4line dish to swm

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Pcv76, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Pcv76

Pcv76 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I've never tried to setup a directv system before so looking for educated people to point me in the right direction.

I have an older 4 line dish setup at a cabin I bought. It came with the property and was in use by former owner.
    I have a hd box without a built in power inserter that I would like to use out at cabin a couple weeks a year. It will be just the one box.

Can I buy a power inserter and hook it up to one of the coax cables and power the dish this way or do I need something else...

I apologize if I've left anything out but I'm not familiar with how it all works.

2. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    What Model is it H-24 , H-25, H-23???

And what do yo mean by power inserter? The receiver if it is older has a built in power supply vs the newer receivers that have external power supplies...

A power inserter is what is used to power the SWM lnb.... Your cabin doesn't have one from your description...

Those 4 lines come down from a legacy Slimline 3 or 5 lnb and should go to a ground or 6x8 switch.... then lines to the receivers..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  3. Pcv76

Pcv76 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Sorry, I'm sure that info would be useful here. I'll have to get back to you on model when I get to cabin.
    Will it require something different dependent on the box?
    All I know off hand is that it doesn't have a power inserter.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If your system at home is SWM, take a look in the settings and see if it says it is a Slimline 3 or a Slimline 5.
    Next you will need an LNB that matches the one at home, then you need a 21volt power inserter.
    Hook it up according to the diagram. Then plug in the ac power to the inserter, then plug in the receiver. It will probably automatically pick the correct satellite system for set up when you turn it on.

Welcome to the forum.

5. Pcv76

Pcv76 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    If it helps it is a new box I just received in April.

6. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Look at the back of your receiver underneath the F connector or Sat In coax port... if it says SWM then just get a SWM lnb , a PI 21 power inserter and pick one line to use down from the dish and make sure is is going to the room you are going to use it in and plug the cable from the wall into the RED port on the Power inserter and then get another cable from the ORANGE port on the power inserter and plug it into your receiver...

Pcv76 likes this.
  7. Pcv76

Pcv76 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks
    I'll do that!!

8. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    4-way-swm-splitter1.jpg

Here is how it should be run if you want to get a SWM splitter but if the lines go to a ground block you won't need the splitter if you aren't hooking up anymore rooms..

Pcv76 likes this.
  9. Pcv76

Pcv76 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Thanks again guys. I'm not hooking up anymore rooms but
    the line is not grounded so I will get the splitter too.

You guy are great!

10. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Unless its an H25 I'm not sure what the advantage is in replacing the LNB. That's the only model in this scenario that would require that. All the other ones would take the legacy line just fine with no LNB replacement or PI required.

11. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    phase iii.jpg slimline 1.jpg slimline 2.jpg
    Assuming the dish at his cabin is a slimline, he will need a bbc if it's not a swm setup. I'm not convinced it's a slimline, could be a Phase III dish. Does it look like one of these? The first one is a Phase III dish, the other two are versions of the Slimline.

12. Pcv76

Pcv76 New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I should have taken pics before I left of everything.
    Not sure if it's a slimline or not.
    Will be out there tomorrow and look it all over and report back.

13. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    He has a swm at home.... so it would be easier for a NON tech to just change the lnb and add a PI

14. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Why do you say he has a swm setup at his home?

15. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    I'm inferring that it is an H-25 if he just got in in April of this year.... Odds are it's an H-25

16. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Not necessarily. He could have gotten an H24. Don't assume!

P Smith likes this.
  17. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    It's not an assumption, it's an educated guess. Don't condescend!

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm not being condescending. I'm trying to help the poster. Having all the facts correct is important to do that.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My son's H21 died earlier this year, he got an H24 for a replacement.

20. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    As am I ... It is much simpler to switch to a SWM system at his cabin regardless of his RX...