4K with HR44

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by heelsfinl4, Jan 18, 2021.

1. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4 Mentor

Oct 20, 2006
    I currently have an HR44. I know that I cannot get any 4K using that receiver. I was just wondering what the easiest method would be to get 4K on my DTV? Would an HR54 work?
    I’m looking to do this in the easiest way possible that kind of meshes with my current set up already. I’m not sure a solution exists, but I thought I would ask. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    As MysteryMan and others have posted here several times. Hopefully this helps-

‘If you decide to upgrade to 4K service there are two ways you can go (HS17 or HR54). The HS17 is a headless server. It has a 2 TB Hard Drive and cannot be connected to a TV. It only works with clients. The HS17 works with two 4K streams at once. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive and can be connected to a TV. It will work with Receivers, DVRs and Clients. The HR54 works with one 4K stream at once. Both the HS17 and the HR54 need a C61K-700 client for 4K service.’

In the end- call DirecTV and say you want 4K. You have options depending on your setup.

3. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    depending on your setup the HS 17 might not be a good choice for you if you have mix and match boxes since it's capped off to only adding the clients to it. where's the HR 54 you can still keep your old boxes dvrs if any and go with the main genie and a 4k client. the client will need to be hooked up to your 4k set since the main genie won't do 4k. another drawback with the HS-17 is no stand alone HD box add on for 7.00 a month for things like camping..

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You can go with a HR54 or a HS17. The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It can be connected to a TV and will work with Receivers, DVRs and Clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HR54 works with one 4K stream at once. The HS17 has a 2 TB Hard Drive. It is a headless server and cannot be connected to a TV and will only work with clients. For 4K service it needs a C61K-700 client. The HS17 works with two 4K streams at once.

5. heelsfinl4

heelsfinl4 Mentor

Oct 20, 2006
    Thanks for the clarification. So the HR 54 setup seems closer to what I have now. When you say 1 stream vs 2, do you mean I can only record one show in 4K at a time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HR54 can view/record one 4K stream at once. The HS17 can view/record two 4k streams at once.