1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K and ads

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sstv, Mar 25, 2018.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    4K and Ultra HD are all the rage across the vast TV landscape. Has anyone noticed the endless ads? I view CNN and HLN a lot and it seems that every time I go to those channels I get a ad. Check google to see how much time is allocated to ads and it goes up every year. There is only one place the ad can get time and thats from the show In other words more ads less show. I am sure the ads will look great in 4K but to pay the difference between HD and 4K is crazy.
    In our home , we have a 50 inch HD Sansung in the living room and a 28 inch Samsung in my room. The pictures are great on both sets.
    I know there is a Streaming service that provides AD FREE TV. This might be the way to go. If you just have to have the latest and greatest,go for it and enjoy pretty ads.
    You should have gathered by now that I dislike ads with a passion

jimmie57 likes this.
  2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Commercial advertising has been around since the first Black & White sets were introduced. I fail to see what your ad rant has to do with 4K?

KyL416 likes this.
  3. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    I bet that those that have 4K replaced perfectly good HD TV to have the latest and greatest. Thats fine its their money and they are getting less TV. Ad free 4K would be nice but thats not going to happen so my point is to spend that much money for more ads is nuts.
    SSTV

4. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Like it or not, ad supported TV has been around since TV was a thing and they did them live on set. If you don't want any ads with 4K you have multiple options:
    Use a subscription service like Netflix for your 4K content
    stick to 4K Blurays
    only watch the PPV movies on channel 105
    only watch UFC PPVs on channel 106
    DVR the show on channel 104 and skip the ads/promos when you watch them later.

Heck if anything, they're getting LESS ads on the live 4K events on channel 106 because for some games you get the raw stadium shot instead of the ad breaks.

And paying more? I don't know where you've been, but these days 4K is the only option if you want a TV over a certain size, and 4K is now included in every package from Select and higher, while events require you to have a package that has the channel that is producing the event. (i.e. Entertainment and higher for FS1 and NBCSN events, Choice and higher for MLB Network events, Xtra and higher for NBA TV and NHL Network events, Choice and higher in market or Premiere out of market for SNY's college events, etc)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  5. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So, with your thinking people were foolish to have upgraded from Black & White TVs to color sets because of commercials, same for those who upgraded from CRT TVs to HDTVs because of commercials, and now those who upgraded from HDTVs to 4K Ultra HDTVs because of commercials. How have they gotten less TV as you stated?

6. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Active Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Why are you all even arguing with this guy?

Just because you have a 4K tv doesn't mean CNN is now in 4K. You're getting the same amount of commercials on a 4K set as you are on a 1080p set. Don't believe me? Set up a 1080p set next to the 4K set and tune both of them to CNN or HLN. You won't see more commercials on the 4K tv. CNN will be in 1080p on both sets because that's what they broadcast in (or 1080i more likely, upconverted to 4K).

What pisses me off is all the ad banners on the guide now. THAT...is annoying.

7. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    No back in the good old days there was fewer ads so upgrading your TV was a pleasure. Then they piled on more ads and the pleasure diminished. Over all TV viewing is in decline and one of the reasons is the ads. The shows are for the most part better then ever so the blame is somewhere else. Where is the point where greed takes over from necessity. 4k and ultra exist only to pump up the sagging market and so far the results are not good. The prices we are seeing is only to clear out TVs because the demand is way down.

SSTV

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You get the same number of ads whether you watch in SD, HD or 4K so I fail to see the point of your complaint. That's like saying "today's cars have more horsepower but there are potholes everywhere, so we might as well drive Pintos".

Laxguy and MysteryMan like this.
  9. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    My point is the more ads means less TV shows and you have a TV for the shows not ads. There is 60 minutes in a hour and every minute for ads means less minutes of shows.

SSTV

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your point is mute. The subject of this thread you started is really about the amount of program time versus the amount of commercial time and has nothing to do with TV sets and whether they're worth investing in.

11. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Your right about the time thing but the TV stuff is valid. Where else can you pay more and get less. I can't think of another successful product with that game plan.

SSTV

12. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    There's more to today's TVs than just viewing commercial broadcasting. They can be used for media sharing, streaming, game playing, use with DVD players, Blu-ray players and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players for viewing movies. Again, well worth the investment.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Take a look at this. The content providers are aware that the commercial segments are too long and they are losing viewers when the long segments are put up. Some channels actually use up to 7 minutes per segment now which is totally unacceptable.
    Fox wants to cut commercial time to 2 minutes per hour

Commercials have nothing to do with whether you buy a 4k TV or not. I got one in 2016 that was on sale for $749. It is a 55" Samsung KU7000 with HDR. Best picture I have ever had in my house. It is also DLNA certified like my laptop. I can go to a website on the laptop, choose to Project my screen and then what comes to my laptop is also on the TV. It has it's own web browser, apps for streaming services, You Tube for free videos, etc. Miles better than my 2009 Samsung that did none of what I just listed.

14. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    I don't have any of that stuff and after checking with my kids and neighbors there is a few DVD players but nobody could remember the last time they rented a movie. Most people just want to watch TV.

SSTV

15. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Apple products!

drpjr likes this.
  16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    In a way having lots of commercials is a GOOD thing. As long as you use a DVR the way it was intended, and skip all the commercials, they don't really affect you but they help pay for the programming you are watching. Nearly 50% of people, incredibly, have DVRs but don't use them to FF through commercials. Don't have a cite but I remember reading that a few years ago and still can't believe it.

17. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Apple is a cult and Steve Jobs was the guru

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Commercials come in very handy for me when I watch live sports. They allow me time for taking bathroom breaks, letting the dog out, grabbing a snack or beverage, ect.

19. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    You have found the solution!!!!
    SSTV

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The point is that one does not have to pay more to get less. A viewer with a SD set will still see the same increase in commercial load as a viewer with a 4K set. Less "content" without paying to replace your TV set.

What you are paying for with 4K is a clearer picture - not less commercials. And if you're not watching 4K material (for example, CNN or HLN where there are no 4K feeds) it will only be marginally clearer (based on the new set handling 1080i/720p better than an older set - not some magic where a 4K set displays pixels that were not transmitted).

Yes, it isn't fun to pay more for TV service (including SD subscriptions) each year and see the commercial load creep up . But that has nothing to do with 4K.