5G Service...Anybody Have This?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Rich, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Somebody here must have this new service. Speculation I've heard, I'd like to hear from folks that actually use it.

Rich

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure, beta testers

3. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Like Cell service or the Home 5G?

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't even know enough about 5G to answer that. I guess I'd be more interested in the Home version. I remember watching a video about it, details are kinda hazy. Box on a utility pole feeds the home?

Rich

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Eh Kinda of.. LOL The "home versions" i have seen right now use mmWave 5G. Verizon offers it with speeds up to a Gig.. But the areas are small right now

As far as the phone service my buddy has a Samsung S20 5G on ATT which just lit up alot of coverage.. Speeds are good in spots he says

techguy88 likes this.
  6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I checked TMobile's home internet page and it looks suspiciously like the TVision page. Drenched in pink with very little technical specs and woefully incomplete. After clicking endlessly on links, I *think* its 25mbps for $50/mo. Pass.

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And Verizon has it, huh? Just for phone service? Seems like they gave up on FIOS. At least in my area. I know the website says it's an ongoing thing but we have seen nothing. Yeah, the home version would interest me. I have no complaints about my phone service. Can't really complain about my ISP either. A new toy would be interesting.

Rich

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No it is a full fledged Internet service

Verizon 5G Home Internet | Verizon

Rich likes this.
  9. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I haven't seen any 5G Home Internet come from AT&T yet. AT&T right now appears to be focusing on expanding their 5G footprint for the cell phone services. They lit up a lot of 5G coverage this month across the country. My area is now 5G thanks to AT&T which shocked the h**l out of me because it was towards the end of the 4G roll out for all 4 providers.

I have an eligible plan (Unlimited Elite) but I don't have a 5G phone. Apple is supposed to have 5G in the iPhone 12 based on the leaks. Although AT&T's pre-order offer for the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G is very tempting (free w/trade-in for new & existing customers and lines) and could temporary take me away from Apple.

For those interested here is a comparison of the various Unlimited plans offered by the Big 3:
    unlimited comparison.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is good that AT&T's 5G is now actual 5G in many places and not the "5G Evolution" service they pushed from December 2018 through May 2020. That kind of deception is memorable and can sour an opinion of the company.

11. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    I'm glad about that as well but it is AT&T they have to make something confusing ROFL. IIRC they did something similar when either 4G or 4G LTE started as well.
    ------------------------
    Also something I missed earlier. Verizon is updating their Unlimited Plans effective August 20, 2020. They are calling these "new" plans with the same name & pricing as the "old" plans listed in the above table. Here is the list of changes:
    • Just Kids will become an Unlimited Plan instead of metered data. The data speed is maxed at 5 Mbps and gets 480p SD streaming resolution. Rest of the plan remains the same.
    • Start Unlimited customers will be able to add 5G Access to their plans for $10/mo.
    • The following changes affects only Start & Do More Unlimited:
      • The Disney+ perk is shortened from 12 months down to 6 months.
    • The following change affects only Play More Unlimited:
      • Apple Music is no longer included in the plan as standard. Instead new customers will be eligible for a 6 month trial.
    • The following changes affect only Play More & Get More Unlimited:
      • The Disney Bundle [which includes Hulu (ad-supported tier), Disney+ & ESPN+] is added as standard.
      • Existing customers currently receiving 12-months of Disney+ on Verizon can upgrade to the "new" Play More or Get More Unlimited and get The Disney Bundle included. They also have the option to stay in their current plan with the Disney+ trial and pay $6/month more to add Hulu & ESPN+ to complete The Disney Bundle.
    • The following change affects Play More, Do More & Get More Unlimited:
      • Premium Data & Streaming Video Resolution are combined into a singular "Premium Network Access" feature which includes:
        • 50GB per line of Premium Data. After a line uses 50GB Verizon may slow speeds due to network congestion. (This benefits the Play More & Do More plans but Get More gets knocked down as it previously would have 75GB of premium data.)
        • All three tiers now include 720 HD streaming (user must enable this feature in plan settings.) Do More Unlimited sees the benefit here as it was locked to 480p SD.
    Updated Comparison Table:
    unlimited comparison 2.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  12. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    After the "new" Verizon plans take effect this fixes a chief complaint I've had about Verizon mainly to 5G Access. Now that it is included as part of their unlimited plans outright would make it easier to switch to them. I can see the Play More & Get More plans appealing to Disney fans a lot so kudos for Verizon on this.

However ultimately AT&T's Unlimited Elite makes better sense personally for me and the reasons why:
    • All 4 lines on my plan need a top tier robust plan (mainly for the Mobile Hotspot.) AT&T Unlimited Elite is $20 cheaper/mo than Verizon. I can't "mix and match" because the rest of the people on my plan would get upset. Also AT&T's Protect Advantage for 4 devices ($40/mo) is cheaper than Verizon Protect Multi-Device plan ($50/mo for coverage on 3 lines + $11/mo more for the 4th line.)
    • I would normally keep HBO year round regardless if it was free or if I paid for it. Having HBO Max included in my plan is more appealing to me than The Disney Bundle and Apple Music that comes with Verizon's Go More Unlimited.
    • Also I'm not interested in sports but having AT&T Unlimited Elite + The Disney Bundle ($12.99/mo) and a $9.99/mo streaming music service (either Apple Music or Spotify Premium monthly) equals out to $222.98/mo. Getting Verizon's Go More Unlimited on all 4 lines and adding HBO Max separately would be a total of $234.99/month.
      • I actually pay for Apple Music annually ($99/yr), Disney+ annually ($69.99/yr) and Hulu's basic tier annually ($59.99/yr) so those three services effectively cost $19.09/mo for me. By having those three services + AT&T Unlimited Elite for 4 lines I effectively pay $219.09/mo and get an extra streaming service (HBO Max) included.
      • If I were ever to switch to Verizon and get their Go More Unlimited plan for 4 lines ($220/mo) plus HBO Max ($14.99/mo) I would pay $234.99/mo for similar services and get ESPN+ which has no value for me.
        • Pricing wise the Play More plan would be better as Play More Unlimited for 4 lines is $180/mo, Apple Music yearly would break down to $8.25/mo and HBO Max standalone is $14.99 to the effective total monthly cost would be $203.24.
        • However I would be killed over reducing the mobile hotspot down to 15GB/line and there is a videophile in my family that would notice the drop from 1080p HD to 720p HD on a smartphone. I don't like conflict.
      • Not to mention my DirecTV would go up by $25/mo if I switched to Verizon so that's the big kicker there. I would have to go with YouTube TV + Epix and cancel my D* to balance out the pricing. Ultimately it is cheaper for me to be on AT&T than Verizon.

13. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    We have a 4-line unlimited family plan with T-Mobile for $120/month, but it also includes Netflix and MLB.TV.

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know its all about the money, but I’m hoping when cell phone companies start offering home internet service they heavily discount it for existing cell phone customers. I’m tired of having to pay twice to be on the internet (cell phone and cable internet).

15. techguy88

Mar 19, 2015
    True. That would be amazing if they did that.

Well I'll get to try out 5G in my area soon. AT&T has a deal going on for the new Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G & Note 20 Ultra 5G where all customers can save $1000 w/trade-in. I took advantage of this offer for the Note 20 which makes the phone free and should get my phone soon. It's been years since I've used an Android phone. I was shocked as h**l the offer was good for existing customers upgrading an existing line in addition to new customers and add-a-line scenarios.

krel likes this.
  16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I expect share plans that mix "fixed" wireless locations with portable devices. The carriers have that for 4G.

17. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    keep us posted on how you make out with ATT 5G service. i had a friend buy the note 20 5G. he was telling me that it was the worst exp in his life. since his 5G was like dial up speeds. he sent the phone back under buyers remorse and got a google pixel. it would be interesting to see how you make out from what he has told me ATT is having software issues with there 5G. why don't that surprize me. and you can't force the note 20 5G to look for LTE only from what i heard. i'm on verizon's 5G and it's pretty intense. i also belive the note 20 5G can download at 6 GBPS depending on network enviroment with no latency or next to none

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    techguy88 and Rich like this.
  18. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    we have that got sick of paying 100 smackers a month to rectum cable for a crappy 400 MBPS conn. i love it it's blazing fast and most of the time it hit's over a gig though there's gonna be variables involved to how fast you go. not everyone will be able to get the full speed of 5G!!! the router has amazon alexa built in it as well as so do the wifi extenders. the modem has ports for a landline and a alarm system.. and there's NO data caps!!!

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ

Can you tell us your location? The router's not the usual cable company hunk of junk? Got a model number? What's the whole package like? Got photos? My heart is filled with lust.

Rich

20. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    location los angeles here is what i have been getting for speeds in boston on my sammy note 20 ultra!!! i'm not at home now where's i have the 5G modem router bb.jpg