1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$54.95 for Tyson/Lewis - Any Bites?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by MikeW, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jun 3, 2002 #1 of 13
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Just saw the fight will be on PPV for $54.95. Anyone biting at this offer?

2. Jun 3, 2002 #2 of 13
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Yikes thats high, I guess I will be heading to my local sports bar to watch it. :)

I watched the Hollyfield / Rockman fight on Saturday. I have never seen a head swell up so much / so fast in my life!

3. Jun 3, 2002 #3 of 13
    Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    $54.95 is absolutely rediculous, but I can see why because the boxers get paid a SH*TLOAD of money, and they have to make up the profit somehow. I guess we better be ready to bend over. :)

4. Jun 3, 2002 #4 of 13
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I remember when boxing was actaully on broadcast TV. You could see championship fights and fights between rising stars for free.

Of course the present system with multiple premium venues and high PPV prices is a BIG improvement.

5. Jun 3, 2002 #5 of 13
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Friday Night Fights on ESPN2 and Tuesday night Boxing on Fox Sports Net are the closest thing you'll find to free boxing any more unless you want to count the crap on UPN.

As to the $55...it's $5 too much for me. :) I love boxing, but I'll wait a week and catch the replay on HBO a week from saturnday. I'll just have to miss the undercard.
    IBFJr. Featherweight champ Manny Paquito is defending his title against the former world champ Jorge Julio.
    And former 130 lb champ Joel Cassamayor is fighting a 10 rounder with Juan Jose Arias.

Both these fight are probably going to be better technically than the heavyweight show. But these are the fights that will not be replayed.

And in just 3 weeks, a very good match-up is coming to PPV. Barrera v. Morales for the Featherweight Championship. Both these guys are among the best technical fighters I've ever seen. But again...I'll have to catch them on the 29th! :)

And for those that long for the "good ol' Days" of "free TV" boxing...Remember the Ali-Frasier match live on TV? How about Ali-Foreman? You sure? If you do, it's either a manufactured memory or you had a home satellite system well before they were affordable to mere mortals. This fights and almost all subsequent fights of the same stature were on closed circuit TV in venues accross the country with a fairly steep admission. They were broadcast a week later on ABC's Wide World of Sports.

Once cable had enough penetration, they switched to PPV.

Scott, if the Rachman fight was a Rocky movie, he would have sait "Cut-it! Cut-it!" :) That was one hell of a hemotoma! I've never seen that kind of swelling before. He started to look like Herman Munster!

See ya
    Tony

6. Jun 3, 2002 #6 of 13
    jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Tony-you mean celebrity boxing ISN'T the REAL DEAL!!!???!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

:hi: :shrug: :computer: :wave:

7. Jun 3, 2002 #7 of 13
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Tony, you appear to be the resident boxing expert here. Have you ever heard of a fellow by the name of Antonio Tarver? He is a contender for the Light Heavyweight title and has spent a good deal of time training here in Vero Beach. He had looked into staying in a rental property that the bank and I own here while training for a fight earlier this year. He seemed like a fairly nice fellow when I met him for a few minutes.

8. Jun 3, 2002 #8 of 13
    STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    I can't believe that you don't know why they are charging sooo much.
    It's being aired from an ancient pyramid built by 'royal' Tennessee mountaineers on the Mississippi River.
    It might be the other house that 'Jack' built? :D

9. Jun 4, 2002 #9 of 13
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The Magic Man! Yes I've seen him on Friday Night Fights.

Taver is a contender for the IBF, but I don't think he has it to make it to the top even in that division. He had an incredible left hand! But he doesn't have enough to compete with the top boxes in the weight class. I think Taver is the #3 or 4 contender.

Anyway, Tavers will have a hard time getting by Roy Jones Jr. (if Roy ever fights him).

See ya
    Tony

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I agree that the Ali Frazier and Ali Foreman bouts were not on free TV. But many title bouts were. So were many fights between contenders. Today none are. Ia m not balming anyone for this development but I am saying that it sure did not help the average fan----and I am not sure it has helped the sport.

The current prices are too rich for my blood.

11. John Walsh

John Walsh Godfather/Supporter

Apr 22, 2002
    Didn't anyone see the Holyfield / Rahman fight on HBO this past weekend? Well I guess it wasn't a title fight but it that knot on Rahman's head was pretty sick.

One thing I do miss about cable was my descrambler box (yeah I know it was stealing but I was a kid, I thought I was cool to get ALL the channels free)

12. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I just got the joke. Boy Ia m slow.

13. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I wouldn't pay $.05 to watch Tyson fight. This really kills me, when I was a kid, we used to watch Ali and Patterson fights live on broadcast TV. That was exciting. This PPV crap is for the birds. They are getting too damned greedy, just like all other sports players, gimmee, gimmee, gimmee.

BTW, what's Don King's cut from this? Or whoever the greedy, money grubbing monger of a fight promoter is.