5th HR20 since Oct 2007!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bnwrx, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Just activated my 5th HR20(a 700 this time) since I signed up for HD in Oct. Various issues caused all to fail. The last one was a 200 and suddenly tuner 2 quit.That one lasted the longest, 3 months. I think being a 12 year subscriber and supporter of DTV I expected better of their HD equipment. Although I never have had the service DISH forums seem to indicate a more reliable receiver. So far DTV has replaced each one for free but still this is silly to have units this unreliable. My old(7 yrs) DTV Tivo unit still is fine!! Frustrated!!!!!!!1

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    What all problems have you had?

I got my first 2 HR20-700's in September 2006 and added a 3rd in May 2007. I also got a HR21-200 in September 2007 and still have all the originals.

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    That is rotten luck!

I hope this one performs as it should.

Hang in there and we will help you! I think in the long run you will be satisfied with your choice.

4. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    With that many "bad" boxes you have a deeper system issue. Either in power, the lines/connectors, the dish/LNB or some combination of.

As for quality of the HRs:
    #1 in service since 9/2006 - No issues
    #2 & 3 in service since 3/2007, one had do go back due to a bad Mpeg4 decoder.
    #4 pre-production HR21-700. Working as advertised since 7/2007.

I truely believe that one key aspect of why my setup is nearly issue free is that it's all new D* approved cable from end to end. Nothing was reused when I setup. All solid copper, all compression fittings. No staples holding it in place, no splices, no sharp bends. It's textbook if you will.

5. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Robert, that is what I am thinking and that is why I am wondering what all problems the OP had. Something is going on in his setup unless the OP luck is just that bad.

6. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Absolutely. Once you get past your first (or second) replacement, its time to take a real good hard look at the rest of the system. While I'm no math whiz, the statistics or odds really start pointing to something else. Once you hit the 5th or more, well, with those odds I wouldn't leave the house if there was a thunderstorm within a hundred miles.

7. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I think its my luck. 1st unit in Oct. right out of the box with the installer here, 2nd tuner did not work. Installer did not have another unit to give me, DTV shipped one, it worked for 2 weeks, then would lock up, freezeup, and lose all recorded programming,phone tech did several hard resets but problems continued, so 3rd unit sent to me, this one was fine until Christmas day when it froze and phone tech nor I could get it to work or even turn on. Another (4th) unit sent to me which worked fine until this week when tuner 2 gave up the ghost, so now #5?? I've had 3 -700 and 2-100. When they work they are quite remarkable. My connections are all solid, good strong signals, power supply is fine as other electronics I have are quite stable. It is a mystery but like I said DTV should have better equipment.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I agree. I have an HR20-700 since 9/2006, an HR20-100 since 3/2007, and an HR21-200 since 10/2007. Also an H20-600 and an H21-200. New cabling/connectors, a well-aligned dish (AT-9), all my DVRs run off a UPS, and my multiswitch configuration is "powered" removing dependence on the receivers powering the LNBs. Other than the "known" software bugs from time to time, no problems. No equipment ever replaced.
    I am sure many of the issues people report are really installation-related; it still may be a DVR fault in that the DVRs are more susceptible than they should be to some of these installation-related issues.

9. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    If you have the PP call them up and schedule a service call.

If you do not have it sign up. You may need to wait 30 days. Wait the 30 days and get a service call.

10. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    QUOTE:I agree. I have an HR20-700 since 9/2006, an HR20-100 since 3/2007, and an HR21-200 since 10/2007. Also an H20-600 and an H21-200. New cabling/connectors, a well-aligned dish (AT-9), all my DVRs run off a UPS, and my multiswitch configuration is "powered" removing dependence on the receivers powering the LNBs. Other than the "known" software bugs from time to time, no problems. No equipment ever replaced.
    I am sure many of the issues people report are really installation-related; it still may be a DVR fault in that the DVRs are more susceptible than they should be to some of these installation-related issues.

Texasbrit. I only have 1 HR20, no multiswitch and as stated before all signal strengths are in the mid to upper 90s.

11. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Are you using a UPS? The DVRs seem to be very vulnerable to power supply problems (much more so then regular computers) and many homes have very poor power quality, much worse than the "official" specifications.
    I have seen a couple of posts from someone who had a background in power distribution and who got the electric supplier out to measure various parameters of the supply (not just voltage) and found that the supply to his house was a mess. Add to that the voltage variations caused by putting start-up loads on in-home circuits (we've seen reports of problems with window air conditioners, and there were all sorts of reports of holiday lights causing issues) , and if the DVRs are poor at handling out-of-spec power, you have a recipe for problems.

12. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    Power may be an issue but the bigger question is "should" the equipment be so sensitive to power issues? Is it going to be a requirement that to use a dvr that you have to have a high dollar ups/line conditioner?

13. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    My HR20 has ben working fine since October of 2006.

14. dwlevy

dwlevy Mentor

Sep 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Including the three I have now, I have gone through six HR20s. All three of mine running currently lock up every few days or so. I just RBR and they're fine for a while. I just have resigned myself to living with it. With each software update that DTV pushes out, they get a little better, so eventually I hope they'll become stable. I will add that except for locking up, I really like them.

That said, I never had any issues with my three SD DTivo boxes. They ran for years without ever needing to be rebooted. My five year old HR10-250 is still connected and used for OTA HD as it is rock solid and never locks up or misses a recording, so I doubt that my issues stem from bad cabling or power.

15. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    How hot is it running?

16. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    All three lock up? That is a system problem, not the DVR's. Power, multi-switch, cabling, LNB, alignment, etc.

17. prestoru

prestoru AllStar

Oct 14, 2007
    I had 3 HR20s replaced in October/November. All three of them were "refurbished".The brand new HR21 I got in November is working just fine with the same set up, and my HR10 worked fine with that setup for a few years previously.

I don't think the vendor is doing a good job of fixing defective units

1. HR20-700 HDMI port stopped working.
    2. HR20-700 randomly stopped responding to all commands, both on remote and on box.
    3. HR20-100 Started rebooting continuously one hour after install .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.