1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$50 Stick Turns Any HDTV Into an Android-Powered Smart TV

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    This looks really cool!

"If you're wondering how you can breathe life into that old TV set, the FAVI SmartStick might be what you're looking for. For $50, you get a dongle that provides your TV with Android and access to streaming movies and music.

The stick, which runs Jelly Bean and packs 4GB of storage, plugs into any HDMI port and uses baked-in Wi-Fi to provide access to the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Epix, YouTube, and Pandora. It comes as standard with a full internet browser, but because it runs Android you can download anything from the Play store, too."

Complete article here.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You're right Chris, this is cool. A very affordable way for people to access streaming on their older HDTV's that have years of life in them.

3. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Wow, that is cool. I might have to consider one.

4. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    They have come out with a wide variety of Android sticks since this old thread was started. I just picked up the CX-919 and its a more up to date model with better overall specs (see below). Its basically an Android tablet that plays on your TV. So you are able to download Apps from the Google Play store.

I like the fact that you can browse the internet and use a mouse and keyboard with this, which Chromecast doesn't appear to be able to do. I picked mine up from a deal where it was ordered directly from China and it was $62 with free shipping.

• Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS
    • Quad Core ARM Cortex A9,Rockchip RK3188 1.6 GHz
    • GPU offers 3D graphic with OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG 1.1
    • 2D/3D GPU (4 x mali 400, 500MHz)
    • 2GB DDR3 RAM,8GB Nand flash ROM
    • Wifi:IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Built-in AP6210 WiFi(2.4G)+Bluetooth 4.0 Module

Here is a link to a YouTube video about it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ha-MsNdxScw