4K Ultra OLED inital purpose

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by 1953, Jan 14, 2018.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Aside from streaming services, which we do not subscribe, I assume most of us are aware that widely 4K programing is the not norm. Hence my question. From all of my research upscaling 1080i/p to 4k is outstanding. Would it be foolish to purchase a LGOLED65C7P primarily for its upscaling abilities, 4K DVD's secondly and DTV 4K broadcasting thirdly? Money is not an issue.

BTW, as far as DTV equipment is concerned I am very torn between upgrading from our 44 to a 54 or the very questionable 17.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Some on here, rich I believe is the biggest proponent, believe that the number one reason to get a 4K tv is because of how much better it can make 1080 and that 4K material is not even a concern right now. I’d agree.. especially if money isn’t an issue no chance I’d buy anything other than a 4K with all the different hdr capabilities available.

1953 likes this.
  3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would say for your big money you should take last Sony OLED TV, they use best video processor of own development.

1953 likes this.
  4. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    We bought a 65" OLED for my man cave and a 55" OLED for upstairs last fall (both 2017 LG models). I replaced an excellent 65" Panasonic plasma screen with the 65" OLED and a 53" Samsung LED screen with the 55" OLED. The upscaling is very good and both show a noticeable improvement (to my eyes anyway) on DirecTV channels. 4K sources, such as UHD DVD's look amazing; Mad Max-Fury Road was just jaw dropping.
    I have not done anything with 4K on DirecTV yet, just feel that it is not fully baked. I do not want to lose my other DVR's and the ability to record OTA on my AIM-21. Hopefully, DirecTV will come up with some better solutions for people like me because right now there is not enough to make me pull the trigger.

1953 likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DTV made futher step forward and often transmitting UHD in HLG - does your equipment support it ? Did you watch HLG UHD movie ?

6. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
  7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I agree that the upscaling is fantastic. My lower end 4k picture is awesome with a 720p or 1080i feed. I do not watch any 4k except to view a couple of clips on You Tube once every couple of months when nothing else is on DTV that I want to watch.

1953 likes this.
  8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    any of the streaming programs came with HLG ?

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    4K upscaling has to be seen to be believed. Don't get hung up on the 4K thing, if the sets were called something else they'd still give us the best PQ we've ever seen in a TV set. I can always tell if an NF offering is in 4K. Not by the PQ. The offering page has that info. I cannot tell the resolution by looking at a show, it all looks really good. Are you now planning to buy a set for yourself? I know you were considering buying one for a wedding present.

Again, I have to say go to a store and see if you can find the sets side by side so a comparison can be made. I've done that quite a few times in BBs and Costco and see little difference in the PQ of top of the line Samsungs, LG OLEDs and Sonys. Those three are the best out there I think. Lot of difference in cost. That's the big difference.

Rich

1953 likes this.
  10. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    If the tax gods are very generous my dear wife may concur. That’s a big may. The wedding gift was bought and given. A Vizio something. Not a Reference but the best lettered 55” model. They were very happy.

Rich likes this.
  11. RobLee

RobLee New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    After nothing but tube TVs for decades, we finally bit the bullet and purchased a 65" LG OLED (at the end of 2016). Other than some slight ghosting doing fast moving scenes, this TV has literally taken our breath away ... and, yes, with the right equipment, it will make older media look pretty darn good. Whenever I get the opportunity, I watch HD programming just to experience the difference. Speaking as someone who's been struggling to read televised text (i.e., sporting event scores) for years, I can honestly say that the money was well spent.

Rich and jimmie57 like this.
  12. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Good for you. Merry Christmas

13. RobLee

RobLee New Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Merry Christmas to you, too.