4K install question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Kevin H, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Kevin H

Kevin H New Member

Apr 17, 2019
    hey guys,
    Had a question I was hoping you guys might be able to answer. I got DirecTV on Saturday and when they installed it, they put in wireless receivers instead of 4K receivers.
    They came out today to put in the 4K receivers. When the tech came in and looked at the TVs, he said because there was no wiring going right to the TV that he couldn’t put in the boxes. He also said that if he did put them in, there would be wires running all over my house. There is a hole in the wall that used to have cable, but when the cable company came to put in internet when we moved in, he said that they had cut the cable wire and he also couldn’t wall fish.
    My question was, is this all true? Can techs not wire a home for Directv?
    Thanks for your reply
    Kevin

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Generally, the coax runs around the house and thru the wall to the receiver.
    Running coax in the wall is called fishing the coax. Fishing costs lots more money and most do not want to spend the money to do it. I even think that most techs will not do it. For fishing you do it yourself or hire a private contractor to do it.

Wait to see what others have to say about it.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    you must hire a contractor to put good planned coaxes in a house, not just in one room
    or begin DIY project

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Incorrect info, technician is required to run the wire to your location by any means necessary which will include wall fishing. Now it may truly not be a way to run the cable where it will be visible and it may look like crap. It can be done though. Call back and escalate it.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Huh?

6. minimonster17

minimonster17 Member

Dec 20, 2014
    My experience in dealing with this would indicate that no tech is going to go an extra five miles to make the coax he runs look like a true professional electrician or home theater contractor would. Either hire a contractor to do it for you, run the drops yourself, (this is what I have done twice) or have directv do it.

If directv does it, they are only obliged to make sure it works, and they won't care if it aesthetically looks like hell but works perfectly in the technical sense of providing the service.