1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 Genie Minis - What do I need

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sdotson, Mar 30, 2013.

1. sdotson

sdotson New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    We are renovating a home. While I have all the walls open I'm going to run coax to the spots I will want TVs.

I've done a lot of reading but it has only confused me more.

I want to have 1 Genie main unit and then 6 mini clients. They will not all be used at the same time (maybe 2 mini's and the main at any given time)

The diagrams I've seen show a maximum of 7 outputs from the splitter after the SWM. One of these apparently needs to be the cinema connection kit.

So what do I need to make all this work? Will it work?

Explain it to me like I'm 5 ;)

2. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    The Genie uses 5 sat tuners, the clients merely use a tuner of the Genie. The signal can be split more than the 8 times your needing and the connection kit doesn't use a tuner just a spot on one of the splitters. In your home you can use one 8 way and maybe a 4 way would be best. The sattelite can support in most residential situations up to 16 technically more if needed.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No problems, DIRECTV will install the hardware you need for your configuration. Just run all the cabling back to a central spot.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not sure I would use a 4-way after an 8 way. This would be considered a 32th split!!! There is a minimum of 21db loss just on the splitters alone, laving only a "couple of dbs" of "play"

5. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Your right, I didn't necessarily mean use the 4 way after the 8 way. But if your having DirecTv do most of the install you should be fine.

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Just keep in mind that, with your proposed setup, you will never be able to use more than 3 clients at at time. You might be better off getting 3 Genie Clients and 3 HD receivers to go with your Genie. That way, if you ever need to, you can use all 7 TV's at once.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The OP said he sees only a max of two clients being used at one time.

8. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    concurrent viewing is possible on up to 3 clients at a time

9. ryanh9992

ryanh9992 Cool Member

Jan 4, 2013
    One thing I will say is its a lot easier to get what you want on initial install than it is down the line so I personally reccomend a mixed system maybe like prior posters said.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    While the walls are open, I'd recommend running two wires to each potential TV spot -- one for DirecTV and one for OTA.

If you exceed 8 tuners (receivers=1 tuner each, HR2X DVRs=2 tuners each and Genies=5 tuners each), then during your install, DirecTV will install a LNB with 4 wires running to a multi-switch that allows up to 16 tuners. Each box will only require one coax.

The Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) doesn't count towards the total number of tuners.

11. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Understood. I should never have more than one receiver used at one time. Then my sister's family comes to visit, every few years, and 3 isn't enough. I was just pointing out that, for the same monthly bill, the OP can have more flexibility if he ever needs it.

12. afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    I agree and with more than 3 clients you also will have the added hassle of pairing and removing clients when you move around the house and the client that you want to use has not already been paired to the Genie.

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    ????
    Don't understand your response. Once you add/pair a client to a Genie that's it, the client has been added/paired, unless you tell the box to replace it due to adding another Genie. I move clients all over the house for testing things and don't have that issue.

14. sdotson

sdotson New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks for all the info guys. This is exactly what I needed.

3 more questions:

1. So you can have more than one "main" client? I did not know that. If this is the case does it get confusing determining what is stored where? Or is it all listed in one list? You're right about maybe needing more than 3 tuners at times. Also as the kids get older I'm sure they will want to be watching at the same times as mom and dad.

2. Any special coax I need? Will single cable RG6 solid copper work?

3. There seems like there is going to be a lot of stuff (SWM, splitters etc..) to be mounted in the garage where the dish comes in. Would any of you advise having them mount it to a piece of plywood or similar vs having them mount it all to the wall?

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The clients have no storage capability; they can only play recorded material that is on the Genie.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Only the HR34 or HR44 stores recordings, the C31/C41 clients don't store any recordings, just play what's on the HR34/HR44.

DIRECTV's standard cable is solid copper core RG6.

What can go into the garage will be a splitter and maybe the power supply for the SWiM LNB. Mounting a plywood board might allow for a better mount they just screwing things into drywall.

17. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you want stuff mounted to a piece of plywood, you need to put that in before the installer gets there. That isn't something they would be likely to do on their own.

Also, to make sure you understand all the details...

You can only have 3 clients paired to your HR34 or HR44 at any given time. It can sometimes be tricky to un-pair and re-pair them.

You won't save any money with clients. You pay $6 a month for a tv location whether it is an HR34, an HR24, an H25 or a C31. If you get six C31's you will be paying $36 a month for them even though you can only use three at any given time. If you get six H25 receivers you will pay the same $36, but will be able to use all six simultaneously.

There is no good solution for tv locations that are only used on a very intermittent basis When you deactivate a receiver, you normally have to return it to DirecTV, then pay to get it replaced when the time comes to get service back in that room. So it tends to be more cost effective just to pay for the service all the time.

18. sdotson

sdotson New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Yes I realize the mini clients don't store shows. But can they also access the non genie DVRs? Can the regular DVRs access the main genie?

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes to both questions.

Now a question to you, are you planning to have other STB's besides the Genie and clients, your OP didn't mention any other boxes?

20. sdotson

sdotson New Member

Feb 4, 2013
    You are correct. Originally I had only mentioned the master Genie and several mini clients. Someone mentioned that I may want to look at replacing some of the mini clients with DVRs to increase the # of simultaneous viewings.

Is there an issue with this I should be aware of?