508 Record Problem

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by nicepants, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicepants

nicepants AllStar

Apr 11, 2002
    I set a timer on my 508 to record a show for me yesterday morning. When I got to my apartment (about 2 hours after the recording was to have finished) the power light and the record light were still on. I turned on my TV to look but there was no video coming from the PVR. I had to unplug it to get it to reset, and now it won't play back that event. When I select it it tells me that the duration is 1:00 and when I press start the screen flashes & the buttons just change from Start, Erase, Protect, Cancel to View, Erase, Start Over, Protect, Cancel.

Anyone else had an issue like this?

I have been able to record other programs since then with no problem.

2. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    probably a "one time glitch" wouldn't worry unless it continues to happen

3. geobernd

geobernd Mentor

Nov 4, 2004
    Sorry for reviving a thread that is almost a year old but:
    I have had the exact same problem twice in the last two month (that's twice since I got E*) on my 508. Including the described change of options in the menu.
    The second time I had a recording on Saturday night that showed the behaviour, another one later on Sunday morning that was fine. I then had a third one on Sunday evening that showed the problem again. Interestingly while the problem was happening Sunday evening I was also not able to go back in the live buffer (while this show was recording) - I hit the reverse key, see the progress indicator, hit play, it pauses for a second and then jumps to live again.
    A reboot seems to have cleared this for now.

Did you see it happen again? Does anyone else have this issue?

I am not so happy with my E* equipment (I had to get E* for an international channel that is not on D*). My D* Tivos never had to be rebooted, never lost or missed a recording or had any recording that was unplayable - and that in over 3 years.
    E* for two month and two reboots and two problems already...

P.S. All my equipment is hooked up to a UPS, my secondary Tivo currently shows an uptime of 402 days since it's last reboot (which was probably a longer power outage....)...

4. zman977

zman977 Godfather

Nov 8, 2003
    This happend a couple of weeks ago on our 510 when my wife recoreded ER. I was playing x box at the time and she tried to blame the x box for the problem. I had to explain to her that it was just a glitch that happens once in a whle, we have had this happen before on our 501 in the bedroom but she claimed to not remember that. Have to love selective memory. The x box does not have any effect on the DVR because the DVR records internally so me playing x box would have no effect on the DVR recording. She was convinced though that because I was playing x box at the time, that must have been the problem. Now I have proof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.