1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

721 guide problems ... check yours and post

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by SteveS, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveS

SteveS Guest

All of a sudden today around 2pm MDT the guide on my 721 refuses to come up. Push the "guide" button and it just stays on the channel you're watching. Push "menu" and then "guide" buttons same thing, just stays on what you're watching.

Did the "power button reset" and then the "smart card reset" but no guide. Finally, pulled the AC plug, let it sit for about 15 minutes and then plugged it in. Rebooted and stil no guide.

Called Dish and, of course it's news to them ... never seen that!

Do me a favor and check the guide on your 721 and post results so I know if it's my box or Dish.

Thanks all.

2. ERSanders

ERSanders Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I tied it on both of mine...no hay problemas! :jumpingja

3. Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    used mine a few hours ago. all was fine

4. kzosat

kzosat Legend

Aug 22, 2004
    mine works fine

5. SteveS

SteveS Guest

Went to dinner and turned off the 721 (as usual when we're not watching TV). We were gone about 2 hours and when we returned the 721 was functioning perfectly.

Either a coincidence OR Charlie sent a spike down the sat to my 721 for starting the "opinions on Dish warranty thread" http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=31779

I'll never post again ... Honest Charlie, I'll be good! Can I polish up those J.D. Power awards for ya?

6. kzosat

kzosat Legend

Aug 22, 2004
    Ya know, I re read your post and I had something similar happen (my guide would ONLY comue up if took out the video inlay) Ended up for me anyways that my 721 was FREAKING HOT when I touched it. Did realize my wife had put a stuffed animal behind it to hide it from the baby. I turned it off for a bit and let it cool off then everything worked fine.

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Wife+technology=disaster, eh? :D

8. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Goldang wimmins. Never shouldn't oughta have given 'em the vote. Then, they up and got them there jobs. Ruined the sanctimony of the institute of marriage it did. Next thing ya know, them thar homersensuals'll be hitchin' up.

9. kzosat

kzosat Legend

Aug 22, 2004
    Yeah, my wife loves the DVR, but when I told her she was like "how can it overheat? Oh it has a hard drive? Will it crash?" and a bunch of other questions. But the good thing is she likes technology so that lets me buy stuff!

10. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    :( Mine did that exact same thing, then appeared ok for about a week before the dreaded hard drive failure message appeared.

I suggest you archive anything of interest just in case:(

11. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    I had a problem with the guide at 1 point since the L172, but a power off reset took care of it.

12. Big Bob

Big Bob Godfather

May 13, 2002
    But can't you say that about most any event?

"The sun came up. Everything appeared ok for about a week before the dreaded hard drive failure message appeared."

(just a bit of kiddin Bob :))

13. SteveS

SteveS Guest

Damn, the "Haller" curse ... now I'm screwed

(Sorry Bob, couldn't resist)

14. SteveS

SteveS Guest

In my case not a heat problem. From the first day my first 721 arrived I monitored the chassis temp and was concerned. Of particular interest to me were the ultra low profile bottom feet of the 721. Since heat rises, so little room under the box made for BAD ventilation.

I placed the 721 on it's own shelf with mucho roomo on the sides and top and inserted 2" spacers under the bottom feet. Monitoring the chassis temp my 721 is always only slightly warm to the touch even when it's been on for a long time. Now, that doesn't mean that the internals are running cool.

I strongly recommend that every 721 be spaced up to increase free air room under the box and it needs adequate room on top also. The 721 is NOT a "stackable" unit if you want it to last.

15. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I think that is a good idea with all DVRs. I noticed that my DirecTV is built the same way (low profile bottom feet). On both my 721 and my DirecTV TiVo I put half inch spacers under the feet and it does provide for better air flow (and there is nothing below them that produces heat and nothing is stacked on top of them).

I wonder how many problems are caused by overheated receivers? I have seen some that are in enclosed cabinets (those glass fronted ones) and when you open the unit you can feel the heat. That can't be good for ANY of the equipment stored in them.

16. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    I, too, was shocked at how hot my 721 got. So, I removed the cover. That certainly improved ventilation. The groovy part is that it's not noticable, the way it sits in the cabinet. It looks like stock from the front.

17. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Only trying to prevent my 721 lost the recordings including the one in a lifetime show my wife had stored there.

hope I havent cursed anyones box...

18. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    My 721 has also would only do certain functionality like go to guide or press info or something like what some of the others described but it wouldnt let me do anything else. Had to reboot the receiver everytime it happened and eventually it quit doing it.

19. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    I actually have a dual sensor thermoeter from RadioShack located in my Cabinet. One sensor is located at the top of the cabinet and another one is right next to the receiver (Biggest heat source). I have an enclosed cabinet with two fans on the top pulling air out, one pushing air into the receiver, and one on the bottom air in. I have always be concerned, due to the A/V receiver, that it would get too hot in the cabinet. The highest I have seen has been 95 degrees F. I am sure that there are people that don't release the heat situation and as a result bake a few components.

20. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    WJD: 95 sounds pretty hot to me - you might want to work on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.