1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

612 component output to SDTV

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by mcjunk, Dec 12, 2008.

1. mcjunk

mcjunk Cool Member

Oct 25, 2005
    I recently upgraded to a 612 DVR and connected it to my SDTV while waiting for delivery of my new HDTV. I used the component outputs on the receiver and couldn't get a signal (S-video and composite worked fine). I played around with the receiver output settings and the best I could do was come up with a wavy split screen picture (both sides were the same picture).

When I hooked up my HDTV to the component jacks, it worked great. I figured the component jacks must be only for use with HD. I moved the SDTV to the bedroom and hooked it up to the component jacks in the SD receiver there. Same problem as before. I ran the S-video output to a DVR recorder and ran from the recorder to the TV input using component and everything worked fine.

Will component outputs not work with 480P TV's, or am I missing something?

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I believe they would but you would need to set your output of your receiver to 480P. Did you do that?

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You must set the output to 480i to see the proper image on a component connection to an SDTV.

4. mcjunk

mcjunk Cool Member

Oct 25, 2005
    I did change the settings to 480(p). I don't think the receiver has a 480i option. I think it's just 480p, 720p, and 1080p. Anyway, that's when I got the split screen. I played around with all of the settings in that menu and that was the best I could get.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Component won't go lower than 480p; the vast majority of SD TVs only work at 480i. That sounds like the problem here, though given your TV does have component inputs, perhaps there is a menu setting in the TV that enables Progressive Scan.

6. slowmo

slowmo Legend

Sep 22, 2006
    I can't explain why but I believe the problem lies with your particular TV. More than likely, the component inputs only exist for a DVD player. I don't think your TV has the ability to process any signal received via component from a set-top box.

My 622 is connected via component to my 480p commercial plasma. That plasma will accept 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (it will even play the 1080p VOD from Dish).

However, we also have an older 13" Samsung LCD as well as a 26" Sharp tube TV. Both of these non-digital, non-HD sets have component inputs but they will only play DVD's. I've attempted to output the 622 (as well as on old HD OTA tuner) to these sets and cannot produce an image regardless of format settings (480i, 480p, etc.) on the Dish receiver.

I apologize for the lousy attempt to explain. Look in your manual for the display, you might find some language that notes a limitation when using the component connections.

7. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Some so-called component inputs on SD TV's arent truly component but colorstream and will only work with colorstream DVD players, etc.

Your TV wouldn't happen to be a Toshiba, would it?

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Component will indeed do 480i.