508 problem.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by iublue, May 5, 2009.

1. iublue

iublue Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    My 508 has been acting up. Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Sunday evening it was recording a show for my wife. I tried to watch a previously recorded program and the replay would start and freeze, then continue and freeze. I finally gave up.

After the record shut off I tried resetting it by pushing the power button for 15 seconds (whatever it took). Seemed to reset but after it went through all 5 signal acquisition levels the screen went black for a while and it all started over. It continues to cycle and no picture.

The next day I unplugged it all day. After I plugged it back in, the picture appear UNTIL my wife tried to change channels. The same results of cycling.

Unplugged it overnight and the same thing happened.

I have tried removing the smart card.

The 508 in another room works fine. No problems.

Is it a lost cause?

Thanks.

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Might be the hard drive failing.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yup, sounds like the hard drive died. That thing has to be at least 5 years old, and DVR hard drives get worked really hard 24/7/365, so it's not that surprising.

4. iublue

iublue Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Excuse my ignorance but would the hard drive dying affect the tuner? It would seem like that is two separate issues.

I can not even watch TV on it let alone record it.

Thanks.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    DVR receivers have a buffer in order to rewind/pause live tv. The tuner may be first, but the hard drive comes into play before you can watch whatever is being viewed. So no, the hard drive may not have a direct effect on the tuner, but it does effect what you can view.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    garys is correct: everything you watch is actually off of the hard drive. Live TV is buffered to the drive and then read back off for you to watch. And the DVR's drive is recording at all times.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DHPP will cost you $5.99 call and order it then set up a replacement for your 508 shipping is free and the worst it could cost you is $29.99 for a service call. After repair is completed cancel DHPP and enjoy you DVR.