50 Worst Songs Ever???

Discussion in 'The OT' started by invaliduser88, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    If I spent sometime, I bet I could come up with a better list than this.:D

Blender Magazine's list of the 50 Worst Songs Ever:

1. We Built This City ... Starship ... 1985

2. Achy Breaky Heart ... Billy Ray Cyrus ... 1992

3. Everybody Have Fun Tonight ... Wang Chung ... 1986

4. Rollin' ... Limp Bizkit ... 2000

5. Ice Ice Baby ... Vanilla Ice ... 1990

6. The Heart of Rock & Roll ... Huey Lewis and the News ... 1984

7. Don't Worry, Be Happy ... Bobby McFerrin ... 1988

8. Party All the Time ... Eddie Murphy ... 1985

9. American Life ... Madonna ... 2003

10. Ebony and Ivory ... Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder ... 1982

11. Invisible ... Clay Aiken ... 2003

12. Kokomo ... The Beach Boys ... 1988

13. Illegal Alien ... Genesis ... 1983

14. From a Distance ... Bette Midler ... 1990

15. I'll Be There for You ... The Rembrandts ... 1995

16. What's Up? ... 4 Non Blondes ... 1993

17. Pumps and a Bump ... Hammer ... 1994

18. You're the Inspiration ... Chicago ... 1984

19. Broken Wings ... Mr. Mister ... 1985

20. Dancing on the Ceiling ... Lionel Richie ... 1986

21. Two Princes ... Spin Doctors ... 1992

22. Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American) ... Toby Keith ... 2002

23. Sunglasses at Night ... Corey Hart ... 1984

24. Five for Fighting ... Superman ... 2000

25. I'll Be Missing You ... Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans and 112 ... 1997

26. The End ... The Doors ... 1967

27. The Final Countdown ... Europe ... 1987

28. Your Body Is a Wonderland ... John Mayer ... 2001

29. Breakfast at Tiffany's ... Deep Blue Something ... 1995

30. Greatest Love of All ... Whitney Houston ... 1986

31. Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm ... Crash Test Dummies ... 1994

32. Will 2K ... Will Smith ... 1999

33. Barbie Girl ... Aqua ... 1997

34. Longer ... Dan Fogelberg ... 1979

35. Shiny Happy People ... R.E.M. ... 1991

36. Make Em Say Uhh! ... Master P featuring Silkk, Fiend, Mia-X and Mystikal ... 1998

37. RicoSuave ... Gerardo ... 1991

38. Cotton Eyed Joe ... Rednex ... 1995

39. She Bangs ... Ricky Martin ... 2000

40. I Wanna Sex You Up ... Color Me Badd ... 1991

41. We Didn't Start the Fire ... Billy Joel ... 1989

42. The Sounds of Silence ... Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

43. Follow Me ... Uncle Kracker ... 2000

44. I'll Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) ... Meat Loaf ... 1993

45. Mesmerize ... Ja Rule featuring Ashanti ... 2002

46. Hangin' Tough ... New Kids on the Block ... 1989

47. The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You ... Bryan Adams ... 1996

48. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da ... The Beatles ... 1968

49. I'm Too Sexy ... Right Said Fred ... 1992

50. My Heart Will Go On ... Celine Dion ... 1998

2. homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    MAN!

I guess I'm going to have to drop my entire Karaoke act down at the pub on Friday Nights... I was just getting good at “We Built This City” too…..

There are a few good songs on that list... for the real "Bad Song Prison" check out this link http://www.mitchalbom.com/songprison.asp and my favorite selection is the "OU Marching Band"

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    It's obvious the people at Blender have no clue about music :D
    The following songs are on my MP3 Playlist

Kokomo
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)
    The Sounds of Silence
    I'll Do Anything for Love
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

And it's amazing, the other 45 songs on the list I never heard of, and most of the artists I never heard of either. And who ever voted Angry American to the list must be some relation to Sadaam or Osama.

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I have always liked these kinds of lists.

They missed the real #1....
    In the Year 2525 by Zagar and Evans.

I disagree with:
    6. The Heart of Rock & Roll ... Huey Lewis and the News ... 1984 Great party song. A band I used to mix sound for did this song in their act and it always got people up on their feet.
    16. What's Up? ... 4 Non Blondes ... 1993 I actually have this one in my Sirius memory
    28. Your Body Is a Wonderland ... John Mayer ... 2001
    41. We Didn't Start the Fire ... Billy Joel ... 1989 Should be required study in high school history class.
    42. The Sounds of Silence ... Simon & Garfunkel ... 1965

As for some of the others...
    7. Don't Worry, Be Happy ... Bobby McFerrin ... 1988 A one hit wonder. He tries to forget the song himself. He went on to be the conductor of the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra in St. Paul Minnesota.
    12. Kokomo ... The Beach Boys ... 1988 I never considered this a real Beach Boys song.
    15. I'll Be There for You ... The Rembrandts ... 1995 One of the two Rembrandts is a former customer of mine. A very talented person, but I always had him pegged as a jingle writter.
    26. The End ... The Doors ... 1967 Probably the most depressing song in rock n roll, taking a whole side of their first album.

5. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    What, no macarena????

Attached Files:

6. toenail

toenail Hall Of Fame

Oct 15, 2002
    I gotta disagree with Sounds of Silence. A great song. I have to disagree with Richard about "What's Up". As soon as I hear the first strains of that monstrosity, I change the station. I agree, though, that Zager and Evans' "classic" should be on the list. Also missing is the putrid "Afternoon Delight" by Starland Vocal Band. It makes my skin crawl.

7. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    One song that IMO should have made the list was Never gonna give you up by Rick Astley. Really any song by the afore mentioned singer should be on this list.

8. Stosh

Stosh Godfather

Dec 16, 2003

Who cares what Blender Magazine thinks? Music is a matter of personal taste, and what some of us hate, others love. Though I admit I would put that Toby Keith song as the number 1 worst. Ostentatious flag-waving isn't patriotism, it's pandering.

I could fill a top 50 worst song list with nothing but Britney Spears, Christina Agulera (sic), N'Stync, Backstreet Boys, and Justine Timberlake songs. But that would require me to actually have to listen to 50 of their songs, which might drive me insane. Sort of like what happens to my neighbors, when their 12-year-old daughter starts playing her CDs. :)

9. MikeSoltis

MikeSoltis Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    Amen to that.
    A Rolling Stone wannabe mag which says that Outkast is "Officially the greatest band in the world" is not entitled to influence my choices in music, thank you verry much.

Seems like many of these 50 'worst songs ever' made a lot of money also :lol:

And how can a real 'worst songs ever' list not include gems like "Elvira" and the new commercialized Aerosmith and Metallica??
    And could not possibly be complete without the 'retelling' of "Behind Blue Eyes" by Limp Bizkit with the wonderful video starring Fred "Look at me" Durst (retelling=we can't figure out how to play the original so we'll put some uninspired 'rap' bridge in it). I'd rather hear the original on 8-track over an old AM radio.... :rolleyes:

Of course, this is America and (currently) everyone can have their own opinion and even (currently) disagree with me.

10. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    I question many of their choices. I can think of quite a number of songs that are far worse than many they've chosen ("Afternoon Delight" comes to mind, and I get nauseous). As to "Angry American", well, it's simply a diatribe pandering to a sense of uber-patriotism for commercial gain. And Toby Keith is a real a**hole, too. And no, I'm not a relative or supporter of Saddam nor Osama. :sure:

11. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    We finally agree upon something!!! :D :D

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Whatever happened to "In the Year 2525"? And hey some of those songs were MEANT to be throwaways.

13. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    In the Year 2525, one of the greatest Rock songs ever. Love that song. It's so fun to sing along with. :D :lol: I have it on several compilation disks for in the car.

14. RobC

RobC Cool Member

Apr 14, 2004
    My wife has to hide the knives when Gloria by Laura Branigan sneaks into the car or house.

15. RobC

RobC Cool Member

Apr 14, 2004
    And "I love a rainy night" by Eddie Rabbit should be Constitutionally banned.

16. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    I don't know about the worst, but I think the best song ever is "That's how I beat Shaq" by Aaron Carter, now if only Yao Ming and the Rockets would put that single into their Discmans, mp3 players, dvd changers, etc and start listening like they were in the regular season.
    Unfortunately it seems the only superstars that had listened to that song are Reggie Miller, Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Tim Duncan and David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Karl Malone and John Stockton.
    I suppose those other guys used a time machine to listen to "That's how I beat Shaq".

17. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    There are guys who are posers who only act like they like music they're "supposed" to like.
    I don't care at all, I'm not poser.
    If I think the theme song to the 80's cartoon "Jem" is a great song, I'll say it.
    If I think "He's a Real American", the old school Hulk Hogan theme song is a great song, I'll say it.
    If I think the Theme Song to "Chip n Dale's Rescue Rangers" and the Theme Song to "Disney's Ducktales" are great, I'll say it.
    That being said, I think these songs from the 50 worst songs list rock, #1, 3,6, 7, 14, 15, 19, 21(how can anyone put Shaggy Doo in the 50 worst list?), 23, 24, 25, 28, 29, 30, 35, 41, 44, and #49.
    I say generally speaking, if the song was on Alvin & The Chipmunks, then there's a 95% chance it rocked.

18. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    I can't believe "Two Princes" by Spin Doctors and "Breakfast At Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something made that list. IMO, they were two of my favorite 90's songs. I guess they were too catchy for Blender Magazine... :rolleyes:

19. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Looking at this list, IMHO they hit the nail on the head with "We Built this City". Gawd what an aweful song! I hated it back in '85!

But where is the classic ultra-garbage like
    Georgie Girl by (I think) The Searchers
    Seasons in the Sun (we had joy. we had fun. we had seasons in the sun....good-bye to you my trusted friend...) Egad! I remember the lyrics!
    Me and You and a Dog Named Boo by Lobo
    Heartlight by Niel Diamond
    Song Sung Blue by Niel Diamond
    Forever in Blue Jeans (or an some people call it "Reverend Blue Jeans") by Niel diamond
    ANYTHING by Niel Diamond!
    Baby Elephant Walk by Henry Mancini
    Popcorn by Hot Butter
    Theme to the "Greatest American Hero" (Believe it or Not I'm Walking on Air)
    Don't Wory, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
    Atlantis by (I think) Donovan
    Wildfire by Michael (coulnd't afford the Martin) Murphy (a co-worker's choice...I actually like the song)
    I can't remember the title "Cherokee People...Cherokee pride...so proud to live...so proud to dieeeeee...." by Paul Revere and the Raiders.
    I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit Rock&Roll by Donny & Marie
    "Loving You" by (no it wasn't Olivia Newton John) Minnie Rippington (cover your ears when you hear this one...impossible note could shatter your computer screen)

There's more, but those come right to mind.

See ya
    Tony

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.