1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4k via RVU vs 4k Mini

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tsduke, Dec 31, 2017.

1. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    How does it compare between the 2. Would I prefer the mini or RVU.

I have a 2017 Sony 4k tv if that makes a difference?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Support for TVs is a lot shorter than support for DIRECTV equipment. Go with the C61K-700.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  3. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    My model is on the list but I know that doesn’t guarantee anything.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I believe what MysteryMan is referring to is support from the TV manufacturer. I have a Samsung Smart TV (2-3 years old), and haven't received an update since we first got it. When YouTube changed their 'format' a couple of years ago, I never received an update so I can't watch YouTube via the SmartTV app. DIRECTV on the other hand does issue updates to their equipment to keep them current.

5. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks guys.

6. Jan 1, 2018 #6 of 98
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I ordered my upgrade but I'm curious about something. I said 2 4k tv's to get 2 4k minis. I only have 1 tv currently but wanted to be ready for a second. Upon some searching I'm seeing some older posts from different forums saying the 4k tv has to be present.

Will they let me keep the 2nd mini?

7. Jan 1, 2018 #7 of 98
    MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Usually AT&T/DIRECTV prefers your TVs be present at your location during a install to prevent further service calls.

8. Jan 1, 2018 #8 of 98
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    True, but you may be all right. It's more of a problem when there's no 4K tv present.

Rich likes this.
  9. Jan 2, 2018 #9 of 98
    tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Got installed today. Tech left then I see 4K channels say not authorized for this location.

Good news is tech had no issue giving me 2 4k minis, bad news can't watch 4k.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You need to call DIRECTV and report your issue.

11. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I reported it. They couldn't fix a thing and now I have to wait for a tech to come back out again tomorrow. To top things off I keep having a audio garble/stuttering now as well. have to change the channel away and back to get it working, but it eventually comes back.

Also, I thought I was getting an HR54 but got a HS17.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww, that's so wrong. That would aggravate me no end. You have the Retention number? 800-824-9077. You call that number and politely go berserk (again, politely, you have nothing to gain by being aggressive) and tell them...how upset you are. D* should get a bit cheaper for you if you do this correctly.

Rich

13. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I already called and said the whole "cancel" and got the loyalty department. I was good until they wouldn't do anything for me, but set up a tech for tomorrow. This will be the 3rd wasted day because install day 1 they no showed no called me.

Only other thing she would do is 2 days credit. I said if it's not fixed tomorrow I will cancel and no way I'll pay a etf.

As I was typing this a resolution guy called back and stated it's normal for 4k channels to take a day or say to start working.

Here is the audio issue on 1 tv only so far and is the one connected to my Marantz AVR.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Watched the link, that's just nasty. Interesting but nasty. What would cause that? Have you tried CSR roulette at that number?

Rich

15. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    I haven't called the number at all. I only did the "cancel" thing when I called. And that was before you posted the #. Will that get me something different than "cancel"?

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I too have a 2017 Sony-and I went with a C61K only Difference is I ordered My C61K back in May of 2017 from Solid Signal - When I got the Receiver Delivered - I called SS and they activated it - as soon as that happened the c61k Did a Firmware update - everything went really well avoid Directv at all costs

Wolfmanjohn and I WANT MORE like this.
  17. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Are the 4k channels included in your current package - My where and they came as soon as my c61K was active! If you account is not at the 4k "included" package -that may be true as the Directv servers would have to all be updated before you account is auth for 4K service

That last number will get you to the old Loyalty department

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No, gets you to what Retention had evolved from. The Loyalty Department...feeling any Loyalty at the moment? It was much better before the merger.

Rich

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Sorry I missed that you got installed today was it a Genie2 if so that is an ISSUE with that platform i'm using a HR54 & C61K

Once you get it working - DO NOT turn the C61K off -Leave it on you will glad you did only turn everything else off -so when you want to watch tv again it won't have to look and find nothing to connect 2 -That's another Genie2 issue

Next year this time it all be a Bad dream - of course a lot of folks will have gone away

20. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Spoke to soon. 4k tv is doing it also. It is not "yet" hooked to a AVR. Audio through tv, but it seems to recover on it's on on this one.

I was told firmware updates will take 24 - 48 hours and that 4k channels could also take that long.
    Current firmware:
    HS17-0xd80
    C61K-700-0x7e6

This is a bunch of crap. I will be canceling and going to Dish if this isn't fixed within 24 hours. I've been treated like crap to much.

And yes this company blows since the merger.