4 HR20s - works? And ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Steve Rhodes, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    We currently have 4 HR20s, each with 2TB internal drives.

1. Can I use whole-home DVR to hook all 4 of them together?

2. I know it features a unified list. Can I sort the list so that I can see each DVR's storage separately?

3. If the list is unified, is the % of fullness of each DVR displayed separately in some way?

4. Other than signing up for the service, what other pieces do I need or should I just have D* do the installation for me?

P.S. I actually have 3 now, but I want to plan ahead since I may get a 4th.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    1. yes
    2. no, it's local or "all"
    3. only on the local
    4. You can either go ethernet or DECA which would/should be done through DirecTV].

3. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Go the DECA Route and let Directv do it as it is a little more complicated than you think and even my Installer didn't hook up my SWM16 to my Splitters correctly. I had to change them.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    And don't forget to request the Internet Connection Kit from Directv so you have TV Apps and VOD on all your HR's.

5. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Help? Re "ethernet or DECA"

What are the pros and cons? And what is DECA as opposed to Ethernet?

6. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Do I understand correctly. You can get a list which includes ONLY the programs on that one DVR?

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    DECA is Directv Ethernet Coaxial Adapter which transposes your Coax into an Ethernet Cable. You can use that or your own LAN Network but DECA works better and more Reliably.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Yes. It's the yellow button when you're in List View.....

9. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    You Hit the Yellow Button for the Unified Playlist and then you Select Local and you only get the Recordings Displayed in the Playlist for that Local DVR.

When you Select ALL you get All of the Recordings Displayed from All of your DVRs and it puts a Tag on it to Identify the Name of the DVR that you have Assigned it so you know where that particular recording is coming from and was recorded on.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    There's a ton of info regarding this, including FAQs. Short story: After reading a lot about the + and - thereof, I got DECA installed on Friday and am very happy with it.

Another take: if you are adept with ethernet, you can set up all right with just that, but possible future systems/enhancements are likely to work better with DECA.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Short Story is Directv's DECA works Better and More Reliably than my LAN and you get Support from Directv for any Problems. I have also heard from several others who Support my Opnion that Directv's DECA works More Reliably than their LAN Networks but YMMV!!!

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Not always the case depending on your setup, however, by having DECA you will get full support from DirecTV on any issues that arise and you are also preparing yourself for any future technologies that DirecTV might come out with that rely on DECA.

- Merg

13. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    With DirecTV2PC you can bring up each DVR and see the % of spare space.

You'll need the Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit for DirecTV2PC to work.

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    It is the Case with me and I was just stating my Opinion and Experience and YMMV!!!

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    DECA is supported by DirecTV, Ethernet is not.

DirecTV is going forward with new equipment and software like the HM30, Nomad, Co-Pilot and until we know their specs, we have no idea that Ethernet would even be supported. An example, you plug into H24 Ethernet jack and it disable the DECA. Only DirecTV knows, if the next model would even have an Ethernet jack.

16. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    Help me with my confusion. Are you saying that DECA would NOT use the Ethernet in my home.

17. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    No it wouldnt. Thats what deca is, Directv Ethernet To Coax Adapter. It networks all your Dvrs together over the coax. Then your free to use those network lines for something else like a blu ray player or a gaming system.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. The only ethernet in your house needed would be if you wanted to connect the DECA cloud to your home network. That would allow the receivers to access the Internet for VOD and PPV and also allow you to use DirecTV2PC and MediaShare.

For that though, you only need one ethernet connection to your router as it is bridged to the DECA cloud using a Broadband DECA.

- Merg

19. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    So, not to pic nits or :beatdeadhorse: but you should probly just replace "your" with "my" in the above sentence to avoid confusion. Certainly "my" LAN currently works just as well and just as reliably as DECA. Just sayin...

20. rlgold88

rlgold88 Godfather

Aug 30, 2006
    I currently have 4 hd dvr and am looking at getting the whole house dvr deca. I havent called directv yet, before I do can someone tell me, if I will still have 8 tuners and 2 boxes have ota tuners? Also, can each box still rec locally to its hard drive or does it rec to the main dvr? thanks!