1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

61.5 alignment angles - most accurate resource?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by crackasmile, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crackasmile

crackasmile AllStar

Nov 14, 2004
    I am looking to install a 2nd Dish 500 with single DP LNB through DPP44 switch on my chimney to point at 61.5 for HD channels in near future. This is along with current Dish Pro 500 quad pointed at 119/110 that I currently use.

Where can I find the most accurate aiming info in doing this?? I live in Terre Haute, IN at zip code 47804.

I also read about "degrees True" and "magnetic variation" and know nothing about this and wanna do it right the 1st time. So could someone help me out?

Thanks

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If you are using the Y adapter on your D500 there isn't a precise aiming info. If you have a straight tube I adapter the aiming is identical to the D300 on the screens on your receiver.

Most people who have aimed a D500 with a Y do it "by guess and by gosh". Aim it at where the receiver tells you to aim it (the receiver gives magnetic north) then turn the dish to the east slowly until you get a signal. It will be about 4-5° less than the number your receiver gave.

As far as doing it right "the first time" count all your attempts in one session. You may have to adjust up or down or go a little more east or west while you are peaking the signal to the highest you can get. Nobody who just finds the signal and walks away without peaking is doing it right.

3. crackasmile

crackasmile AllStar

Nov 14, 2004
    It's been a long time since I've dealt with Dish's in general. Can't I just remove the Y adapter and attach the DP LNB directly on to the arm? If not, where can I get the proper adapter?

Thanks

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    IIRC - if you try to attach directly to the arm your LNB will not be at the focal point of the dish and your signal will never be as strong as it should be. You are better off connecting the LNB on one side of the Y (the 119° side to follow the instructions I gave above) than to connect directly to the arm.

I didn't have singles laying around - I had twins - so both of my D500's are using Y adaptors and the 119° half of a twin. (I have a D500 pointed at 61.5° and another pointed at 129°. A SuperDish handles 119° and 110° for me.)

Not sure where you could get an "I". I personally wouldn't bother (although having the offset LNB does look a little strange on a Y bracket). It doesn't make aiming any easier on a high powered DBS slot such as 61.5° as long as you don't mind hunting 4° off of the number given.

5. crackasmile

crackasmile AllStar

Nov 14, 2004
    Thanks for the advice. Would I gain any signal strength by getting the I Adapter or would it be about the same using the Y adapter for the 119 LNB to aim at 61.5?

Finally, could you help me with full setup by reading what I think I need to do and tell me if I am doing anything wrong?

Hook 2 of the outputs from my Dish Pro 500 Quad LNB into a DPP44 switch using a power inserter for the input 1 on DPP44. Input 1 w/ power inserter goes to Dish Pro receiver (or does this matter as I also have Legacy receivers). Hook the 61.5 feed from 2nd dish 500 into 3rd input on DPP44. Then I can hook up 4 receivers to the DPP44 and get 3 sat. locations and if I upgrade soon to a VIP211 or 622 and an HD package, I will get the HD channels from 61.5.

Is this all correct or is there anything I'm missing?

6. chainblu

chainblu Legend

May 14, 2006
    You may or may not gain a few extra signal points with the I adaptor over the Y adaptor, but I don't think it would be enough to be overly concerned about. If you happen to have an I adaptor laying around, use it. The I adaptor does give a Dish 500 a more 'finished' look, however. Just remember to set your skew at 90 degrees when using a Dish 500 for one sat.

Your setup plan sounds workable. I wouldn't put a legacy receiver on port 1. Until you get a DP receiver, I'd just leave port 1 unused (except for the power inserter) and run legacy off ports 2,3 and 4. Then when you do get a 211 or 622, run that from port 1. With a 622 you could have 5 TVs going at once in you house.

7. crackasmile

crackasmile AllStar

Nov 14, 2004
    Thanks for the info ChainBlu. I do have a DP 301 receiver that I believe I can put on port 1 along with my 3 legacy receivers. When I goto HD and get a VIP receiver, I will replace a legacy with it.

8. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.