1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

622 crashing/rebooting

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by RobG, Apr 14, 2008.

1. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I got a new "refurb" 622 yesterday that I purchased on eBay. Everything was sealed, it was in a sealed bag, etc, etc so I know it wasn't a used unit.

Anyway... got it setup, it did the initial download, and I called up Dish and activated it.

Since then, it will sporatically reboot for no reason... OR, it will crash in one of several ways. Either the screen will simply go black and nothing responds, the screen will go black and you can still hear your show, but the remote does nothing, or the display will go all haywire, and the sound is horrible... screechy, etc.

It has L449 in it. The unit has been out in the open so it has plenty of airflow, and the case is only barely warm.

I just put it on a good quality ups (550VA) as was suggested in some of the other 622 problem threads. It came back up, and about 60 seconds later, the sound went all screechy again, the picture went black (this time I could still hear my show). I had to hold down the power button to force another reboot.

I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. I guess I need to call up Dish now and see if they'll send me a new one, huh?

Rob

2. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    BTW, this last crash... I had just setup a timer to record, and it crashed right as it started to record. Now that it's back up, it lost the timer that I had set.

Rob

3. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    "Black Screen of Death" is a problem that has plagued the 622 since introduction. E* has tried a lot of software fixes but I'm not sure they even know the cause. There were reports that some early units rebooted several times a day. I had one that rebooted about every other day. E* replaced it. The replacement, which I've had for a couple years, I think, reboots every 10 to 14 weeks (I keep a log). E* has offered to replace it but then I would lose all my recorded content. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll live with it. I have a second 622 and it has never rebooted that I know of, but it's in the bedroom and could be rebooting when no one is watching.

Sounds like your "refurb" might be one of those early units. Since you didn't get it from E*, I don't think you have many options.

4. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Anybody have a serial number list or anything so I can tell if this is an early unit or not?

I have the equipment insurance; I'm hopeful that will work towards getting it replaced.

Rob

5. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Welcome to DBSTalk, and nice name ;). Anyways, I would suggest contacting Dish Network to see if there is anything they can do for you. Definitely sounds like either a problem with the 622 or maybe a problem with cabling, switch, or LNB causing the problem on your 622.

6. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Okay good news... just got off the phone with E* and they're sending me out a new unit, should be here before end of the week. Yay!

Rob

7. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    That's great. Thanks for the update. Please let us know how it turns out.

8. dbrakob

dbrakob Godfather

Apr 25, 2006
    Just curious how you got E* to send you a new unit when the one you have is not from them but Ebay. Seems like they would not go for that. You must be a smooth talker.

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    He had the DHPP and it is Dish equipment. If Dish discovers that it's been modified in any way, that may be a problem down the road; not saying that it is. But, I know some equipment offered on eBay has been hacked. I think Dish handled this in the proper way.

10. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    As long as nothing has been done to void the warranty, once a receiver is on an account, it is covered just as if you had bough the receiver direct.

11. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    The unit I got is a marked a refurb, but doens't have a mark on it. It was in an original box, in all the original wrapping, and the receiver itself was in a sealed plastic bag too. I believe it was a genuine unmodified/untampered-with unit.

I've learned over the years that it's good to pay a little extra for equipment insurance... like for Dish, on my cellphone plan, even that "wiring insurance" the phone company offers. It's all well worth it in the long run. :)

The girl I spoke to in their tech support was very friendly and helpful. I gave her a detailed explanation of what was wrong, and she typed it all in. When she concluded it probably needed to be replaced, she put me on hold and spoke with her supervisor, who okayed it right away.

So far, I'm impressed. :)

Rob

12. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Some may recall my post back on 4/16 about the 622 I just got being bad... crashing and rebooting every few minutes.

Well, E* sent me a new one and it was working great. In fact, it went two weeks without a single reboot. But then two days ago, it went kaput. It has slowly progressed from reboots to full-on crashes requiring several minutes of being unplugged for it to come back at all, to now it's totally dead. It just sits there with the fan running on full, the single green TV1 light on, and nothing more. No picture, nothing.

So once again, E* is sending out another unit...

Tell me... is the 722 anymore reliable? They said I can upgrade to it for $150... might be worth it after the next 622 bites it.

Rob

13. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat AllStar

May 16, 2006
    rob
    i got a new 622 from dish last year in march. the receiver worked flawlessly for about 6 mos. and then it began constantly rebooting. i was still under warranty.. so i was sent another one (refurb). .. again the same thing happened.....i was sent 3 refurbs that were pretty much no good... meanwhile, i had to pay for the shippiing of all the returns.
    i complained...becuz i had a "new" receiver and they were sending me back junk. i said i was NOT going 2 continually pay for the shippings... e* finally sent me another receiver (4th) which i still have....and i was not billed for the shipping... i think the rebooting is an issue that they are aware of ....i just dont know why they keep sending those units out to others....???

14. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Welcome to the crowd. A lot of us have had the same bum 622s, we should start marking them and then tracking where they show up.

15. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Nope, demand an upgrade and keep talking to people until they give you one.

16. RobG

RobG Cool Member

Apr 14, 2008
    FWIW, I've never had to pay return shipping on any receivers; they always include a UPS label, so I stick it on the box and drop it off at a UPS Store or somewhere.

Good idea on marking the 622s. That'd be funny. Maybe the best way is to just start writing down the serial numbers and post a list of them somewhere. Wish I'd done that with the old one; but I'll do it to my current one.

Rob