ :eek2: :rolling: I guess I'd rather have an alert multitasking texter than a half asleep dreamer....