4K "content could not be authorized for your location" message

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cover, Jan 23, 2017.

1. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Hi,

I've been fighting with this off and on since November. Nobody at DirecTV seems to be able to help.

I have a C61K-700 client and HR54-200 Genie. All is working fine on most channels, but 4K channels (104, 105, 106) and 4K recordings always come up with this not authorized message. The C61K is on a Vizio P55-C1 TV, but does the same thing on LG OLED B6. The LG has an RVU client built-in and the 4K channels work with RVU, but not when using the C61K.

I've had two or three installers here for hours on end, most of that time on the phone, but got nowhere. I've called support multiple times and have had an escalation open for weeks, but no news yet.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables. A Samsung 4K Blu-ray player works fine on the same TV inputs and using the same cables.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks

2. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004
    It's been a "known issue" since before my position ended which was November 30th 2016, hence the escalation that you spoke about, good luck with that. There are "known issues" that are more than a year old with no relevant info on a fix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I upgraded to 4K service back in July. Experienced no issues with getting 4K service authorized but within a hour after the C61K-700 was installed the well known audio drop out issue began and continues to this day. A week ago I had my Reverse Band 3LNB swapped for a Reverse Band 5LNB. That triggered the 4K authorization issue. It took multiple resets of the C61K-700 to reauthorize 4K service.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    LNBF ?

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope. This is all in the firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see MisteryMan's post above ... perhaps it's same case ?

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've read reports where people only using a Reverse Band 3LNB or only using a Reverse Band 5LNB experiencing authorization issues. I agree with peds48, it's a firmware issue.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Any reason you went to a 5LNB?

9. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Several reasons. Mainly because there are 17 Sonic Tap channels (several that my wife likes to listen to) that cannot be received with a 3LNB.

10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    any others besides the music lol

11. SMinHD

SMinHD Mentor

Jun 9, 2006
    I believe this could be resolved at this point. Possibly just for customers who have reported the issue if they can selectively push updates out. Otherwise, perhaps the fix has been applied for everyone's benefit.

Two things to check outside of any fix they've pushed:

1. Go to Settings - Display - TV Resolutions. Make sure that 4K is enabled. If your screen goes black for a bit and returns to the screen and 4K is no longer checked, you have a problem.
    2. As for what problem you may have, I've personally seen two issues keeping the 4k Mini from being compatible.

- Try a different cable. I tried a Monoprice Active Series cable and I could not get 4K to stick in the Resolutions screen. This cable claims data throughput of 10.2 Gbps. I turned around and tried an Amazon Basics that provides 18 Gbps and this allowed me to enable 4K in the Resolutions screen. Really not sure that 18 Gbps would be required, and perhaps it's just a brand/model issue.
    - Also, I personally witnessed and the tech on my initial install also has seen it many times, the 4k Mini just doesn't like some TVs or devices, regardless of the cable.

On a TV upstairs where I had 4K successfully enabled, but without the ability to watch a 4K channel, receiving the message described here, I can now receive the channel with the same exact cable. So, I know a fix has gone out.

Others may have some more technical input here, but hopefully this helps someone.

12. cover

cover Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    The most recent software update appears to have solved the issue for me. The C61K will now show 4K content on my Vizio P55-C1. I haven't tried it again on the LG OLED since I've made peace with using RVU on the LG.

13. Wyre Guy

Wyre Guy New Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Any coincidence with Autho issues for 4K and no On Demand or Premium Channels? Seems to all have acted up at the same time.

14. jnelson2000

jnelson2000 New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    I have same issue today. On demand and UHD on demand are fine. Just 104-106. Direct tv is useless. Only thing I did was reboot the genie. Then no 4K.

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    What exactly happens when you select a 4K program from the guide?

16. jnelson2000

jnelson2000 New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Haven't tried. Stand by

17. jnelson2000

jnelson2000 New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Nope. Can download. Cannot play.

18. jnelson2000

jnelson2000 New Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Had to get an escalation and within 4 hours error send away. All good now.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    While brevity is a good thing, I have no idea what the fix was. Can you please describe?

20. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I got my C61K installed today. Got the 'content could not be authorized for your location' message. Multiple reboots of the C61 and HR54 did not resolve issue, nor calls to DirecTV and/or escalation resolved it. Between myself contacting tech support and installer contacting people on his end, AT&T could do nothing to fix it at that time.

Left everything plugged in and left home, then came back 2 hours later and turned things on. C61K gave me software update nag, which I took. Once it installed, rebooted, and came up to live TV, all 4K channels worked fine. I texted the installer and told him all was well. I did not need to reboot the HR54 once the C61K did what it needed to do.....