622 and PIP?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Don M, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    I have a 622 set up in single mode. It is connected to the dish via two coax cables. It is also connected to an ota antenna. If I have timers set to record on all three tuners, can I still use PIP? I ask because the other night I tried to pip the picture to see how much overrun Obama's press conference had. When I hit the pip button on the remote, the pip was black. When I tried to switch back the screen was locked. I tried to switch several times, but the screen stayed locked and a message popped up that said I had lost the satellite signal and that the receiver was reaquiring the signal. It was locked on step 0, however. I had to do a soft reset with the powerer button on the receiver. That worked, but I lost the first 30 minutes of my timers. Any ideas as to what might have been wrong? Thanks for any info.

2. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    PIP works with 2 independent sources (such as your satellite on one side & your OTA on the other side), not by outputing your satellite signal from 2 different channels on both sides of the screen.

3. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    You can use PIP to watch 2 satellite channels or 1 satellite channel and 1 OTA channel. I have also had DVR recording 1 satellite channel and 1 OTA channel and still watch a different live satellite channel. All this, of course, is in single mode.

Your PIP channel (the one on the right side when you bring up PIP) will be one of the channels you are recording. You can use SWAP and select either of the two channels that are recording. If one of the channels being recorded looses signal (either the OTA or DISH channel) it usually locks the receiver and a soft reboot is needed to clear it. I have seen this happen several times, especially with momentary loss of the OTA signal.

4. RickDee

RickDee Legend

May 23, 2006
    You have 2 independent satellite sources with a ViP receiver. If you look at the back of the receiver There are 2 satellite inputs; Satellite 1 & Satellite 2. That's also why Dish provides a separator with the receiver, because the ViP receivers have 2 satellite tuners.

5. Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    Yep - pepster has this wrong.

To the OP, your PIP should work with no problem, even when recording 3 things. Will obviously be PIP-ing between 2 of those 3 sources - you won't be able to watch anything else live.

6. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
  7. Pepster

Pepster Legend

Oct 29, 2008
    Pepster stands corrected. I have a DirecTV receiver (HR20-700) which is a dual tuner receiver, but I can't do PIP between tuner 1 and tuner 2.

8. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    And yet you felt the need to offer advice on a Dish receiver. :rolleyes:

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Don,

There shouldn't be any problem doing what you were trying to do. Any combination of the 2 SAT and 1 OTA tuner should be available in PiP with Single mode. I do it all the time.

I have had, however, instances where my receiver did just as you describe... Black screen, no ability to disable PiP, then lockup so that I have to reset the receiver.

I've never been sure exactly what set of circumstances causes this... but it is a receiver glitch that I've seen a few times a year.

10. Don M

Don M Legend

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Hopefully this was a one-time glitch and it won't happen again.