522 - L2.06 Software Release Notes

Discussion in 'DISH™ Software Release Notes Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Just got this here this morning from Dish - L2.06 release notes for the 522:

Fix for audio sync (lip sync) and audio loss issues

Support for a larger hard drive

Scott, over at Satguys, is also reporting fixes for the clock and miscellaneous callerid fixes. Those were not mentioned in the notes that I received.

L2.06 will start spooling on a limited basis tomorrow, 10/22.

Here's the deal on the larger hard drive support - sometime in the future (maybe late this year, more probably next year) there will be a new version of the 522 shipping with larger drives in them, giving users something more than 100 hours of record time. This update addresses that. There are (unfortunately) no plans to allow current 522s to upgrade to larger drives either by the user, or by sending them to Dish for replacement.

2. JerryR

JerryR Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 17, 2004
    Good news! Thanks for posting this Mark.

3. omnibus

omnibus Mentor

Jun 24, 2004
    I had no problem with guide button resets for several weeks. I'm still on version 2.05 and suddenly I'm getting unintentional resets daily. Is this piece of garbage retrogressing or what.

I'm compelled to keep dish in order to retain nearby locals (Denver) instead of DirecTV's east and west coast feeds. Dish is also my only source for WB & UPN programming. My local cable company's analog feeds (networks and more) are unacceptable quality wise.

4. javaman

javaman AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    That's good news. I sure hope it does the trick. How long does the software update usually take? Does it use the phone line? Thanks.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Legend

Jun 19, 2004
    Less than five minutes, and no it doesn't use the phone line. The trick to getting the software update as soon as possible, is to make sure that there are no yellow or blue lights on the front panel when you aren't using the unit. It will download the update when it tries to update the programming guide info, if your unit's serial number is in the specified range of serial numbers. That is to say, on day one they allow a small range of serial numbers, then a larger range, then larger, until the range allowed includes all units. In this way, if there is a major defect that they overlooked, they can limit the number of customers they piss off. If your Updates are scheduled for 3:00am and one or both of your tuners aren't in standby mode at that hour or you have something scheduled to record at 3:00am, you won't get the update even if your unit is supposed to. Then again, what do I know.

6. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Of course not. E* doesn't give a damn about existing customers until they are threatened by something.

7. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    I received 2.06 yesterday and watched a couple hours of recorded events this morning. I observed no audio sync problems that I had experienced, albeit infrequently, in the past. I did see a few instances of very sudden video degradation, something like pixelization, but those occurrences disappeared in a split second. So far so good, more work to go, but this looks like progress.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Legend

Jun 19, 2004
    Hey, I got L2.06 today. At around 7:00pm tonight I will post an update: for the past week or two, my two Mon-Fri timers for 7:00pm have not been recording. I will let everyone know if with L2.06 they continue to not record, or if they start recording. Of course if they start recording on schedule, it doesn't mean that L2.06 necesarily fixed the bug that caused the error. If they start working it could simply be that the upgrade process cleaned up a mess that will be created again if the bug is not fixed.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Legend

Jun 19, 2004
    Hey, my 7:00pm timers that didn't work in L2.05, don't work in L2.06. So I deleted them completely and then added them back. I'm sure that will fix it, in other words, I'm sure the bug hasn't been fixed. I had a GoD today. So, so far, the bugs that weren't anounced as fixed in this version, weren't fixed in this version. I haven't had a single loss of sound or sync issue yet. And since Single Mode and PIP and all that cool stuff was added, this is the first day where I didn't see any sync issues. This is the first update where I have actually noticed improvements.

10. adv_dp_fan

adv_dp_fan AllStar

Sep 5, 2004
    Well I haven't had out of sync audio yet, but haven't played with it much since the upgrade showed up on my 522 yesterday. But I did notice one area where the audio dropped out and then about a second later the video broke up. It all cleared up and was fine a second later. Pressing skip back and playing through the area again and it all played fine without problems the second time through so I suspect there are still some playback issues.

11. javaman

javaman AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    Received the 2.06 update yesterday. I tried several times to transfer a 2 hour recording onto videotape. With each attempt, at some non specific point during the playback, the picture would bleep and stutter and the audio would go out of sync. :mad: I even tried this with the other tuner turned off. Using the skipback button corrected the sync problem but ruined my recording. This is very frustrating as this problem makes it impossible for me transfer many of my recordings to tape and clear room on the hard drive.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Legend

Jun 19, 2004
    Hey, maybe they invented some sort of VCR detection device.

13. adv_dp_fan

adv_dp_fan AllStar

Sep 5, 2004
    I'm guessing that the sync problems aren't all worked out. Last night I started watching a recorded program and only wanted to watch the last few mins so I hit the fast forward and zipped to the end. Then had to rewind a bit and then started playing. The audio was very out of sync. Nothing seemed to correct it. Dropped out to live tv and then resumed the recording and that helped some, audio was still out of sync but not as bad. This was the same with 2.05. This is the only real bug with the 522 that really irks me. If I watch the show all the way through, no problems but if I want to skip forward then I have problems, it's frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.