1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 sec reply and 30 sec skip settings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by n3ntj, Feb 12, 2018.

1. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    A while back, my HRxx units had settings pertaining to 6 second (instant) reply and 30 sec. skip. I can't find them anymore in my HR44 (Genie) unit. In the past, when you'd hit the 6 sec. replay button on the remote, the video would rewind 6 secs and you could see the video rewinding to allow you to choose if you wanted more than 1 rewind.. (press it twice for 12 sec replay, etc.). On my HR44, when I press 6 sec. replay, the video freezes and then a few secs later, the video/audio replays 6 secs earlier. The video freezing is my issue as it takes more effort, especially, if I need to rewind 20 or 30 secs instead of just 6 secs. I have to wait for the video freeze to stop in order for the video to become live again to know if I went back to where I want to. Is this a bug? Are others seeing this issue?

Pertaining to the 30 sec. skip settings... in the past, it would allow you to choose b/w going directly 30 secs. ahead with a single button press versus having the video flow (at a slower rate) and stop 30 secs. ahead. My HR44 only appears to do the 30 secs. ahead video flow and no longer has the instant 30 sec. jump ahead. I can no longer find the setting for these 6 sec reply, rewind, 30 sec. skip, and fast forward under SETTINGS. Did D* remove these options?

Thanks.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've always gone the search route for the 30 skip. That's where you can change the 'Slip' to a 'Skip'. You go to Search and put '30skip' in and hit the red button and you're off Slip and on Skip. We've never been able to adjust the time of the Skips like we could on the TiVos. 30 seconds is the only setting. The HR24s and prior models all do about 6 seconds back, again, you can't adjust that. The Genies all do about 2 seconds back, not 6 seconds as the 24s do. I've never understood why.

Rich

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    How full is your hard drive?

Rich

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, you need to enter 30skip or 30slip to swap between the two. Only way those should be lost is if you did the search, reset the receiver to factory settings or got a new unit... did you do any of those lately?

As for replay, it’s a bit sticking these days on some machines, just hit it in rapid fire twice and it’s better. More if you want to go back more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

crodrules likes this.
  5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww. On a 24 if you want to go back 30 seconds it takes 5 clicks. On a Genie it takes at least 15 clicks to do the same thing. Yeah, that 'stinking' thing doesn't work nearly as well as it does on a 24. Hope that was what you meant.

Rich

6. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    For me it only takes 6. It’s just the first one that doesn’t always go back all the way, and if you just stack them the subsequent ones work as expected imho. I dont wait for it to go back to hit the button, I just hit the button several times in quick succession.

crodrules likes this.
  7. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    My drive is only about 10% used (about 90% free).

8. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Seems that a 2 second instant replay is almost useless. A 6 sec. instant replay (like on the HR2x units) just makes more sense as far as what the user would generally need/want. So, the Genie units (HR44) will only do 2 sec. replay per button press?

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, that's what I do. Fifteen clicks to go back 30 seconds. Or has something finally changed...let me try my 44...I just used a 2 minute time out on the last SB and it took 30 clicks to go back 2 minutes. 4 seconds a click. A 24 would do that in about 20 clicks. But it's better than I've ever seen it. I accept what you've said.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    No problem there.

Rich

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seems to have been stretched to 4 seconds a click. Still not as good as a 24, but better than it was.

Rich

12. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    It’s a bug imho. No way do they want it to be 2 seconds, and plus, it’s not on all units. Some do not have the issue, so I think that’s proof as well it’s a bug.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I don’t have that issue, as long as I stack only the first one is short, the others give me the six seconds. Another reason I think this is a bug, different people have different results on this issue it seems.