501 tying up phone line

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by David_A, Jun 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David_A

David_A Banned User

Nov 13, 2003
    Okay this is wierd. Up until about a month ago everything was working fine. All of a sudden my 501 starts tying my phone line. I get no dial tone and when anyone calls it goes straight to viocemail. I called DISH and they told me to turn off my reciever for an hour so it can download my pending PPV. Well I did that and no luck. So I decided to leave it turned off over night. It is still doing the same thing. Anyone else have this problem or know of a way to fix it?

2. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    if I understand what you are saying, the 501 is "killing" your phone line?
    did you have some lightning storms recently?
    have you tried diagnostic on your 501?
    sounds like a bad modem in your 501, just unplug the phone line from your 501

3. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Do you have DSL? My 510 made things weird when I forgot to put a DSL filter in line.

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Wat they all said. What worries me is your implication that you do not put your 501 into stand-by ("off") evry night. It's an important thing to do.

5. David_A

David_A Banned User

Nov 13, 2003
    Yes it kills my phone line. I haven't tried a diagnostic yet, I will try that tonight. I really like my caller id popping up on my screen, so that's the only reason I care about it.

My reciever goes into sleep mode if not used after a period of time. Is that the same thing as stand-by?

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Not sure, but that's probably why they added the feature. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.