622 TV2 output change?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by PhantomOG, Jun 26, 2009.

1. PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    Did anyone else's 622 TV2 output change formats recently?

I have an HD 16:9 tv on TV1. So, if available, on that TV I typically watch the HD channel in "Normal" format. If no HD version of a channel is available, I would watch the SD channel in "Normal" format (I can't stand stretch-o-vision).

On TV2, I have an old SD 4:3 TV. So, previously, on that TV I would always watch the SD channels. However, before I always had to watch the SD channels in "Stretch" mode, otherwise the screen would be compressed and I would get black bars on the side with a *skinny* picture in the middle. Switching to "Stretch" mode, pushed out the bars and made the picture in the middle the correct aspect and fill the screen.

Obviously, this meant I was always swapping format modes back and forth on the SD channels depending on which TV I was watching.

Now, the TV2 output is correct on SD channels in "Normal" mode. So I no longer have to switch to "Stretch". Overall, it makes me happy, one less button to press. However, I noticed on the local broadcast channel SD feed, I couldn't get the whole picture on TV2. Parts of the image on boths sides were clipped. However, watching the HD channel correctly letterboxes the image, I think.

Anywhoo... just wondering if anyone else was seeing this change, or am I just crazy? :eek2:

2. PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    Oh, and I have my 622 set to single mode.

3. PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    just confirmed now too, on TV2, HD channels in normal mode are letterboxed (black bars at the top and bottom). This was never the case before. Previously, my 4:3 TV2 would fill its entire screen, causing a distorted image. Setting it to stretch would correct that aspect ratio, but obviously cut off the sides of the image.

I'm very happy this change was made. Before, I never really bothered watching HD-only channels on my TV2. Now, its definitely an option since I can get the entire 16x9 image on my 4x3 tv displayed correctly with black bars at the top and bottom.

Thank you DISH!

4. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Check out the "L6.21 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion" - this change is making some people happy and some people unhappy depending on the tv to which their tv2 outputs.

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002