501 finally died

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by jkane, Jun 7, 2010.

1. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Glad I kept my second as a spare! Called dish support, they were willing to replace it, but didn't want to help troubleshoot it. I just had them re-enable my spare one. It came up fine.

The problem was a hard drive failure. It would play live TV just fine, but would not record anything, not let me watch anything recorded, and came up on power up with an error message that pretty much said it detected a problem and would not be able to do anything but play live TV. Very nice description!

I was thinking about trying the code posted in another thread on this forum about formatting a hard disk. Then again, might not be worth the effort. It lasted a decent amount of time. I can't even remember when we got it. It was a very early one as I was really excited about having a DVR! Or .. PVR as they were called back then.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just replace the HDD to new one, 80 or 120 GB, but be aware of approved drives.