622 Install today

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by zer0cool, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zer0cool

zer0cool Godfather

Nov 23, 2004
    So, my install was scheduled for today between 12-5 PM.
    Around noon, I called SBC and asked them to kindly cancel my SBC/Dish account. Five minutes later, I got the "Unsubscribed channel" popup. I went through the process of disconnecting my 921, dusting the area out and popping the 622 into it's place. In the process, I replaced my HDMI to DVI cable with straight HDMI, and moved the DVD recorder out of the spare bedroom into the main room to connect to the 622. Once everything was hooked up, I ran the checkswitch and found that everything was in good working order.
    I then moved into the master bedroom to verify everything was working correctly in there. Tuned the Tv to channel 60, and found NO Picture. Thought about it for a second, and realized I needed to change the input setting from cable to air. Viola, now I've got good old channel 101 going on both sets.
    I then moved into the spare bedroom and disconnected the 311 to send back to SBC (and be replaced by an identical 311). I killed a little time, and around 2:30 called to see if Dish would activate my receiver. I explained the situation to the CSR, who said he'd have to transfer me to Tech Support. A few minutes later I got some automated help system that I couldn't get out of. Called back and got another CSr who took all the receiver info, only to tell me she couldn't activate the receiver until the installer got here with the 311.
    Finally, about 3:30 the installer got here. I welcomed him to "the easiest install you'll do today". He looked at the connections I'd made on the 622, double-checked the equipment outside to make sure everything was the newest model available, and hooked up the new 311. I told him about trying to activate the receiver, but being denied. He said "If you had the number I have, you probably could have gotten it done". Seems they call an automated activation hotline and never have to speak to a live person. a few minutes later all my HDPlatinum programming showed up.
    The installer was completely giddy about how little he actually had to do. Said I was his last scheduled install, but he'd pick up an extra one since this one was basically done when he got here.

My Harmony Remote operates the 622 perfectly with the 921 profile I had set up for it. So far the 622 seems butter smooth in operation. My only minor gripe is the lack of a remote function to switch mode. Not a major issue at all though.

2. zer0cool

zer0cool Godfather

Nov 23, 2004
    Ok, this is probably a result of my own stupidity (and being used to my 921), but it seems a little odd to me. I set a timer to record Boston Legal last night at 9 PM, I also set an auto-tune for the Shield at the same time. so the recorder started, and then promptly switched to FX, recording The Shield instead of Boston Legal, even though the recording was labeled Boston Legal.

3. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    That's not a good thing. Were both timers set for the same tuner? Obviously you can't do that with the same tuner, but it should have given you a conflict screen or something. Recording one show under the title of another should not happen.

4. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Got my 622 installed yesterday too so I was playing around to get familiar with recording. My 622 is in single mode, shared view. I have only satellite, no OTA.

I set a timer to record a program I always watch and it showed with tuner 2 on the schedule. Later I set another timer to record from a different channel at the same time. It showed tuner 1 in the schedule. I suspected if I tried to watch the first program on TV1 at the same time something else was scheduled to record from tuner 1 I might have a probem. Decided to just let it go and see what would happen.

I tuned to the channel for the first program on TV1. At the start time the channel changed to the channel scheduled to be recorded on tuner 1. I switched the channel back to the one I wanted to watch, figuring I'd screwed up at least one of the recordings. After a few minutes I checked DVR schedule. It showed both programs recording with a tuner 1 indication by both. At least I think that's what that 1 means. Anyway, later I checked and I had both programs recorded. Good to know that will work.

5. zer0cool

zer0cool Godfather

Nov 23, 2004
    Yeah, I was expecting a conflict screen if there was any issue. That's why I was kind of bothered by not getting Boston Legal recorded. BTW, Boston Legal was being recorded via OTA, so there shouldn't have been any issue with no tuner being available. Think I'll start a new topic for this issue so more eyes will be on it.

6. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame

Feb 22, 2005
    So if if I've got this straight, you had a recording scheduled to use tuner 2, another scheduled for tuner 1, but then watched a 3rd program live. If I have that right, then I'm guessing that either the show being recorded on tuner 1 or the show you were watching live was OTA. I say that because the 622 has 3 tuners. 1 OTA and 2 Satellite. Both the OTA and one of the satellite tuners show up as Tuner 1. In fact if you record an OTA and a couple of Satellite channels at the same time you'll see 2 tuner 1 recordings set for the same time. It would be nice if they named the OTA one something different so it didn't look so confusing.

7. zer0cool

zer0cool Godfather

Nov 23, 2004
    Actually, no. I had a recording set for OTA at 9 PM (Boston Legal 008-01).
    I had an auto-tune timer set to change the satellite tuner 1 from the channel I was watching (I think it was Starz) to channel 137 (FX). I watched The Shield on TV1, and assumed Boston Legal was recording via the OTA tuner. When I went into My REcordings" to play back Boston Legal, it turned out to be The Shield.

8. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I don't have a 622, but on my 942 there were several issues where you could cause it to screw up. They had more to do with the OTA and Sat tuners both being called TV1, not that there wasn't a tuner available. When "both TV1's" did something in an overlap time range (like your record one and autotune the other), you'd end up with missed recordings, recordings that didn't match the TV1 they came from, ... You could force it to occur by setting up a recording to TV2 to keep it occupied, then create two more overlapping events for the two TV1s. What you did should be repeatable - not that you'd want it to be.:)

9. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005

No, I was watching the same program scheduled for Tuner 2 recording live on tuner 1 or at least TV1. I don't have OTA. Not sure what kind of internal switching may have taken place but both programs recorded and both had 1's by them in the schedule while they were recording.

Possible that when I switched TV1 back to the program which had been scheduled for tuner 2 the 622 internally switched recording tuners. I thought it odd that they would both show as tuner 1 during recording. I know the channel I was watching had shown tuner 2 before the program began. Whatever it was, I'm glad it worked okay.

I do wish there were a way to record 2 programs and watch a 3rd live without OTA. For me that OTA tuner just goes to waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.