1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5LNB Upgrade and Picture Quality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mjferguson, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    I just upgraded to the 5LNB dish and obviously a new multiswitch to get the new HD channels that are coming out. I already had 2 H20s and 1 HR20 receiver. After the upgrade I have noticed a pretty big degrade in picture quality. Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this? Maybe I am just imagining things, but it sure seems like the picture has a lot more artifacts and is not as detailed on text and things like that. The only new things that were introduced (I believe) would be the multiswitch and the new dish itself? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    You've checked all your signal strengths on the 103(b) and they look good? Lots have found that to be a buig source of the headache. If the dish is even a little off it'll screw up the new MPEG-4 stuff

3. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Why is it that there are literally dozens of threads that start out like this, with literally the same wordage, and yet with zero actual information?

The huge consensus by the vast majority of folks is that the new Ka/Mpeg4 channels are a stunning improvement in both picture quality as well as system stability as a whole.

If you aren't receiving that, your simply doing something wrong. The install may have been buggerd (not an unusual situation, but it's your responsibility to check the work done). You haven't given the most basic of information to allow anyone to give advice, from the equipment you are using (display, interconnections, etc.) through signal strengths (ALL 5 satellites, including your actual location and HD/locals if any). That information is the most basic things every posting should include; it's like taking your car to the local garage with some vague "it isn't running right' declaration and expecting that it's going to be fixed.

Yes, it eventually (maybe) will. Several days/weeks later, at whatever expense. Please provide basic information as listed above.

BTW, this ought to be in a 'sticky' somewhere in these forums, rather than the usual page or more of back and forth 'teasing' of basic information from folks who have some sort of problem. This is basic troubleshooting 101.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Three words of advice. Get dish re-aligned.

5. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    And what is your point of reference? Had the H and HR recievers with an old 3 LNB, so only seeing old MPEG 2 channels prior? Start with all your signal strengths, then we can work from there.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The poster asked a simple question, which deserves a simple and polite answer:

I suspect you have a problem with your dish alignment or possibly with an LNB. I would call DIRECTV and request a service call.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    We are here to discuss DBS and this is certainly one of those issues. There's nothing wrong with the original question ..

8. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    My signal strengths all look good in the 80s to 90s. I am receiving all the HD channels fine and they look pretty good as HD usually does. the picture quality difference that I believe I am seeing is in the SD channels. Things like the tickers on some news channels and ESPN News just look terrible now, almost unreadable. If I am getting good signal strength is there anything else that could screw up the picture? Like I said everything else is exactly the same except the new 5LNB dish and the multiswitch. Sorry if I posted a vague question I just don't know whatelse to say. I have 2 H20s connected to 2 Sony LCD TVs and 1 HR20 Connected to a Sony SXRD TV. The TVs are the same as they have always been so I didn't think that mattered in my quality changes.

9. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    If you are seeing the same problem on all the tvs you may have some issue in how the tvs or the receivers are set up.
    1. what connection do you have between the tvs and the receivers- component? hdmi?
    2. What settings do you have on the receivers for the picture output?

Answer those questions and people may be able to help you more

10. mjferguson

mjferguson Legend

Feb 3, 2004
    All TVs are connected through HDMI just as they were with the old 3LNB dish. The output on the receivers is set to Native(on) and all outputs are selected(480i,480p,720p,1080i). Like I said the setup has not changed at all between the 3lnb dish and the 5lnb dish. Should I be changing this setup because the dish was upgraded?

11. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Do you have a multiswitch, or are all 4 cables from the dish going directly to each of the boxes inputs?

Edit: Never mind... I see that one was added.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can see my setup in my sig below, but I have similar equipment and settings.
    Some SD just looks like crap, while others can be "zoomed" with my Sony [SD letterbox] quite well.

13. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I have a HR20 and a 60" SXRD and just don't have the issues you do with SD. I am using component out presently

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Is this to me or the OP?
    My XBR2 does a great job scaling.
    Some SD is compressed to 480 x 480 for the SAT feed, so by the time it gets scaled to my 1920 x 1080 TV, it can look a "bit weak" since there is more "made up" than "real" in the picture.

15. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    A lot of resolution and Native On / Off seetings are user preference (very long thread around here somewhere from a few months back).
    I agree that the bettter TV's make some of the SD just look bad, total agreement with VOS.
    I personally prefer only 720p and 1080i check for resolutions and Native On, but others will disagree based on their TV's.

16. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Try setting everything to native off and just set the otuput res on the boxes to the diff tvs native res and see if that helps.....my plasma (58" panasonic) likes native off 720p only.

17. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The ONLY thing that changed was the dish? If signal levels are good, then there is nothing about the DISH that can make text fuzzy or not fuzzy. Dropouts, yes. Fuzziness, no.

I posit this...when you reran setup to get the new dish active, maybe the settings changed on the receivers. Maybe you were uprezzing ESPNews to 720p or 1080i via the box and now it is 480i or p out of the box into the TVs.

18. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Well, a multiswitch and B-Band converters were also added.

19. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    If you're getting artifacts and the only thing changed is the new LNB, with appropriate BBCs and the multiswitch, I would start with swapping around the BBCs and see if you can notice any changes.

You shouldn't have any 'artifacts', period. So that would point to a bad LNB, BBC or multiswitch.

Assuming - as other posters have pointed out - that you have NOT changed the settings of your TV. Particularly any 'noise reduction' settings.

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    The OP indicates fuzziness. Are we talking artificats or just loss of sharpness. Again, the dish et al will not affect sharpness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.