1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 and OTA locals

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Kazy, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazy

Kazy Mentor

Mar 4, 2004
    Hooked up my new 622 today and all seems well. I scanned for my local HD channels, picked up seven. However, when I go to the guide they are not there.
    What am I doing wrong?

Kazy

2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    You need to subscribe to your locals (via satellite) in order to see your digital locals in your EPG.

3. Kazy

Kazy Mentor

Mar 4, 2004
    So......there is no way to watch my OTA locals unless I subscribe to satellite locals?
    Please tell me I misunderstood you.

Kazy

4. lujan

lujan Hall Of Fame

Feb 10, 2004
    No, you can still watch your OTA locals, you just won't get the guide information unless you subscribe to the satellite locals.

5. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    Kazy,

To tune to your digital locals you will need to key in all five digits of the channel number. For example, if you have an OTA digital local channel 12 you would key in 01201 to tune to your local 12-01 channel.

6. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    So, if you don't sub to locals they don't show up in the guide at all? Even as "no information"?

7. wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    What I had to do to get them to show up was after scanning them I had to put a check mark next to each one that I wanted to show up in the guide. Then I believe I just had to push done. I'm going from memory and I don't think there was a save button on the screen. If there is press that first otherwise just press the done button. If you don't subscribe to locals you won't get the programming info and you won't be able to use a lot of the great features on the 622 like name based recording, but you will get the station in the guide just not what is playing on the station.

8. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    Wow! I didn't realize this. I'm currently using a Tivo for my recording off of an 811 and I get my locals information from Tivo so I've never had the need to subscribe to the locals package. That really sucks that I'm gonig to lose that unless I pay an extra $4.99 a month. I mean what the heck am I paying the monthly recording fee for if not to get a complete guide?

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And for that privilege, you were paying $12.95 a month (or had earlier lightened your wallet by almost $300).
    It hardly seems fair to pay $7.96/month less. :eek:
    To help subsidize a piece of equipment that would have otherwise cost you $800

10. wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    You can still set manual timers to record the programs that you want. I prefer to pay the $5 a month to be able to do the name based recording. If you live in an area that gets or is going to get your HD locals by satellite you will get those for the same $5 a month that the SD locals cost you.

11. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    If I buy the 622 outright I don't get the locals either unless I pay extra, so I'm not sure I understand your argument.

And I did pay the one time fee to Tivo. I hate monthly payments on principle and it really annoys me that Echostar doesn't offer a one time payment option.

The problem is that the $4.99 (or whatever the cost is for the locals package) is for receiving the locals, not just the guide information. I have no desire to have my locals through Dish network, I just want the guide information, which I actually get on my 811 through the guide (not always accurate since it seems to be reading the information from the channel).

Why can't the 622 guide do just what the 811 does and display the OTA channel information (if it already does this then that information is good enough for me. I don't know if it does or not since I don't get my 622 until May 13th) as it comes from the channel provider?

When you add in the cost to lease the receiver, the extra cost for a HD receiver lease, the cost for enabling the PVR (recording fee, or whatever it's called) and the locals cost it seems to me that it is significantly more than other options (Tivo, etc).

12. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    But why would I want compressed OTA digital channels when I can get uncompressed OTA digital channels for free?

If Dish wants to charge me a little extra for the local guide information, fine, but make it something like $1 extra to the PVR fee, don't make me subscribe to locals (and pay the full locals price) I don't want. That's all I'm saying.

13. Gramps

Gramps Cool Member

Apr 27, 2006
    I think you all just answered my question. I had a JVC HM-DSR100 for a number of years and several months ago replaced it with a 942 after purchasing an HDTV. I was less than pleased to discover that I could no longer automatically record OTA programs as the local program guide doesn't work on the 942; the only option was to set manual timers. I didn't mind paying extra for the HD receiver and the HD programming, I just felt I came up short on the OTA program listings that were available on that old receiver. I've called DISH to inquire about the 940 to 622 upgrade and the person I talked with implied that the OTA program listing was available, but I could not pin her down on it. I got the bit about having to $ubscribe to the satellite locals to get the listing, BUT my OTA locals are HD. Does that mean I can see what's on Channel 6 tonight, but if I want to record it on HD 6-1 I still need to set a manual timer?

14. DP1

DP1 Godfather

Sep 15, 2002
    If you subscribe to Locals it will fill in the guide data for your OTA channel listings too. So you dont have to mess with manual timers that way. You'd just record them the same way you would any other channel on the system.

If you dont sub to Locals than the OTA channels will just say "Digital channel" or something like that on all of them and you would have to do manual timers.

15. Gramps

Gramps Cool Member

Apr 27, 2006
    I understand that subscribing to local channels through DISH will fill in the schedule, but will it fill in the schedule for the OTA HD channels also? DISH doesn't yet offer local HD in this market, may be several years in coming.

16. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    Since the 622 can not receive analog OTA I would assume that it would fill in the digital, but I can not confirm until I get my 622.

17. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Yes. You get EPG data for sat local SD and OTA HD channels when you sub to local channels. That is true even if Dish does not yet provide sat HD locals in your area.

18. Gramps

Gramps Cool Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for. I stopped by a couple of local DISH dealers this afternoon and neither had an HD receiver hooked up, so they couldn't show me and neither knew for sure if HD guide was included with the local channel subscription.

19. wingnut1

wingnut1 Legend

Nov 10, 2005
    Personally I would like to get my HD locals through sat elite. Then I could record an HD show OTA and two through the satellite. Right now if I want to record more than one show at the same time on my locals only one can be in HD.

20. kbdrand

kbdrand AllStar

Apr 16, 2006
    That is a good point, it let's you record more than one local at a time. I just don't like the idea of paying $5.99 a month (looked up the actual locals cost) just to be able to record OTA locals and use named based recording.

That being said I will have to pay for the locals since there's no way that I'm going to give up named based recording. There's too many shifts in programming schedules to try and keep up the timed based recording.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.