1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K Recording of Olympics Does Not Appear on 4K Joey

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by MikeRobertson, Feb 13, 2018.

1. MikeRobertson

MikeRobertson New Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Richland, WA
    Recorded the opening ceremony of the Olympics in 4K on my Hopper3. Looks great. Even looks like it has HDR as the HDR indicator came up when the recording started. Tried to watch it on my 4K bedroom TV with my 4K Joey. The recording does not show up in the menu. It's still on the Hopper, but not on the Joey. Anyone else see this?
    Never mind, just saw this mentioned in the general forum. Looks like the 4K Joey cannot handle HDR. Who knew?
    Update: Played around with this some more after reading about others direct accessing the tuner that was recording in 4K from the Joey and being able to view it on that Joey. I transferred my 4K HDR recording from the Hopper to my EHD. I was then able to play the recording from the EHD over the 4K Joey. Still not sure what exactly is going on here.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. jbjsm

jbjsm Cool Member

May 15, 2005
    Can confirm that channel 540 is not available on the 4K Joey. Can't emphasize how disappointed I am with the Joey "4K". There's nothing 4K about it. The only programming in 4K available on it is Netflix and it took Dish 2 Years to get it working. Tech support was useless saying that since it's in HDR the Joey 4K won't pass the signal through. My Roku 4 doesn't support HDR but it has no trouble passing through 4K HDR programming as 4K SDR. Shame on Dish for promoting fake 4K hardware at an outrageous monthly price!

amadomartinez likes this.
  3. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    and they continue to wonder why people leave with all of the false advertising & broken promises

4. Thunderbeam

Thunderbeam New Member

Mar 17, 2018
    The 4K joey does 4K, but the programming isn’t broadcast in 4K. 4K at this point, through any provider, is completely reliant on the producer. The 4K can only do VOD and Netflix on 4K due to the bandwidth it takes to send a live broadcast.