1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5LNB self-install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DanM, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanM

DanM Cool Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Hi guys,
    I'm a longtime D* customer, currently with 4 DirecTivos on a regular 2 LNB dish, and am looking into upgrading one to an HD receiver. I really don't want to deal with installers and all that crap, and it seems like the dish and switch are easily found on ebay. I've always installed my own dish, run my own lines, etc. So what I'm wondering is, how difficult is the installation of the dish? I watched the video from the SolidSignal site, and they use an electronic meter to help align the dish- is that really necessary?

Thanks!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Would I do it without a meter? Sure.
    What is harder than the older dish is the narrow Ka beams [99 & 103 SATs].
    If you watched the video, you know about the fine tuning that isn't on the older dish.
    You really need to "nail" the Ka SATs.

Also the 5 LNB dish is heavy so it needs to be mounted into something solid [framing].

3. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    You'll have no problems using your receiver instead of a signal meter. It's much easier to do a 2" pole mount, haul the receiver and a small TV out to the dish, and align from there.

As a long-time eBayer, I prefer to buy my AU9-S Slimlines from Summit Source, since they have always come with the WNC (Wistron NeWeb) LNB. They're drop shipped from Perfect10 Distributing in Arkansas and arrive in just a few days. This is a large item, which can be permanently damaged in shipping..... I don't need to deal with LNB brands I don't want or which don't work or with dishes damaged in shipping, because shipping this dish back to an eBay seller makes it not worth any saving. The price is already ridiculously low considering what you are buying.

4. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I put up my own 5LNB dish and used the signal meter on the HR20 to align it.

Everything works fine.

5. redwoode

redwoode AllStar

Oct 16, 2007
    Did mine myself as well. Bought a meter before the install but in hindsight could have done it without. Used receiver meters to fine-tune for best 103b signals anyway.

Good luck!

6. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Don't need the meter. Signals off the reciever (H or HR 20/21) are sufficient. If you have seen the video already, you are half way there.

7. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I paid to have my Slimline installed because it was a bit of a spooky location and at my age I'm not to excited to fall 30 feet off a steeply pitched roof onto a concrete driveway. If not for that I'd not hesitate to give it a try. My installer had dropped his meter and broken it several months ago so he used a tiny TV and an old receiver right at the dish. Plugged in one of my long extension cords in the garage and he was off and running. Nailed the settings across the board.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
  9. DanM

DanM Cool Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Awesome, just what I was hoping for. I've got the dish and switch ordered already, and will just prowl around looking for the best deal on a receiver. I take it there is no problem with me simply using the same 2 coax runs I already had hooked into the DirecTivo, right?

Its probably futile, but I guess I will now have to find an HR20. My locals on the sat aren't carried in HD yet.

Thanks guys!

10. techrep

techrep Hall Of Fame

Sep 15, 2007
    The meter is a convenience device and saves time but is not required.

Rough point the dish to sat 101 (set tilt for sat 119) and then, as VOS says, "nail" the fine adjustment of sat 103b.

As K4SMX says, Summit Source has a good rep as does Solid Signal.

11. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    One thing many people mistakenly do the first time they assemble a Slimline: install the 3 tilt screws backwards. Once you start to put it together you'll see what I mean. As long as your mast is dead plumb, after setting the EL for your location, you should have no trouble finding the 101.

Additional info: Advisory to Do-It-Yourself Dish Re-Aligners, post #44, as applicable. Pay particular attention to the comments about understanding how the mount is designed so you don't accidentally damage it.

12. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Ah come on. Don't take all the fun out of it by giving away all the oopsies. :lol:

13. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    :lol: It's such a PIA oopsie, though, because you have to disassemble so much just assembled stuff! Not the way you want to begin your "Slimline experience"....

There are worse things. I know you've been around long enough, Robert, to know that sick feeling you used to get when you realized you'd just soldered the center pin and all four holes for the shield on a PL-259 coax connector and then saw the screw cap laying on the floor instead of already on the coaxial cable. Not too good when you put it on the cable, but put it on backwards, either! :nono2:

14. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I always got a chuckle out of the rookies putting together the AT-9. Everyone the first time either put the skew bolt/nuts backwards and/or put the side car on with the LNBs pointing out.

Yes, I'm a SOB. I've let some of them install the dish with the LNB that way. Wait for the them to try and find the 119. Hold my laughing. Ask them to step back and take a real good look at the dish. I'ts great, you can see a little countdown clock until a moment of clarity. :D

15. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    More like a blinding flash of observation! :eek2:

16. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Does the mounting pole (I'd like to attach to a brick wall ) have a bigger footprint than the mounting pole for a 2 - 3 LNB dish? It would be great if this new wider mount would allign with the holes already there.

17. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002

No, the holes for the new dish are wider and will not fit the hole pattern of the older pole. THat is the reason for the pole adapter that uses the older pole;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150189380905&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=005

18. DanM

DanM Cool Member

Jan 13, 2003
    So are you saying with that adapter, I can simply lift my 2 LNB dish off the mount, and slide the 5LNB back on? Are there any sturdiness issues that could arise from that (or are the two mounts essentially the same, diameter not withstanding)?

I have my 2LNB dish mounted on a 2x4 that I screwed into a stud on the corner of the house. The 2x4 is secured at the top, bottom and middle, so it's pretty sturdy.

19. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Yep!

You'd need two monopoles. Attach them to the adapter at the bottom of the mounting ferule and extend them horizontally to each of the two 2x4 on either side and screw them down.

That will make the mounting extra sturdy.

20. DanM

DanM Cool Member

Jan 13, 2003
    It's one vertically mounted 2x4 actually, with the current dish mounted approximately in the middle. I mounted it there and that way to clear some foliage that I can't do anything about, nor am I able to put a pole anywhere in the yard. If only I had rented across the street, coulda been facing south without worrying about any trees. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.