54 being replaced with a 17. What should I be aware of?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by narrod, Sep 15, 2018.

1. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Directv will be here on the 29th to make the change.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The HR54 has a 1 TB Hard Drive. It can be connected to a TV and works with receivers, DVRs and clients. It works with one 4K client at once. The HS17 has a 2 TB Hard Drive. It is a headless server. It cannot be connected to a TV and works only with clients. It works with two 4K clients at once.

3. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I much prefer the HS17.

compnurd and Wolfmanjohn like this.
  4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If you read a lot of posts you get the impression that the 17s either work very well or they have serious problems. Seems like a crapshoot. Read the posts that detail how well they work then read the posts where the problems are reported and the frustration is obvious. I don't doubt the negative posts and I don't doubt the positive votes. The posters of positive opinions are adamant about how well the 17s work. Just like those who post about problems, they're adamant too. Crapshoot, I wish you luck.

Rich

5. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    So I will need a 6th mini to go with the 5 I currently have. Correct?

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    With the HS17 you lose PiP capability and the ESPN streaming that you get on the HR44/54.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes. If you have a 54 and 5 clients, you will need 6 clients as the HS17 doesn't supply a signal to a TV liked the HR54 did.

What clients do you currently have? I think they all work with the HS17, so you may just need an additional client where your 54 is attached.

Go wired where possible. If someone tells you the 17 is only wireless (clients), tell them they are mistaken and show them the DIRECTV Users Manual.

8. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Don't use PIP and don't know about ESPN streaming.

9. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I refused wireless minis on the original install. All are wired.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    There seems to be a push to go all wireless with the HS17.

11. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I hope not. I understand the wireless minis can be glitchy.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    If you have cabling you will be good I have a HS-17 with 6 minis and love it.. Speed destroys the HR54 setup

13. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Like hearing of your experience. That will be my setup exactly.

14. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    Had an appointment scheduled for today 9/29 to install the HS17. Made the appointment three weeks ago. Went online to check this morning and the appointment had been changed to October 29th. Not by me. Must have been the Directv gremlins. :-(

15. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I would call and get it rescheduled. Why wait a month?

16. Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray Legend

Aug 19, 2006
    Good luck. I had the same upgrade scheduled three times in the last three weeks. Each time they sent me numerous texts (including when two hours into the scheduled 4 hour scheduled period) indicating that they would make the schedule. I even had to text back "yes" a couple times to indicate I was still expecting the install. Then, the first two times they failed to show after failing to communicate they wouldn't be there. Each time I then spent lots of time trying to schedule the next install. Last time I spent 90 minutes on a "chat" before they said they couldn't help and I needed to call the following number (which turned out to be their big, one for all initial telephone number). Then the installer showed on the third appointment; however he said he didn't have a Genie 2 and wanted to know if I wanted a HR54. I said no. So, he left in his truck and returned 2 hours later with a Genie 2 that he located in a warehouse 40 miles away. He installed a new pole, dish, reverse LNB and the Genie 2 and C61Ks. However, since I was on the AT&T system; they could not "match" the Genie to the mini clients. The IT people would have to do some "magic" and he left for other appointments (leaving me no DTV). He called that evening from home and said IT people had done their thing and over the phone he walked me through finishing the install.

Good news is the the system is working fine, and the HLG HDR looks great on my Z9D.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Supposedly Directv has equipment shortages right now, for both HR54 and HS17. If that's the case, that might be why appointments are getting missed or pushed back. Though they still should tell customers about this instead of just changing appointments or not showing up.

18. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I did reschedule for 10/3. I have zero confidence they will keep it. I'll keep trying because I'm a bit stubborn.

19. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    This must be in different parts of the country. My neighbor just got a HR54 and he does not even have a 4k TV. He was expecting a HR44 and the installer gave him a HR54 instead being that is what he had the most of. He also got a reverse LNB plus an additional dish with LNB for a tripod setup for his RV.

20. narrod

narrod Godfather

Jul 26, 2007
    I have a 54 and I don't, yet, have a 4k TV.