1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K Fire Stick

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Rich, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Nov 2, 2018 #1 of 12
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got the new 4K Fire Stick a couple days ago. In a recent thread mjwagner (Mark) told me I was wrong about the 4K Pendant. Told me I should check out the specs on the 4K FTV box compared to the Pendant. I had never done that. The box is better, I compared them. I was basing my recommendations on the fact that the Pendant is much faster than the old sticks. Which it is. But put the Pendant and the Box side by side and the difference is clear. Mark was right.

He was right about the new stick too. It does most of what the new Cube does. I have it controlling a TV set and soundbar. Big difference is you can't use a voice command to activate it, you have to press the mic button on the remote, then you can use voice commands. For less that half the price of a Cube you get most of the functions. I ordered another one yesterday.

One thing I don't like...this stick is a lot bigger than the old ones and it's hard to fit it into the HDMI ports on the OCB ports. It does come with an HDMI extender that takes care of this problem but the box I got did not have one in it. Says on the box that it's in the box but I had to call Amazon to get one. Not a big deal.

Same remote as the Cube's, does just about everything the Cube does. For the price I don't see anything out there that is better.

Rich

2. Nov 5, 2018 #2 of 12
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The new Stick does not do everything command-wise that the Cube does. And the Stick is as loud as the Cube when it speaks. That needs fixing.

Rich

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    On sale today at $34.99. I also noticed the Fire TV dongle is listed as unavailable right now.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We might have seen the last of the dongles. The new Stick is much better.

Rich

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I did like the ability to add micro-SD cards though. I don't see that the new Stick has that.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    What I should have said was the performance of the Stick has improved greatly. It's better than the dongle in that regard. I didn't know the dongle could use an SD card.

Rich

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Sorry. You're correct. No SD card support. Got it confused with my Rokus.

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Caused me to spend a few minutes staring at my dongle (don't take that the wrong way) and could not see how you'd fit a card in it. Puzzled I was.

Rich

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I set up my new Fire Stick 4K last night.

Wish they could get the channel verifications done automatically. Spent about 3 hours and still didn't get all of the verified.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Confusing me today, you are. What are "channel verifications"?

Rich

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I had to re-log into all my channels. Netflix, NHL.TV, MLB.TV, USA, TNT, TBS, PBS, HBO GO, et.al. Fire TV doesn't tell me how many channels I have, but my Roku says I have 72. While the Fire Stick allowed me to sync my devices, each channel for my new Stick had to be downloaded and then verified.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Got it. Glad to see you think NF is a "channel". I do.

Rich