4K Genie Mini PQ versus HR54

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cebbigh, Jul 26, 2018.

1. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    Frostbite Falls
    I've been a customer with Directv almost since there was a Directv. I was fine with my most recent receiver (HR44) until my 1080p TV finally died and I replaced it with a Samsung KS8000 in 2016. At that point I was out of contract and the only uses I had for Directv were sports and news because PQ and sound are better via streaming. Immediately after cutting ties last month and planning to just use Directv Now, they announced a price increase. On top of that, it became apparent to me that they are going to be working out kinks for some time to come.

I got a fantastic deal by coming back to Directv.

The biggest surprise I have found is the performance of the 4K Genie Mini over the Genie box itself. The PQ on the 54 seems equal to what the performance was on the 44. But the Mini just seems to have a much better PQ. Perhaps it is a little slower, but I don't really care so much about that.

I am just curious if anyone else feels that the mini PQ is superior to the Genie?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    First time I've seen such an opinion. Great to know! Thanx. Be really interesting to see if others agree.

Rich

cebbigh likes this.
  3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is no technology or any other difference with the HDMI out between the two devices.. Most likely what you are seeing is different settings on a different TV input

cebbigh likes this.
  4. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    Frostbite Falls
    No difference between the two would have been my expectation. Guess I'll just enjoy what I'm seeing. I know the signal is the same. The settings are the same. The hdmi cables are connected straight into the TV using the cable that the installer brought with him.

I plan to just use the 4K Mini anyway. And admittedly, I have not had the new devices for any significant amount of time. So this was just a first impression. And the question was more like: is there something behind my subjective impression that others have or have not seen? Guess I'll chalk it up to placebo effect if I'm the only one seeing it. lol.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    No, there can be differences in the appearance of PQ between different devices (and you're not the only one noticing it).

In my case it's the older equipment seems to put out the better picture through HDMI.

cebbigh and Rich like this.
  6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I fail to see why two very different devices can't have a PQ difference. I'd go with your gut feeling, I'm gonna believe what you saw. Probably a very slight difference but it caused you to notice it. Kinda like what I expect to see if I can ever justify the cost of a UHD disc player. I have a 4K upconverting Samsung disc player and I don't expect to see much difference between an upscaled 1080p BD and a real live UHD disc. I do see a difference between an upscaled 1080p disc and the 4K movies we have on iTunes (we have over 140 movies on iTunes most are 4K, I do have a platform to compare) and the PQ from the BD player is better, I think. I'm expecting a slight uptick in PQ on a 4K disc, not the night and day difference we saw between SD and HD. I have read what folks with UHD players have written, it would be great to see a massive difference but...I think I'm just gonna see a bit better PQ, just a bit...hope I'm wrong.

One of the two upscaling Sammys crapped out on me a couple weeks ago, if the other one goes I'll get the UHD player. Just don't see the need right now...if NF started mailing out UHDs I'd buy a UHD player right away.

Rich

cebbigh likes this.
  7. samthegam

samthegam Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Just got an HS17 GENIE 2 and C61K installed and I would have to say I noticed the picture quality is better. It is better in terms of color. According to my Denon receiver it is receiving signal with different color space and bit depth then it did with my HR 44/500. The C61K is outputting 10 bits as opposed to 8 bits like on the HR44. The color space the C61K is outputting is BT.2020 YCbCr I don't remember what it was on the HR44 but it was different

cebbigh likes this.
  8. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    Frostbite Falls
    That really explains a lot. Resolution would have to be the same for a given broadcast but different color space and output at 10 bits vs 8 bits on a decent set would produce better results.

LOL. If I had known that, I would have bit the bullet and upgraded my receiver 2 years ago. The deal I got now is far better than what I would have gotten then because people are leaving in droves. But in all this time, the reps I spoke with were all about sales and retention. If they had spoke to me in technical terms and assured me that the PQ would improve with the 4K mini I would have gone along a long time ago.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You only get a wider color space on 4K programming with HDR. All HD programming uses rec.709 color space so even if when connected to the C61K your AVR is reporting BT.2020/rec.2020 you aren't actually getting a wider color space watching HD channels.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    ditto

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Several members will now disagree with you. Just like they denied 4K...you know, 4K is fake, right? Like we can't see the difference.

Rich

12. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    Frostbite Falls
    Ultimately I do not have a way to objectively quantify what I think I am seeing. The one point that is not disputable is that subjectively to my eyes it looks better. Other members of my family have also commented they see better quality. I'll just leave it as I am pleasantly surprised and I'm at least getting more use out of it than just the news and sports now.

Rich likes this.
  13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I doubt the picture quality is necessarily any different than it was on a different Hi Definition device... however the settings it is using internally are probably a little different since it’s got different processors and such and therefore may be giving you a picture that is going to be shall I say tweaked differently and more to your and maybe many peoples liking.