4 states want to fine Dish for more than its market cap

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dpeters11, Jan 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
  2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But this isn't a class action, this is state AG.

But how can they demand fines of more than the total market value of their shares of stock?

3. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I realize that after I send the post. I am pretty sure that the lawyers will still be paid.

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    This will send a message to all telemarketers, robo-callers, etc., the DOJ will go after you if you violate the "No Call List" or violate a person's request not to call them.

To be fair, they should also do the same to DirecTV, as they too violate the "No Call List". As do a number of other people (Sullivan Enterprises which is contracted by The Denver Post to go after former subscribers).

So, no sympathy here.

Of course will try to pass their settlement fees to their customers by even steeper fee hikes. Even though they are now pushing the limit on way customers are willing to pay for satellite delivered channels.

Finally, Dish will not win this case. And it is nice to see that the "No Call List" is actually enforced.

5. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    They broke the law 55,000,000 times.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The amount of the fine had to do with how many times they broke the law. Not how much they are worth.

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have all of my phone numbers on the Do Not Call list and I renew them every year. Even still, I get many unwanted calls. As much as I like Dish, Dish should not be calling people that are on the Do Not Call list. That is why we are on the list.

8. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    If, as Dish says, most of the calls in question were made almost 10 years ago, I'm surprised the DOJ is even pursuing it. Even a major felony carries only a 6 year statute of limitations in most states. Then again, the current trial to determine if Dish knew they were violating the law and/or are responsible for the actions of their sub-contractors is just getting under way, so maybe we should just wait and see at this point...

9. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Did we have the Do Not Call list 10 years ago?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The FCC and FTC started the list in 2003.

11. dawning

dawning New Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Those telemarketers are really annoying, though. I always self-screen every phone call, especially if it comes from number I don't recognize. I prefer to write down the number, and check online to some complaint board sites like http://whycall.meand another similar sites to see if people have reported the number as spam. It helps me avoid answering those unwanted calls.

12. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I do the same thing, check the number online. 99% of them are junk calls or scam operations. The same numbers everyone seems to get.

13. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Unless I recognize the number or they are in my contacts, I let whoever is calling go to voice mail. I would say that 99 percent of the telemarketers that have called do not leave a voice mail message. If the caller leaves a message and it's someone I recognize, I'll call them back. If it turns out to be a telemarketer, I'll check the number online. Once in awhile if I have the time I'll press IGNORE to dump them straight into voice mail in an attempt to screw up their call 10, drop the other nine when someone answers, tactics. So far the telemarketers haven't caller ID spoofed anyone I know.

14. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    We were getting 6 to 12 spam calls a day - cardholder services commonly called twice in a day. I switched my landline to Google Voice - problem solved - and it is way cheaper.

15. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Another thing I do is if the telemarketer is using the same caller ID, I'll add their number to my "'A-word' Caller" contact, which has no ringtone. The phone simply announces "A-word Caller" so I know that happened. Prior to that the phone use to say, "'BS' Caller" and play a cow mooing ringtone. It was funny in the beginning, but I quickly got tired of that one.

16. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Because the total value of a company is more than the value of the stockholders. Technically if they got a judgement against Dish they could collect the money first before other claimholders got anything - this means employees, and debtholders (e.g., banks), as well as stockholders. Such a judgement would likely cause bankruptcy of the company which essentially means that they never expect to get anything like that out of the firm. Nevertheless nothing stops them from making an outrageous suit.

17. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Maybe the DA is thinking with a large enough judgement they can milk the cow for the next 20 years.

I'm not saying DISH would go along with that.

18. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I wonder if Dish has to pay that amount, how much will it cost us subscribers? Or is this cover by insurance or some other form?

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The fine the DOJ wants is "reasonable" ... the fine the states want is unpayable.
    It will get settled for much, much less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.