1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722 or 722K??

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Al_Chicago_DN, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Al_Chicago_DN

Al_Chicago_DN Cool Member

Aug 17, 2004
    I will be adding HD channels tomorrow, and I'm getting a Dish Vip722. I was just looking online on Dishnetwrok.com and saw that they have 722 and a 722K. I searched many threads reading about the 722s only to get confused. On Dish Network online brochures it shows the 722 with the OTA tuner card, but in the forums it shows the opposite?!!

I have the following questions:

1. Which 722 has the OTA tuner?

2. Is the OTA the only difference between the 722s? The online brochure shows different remotes (learning? remotes) on the 722k. Any one has experience with these remotes?

I hope the Dish Installer has both on the truck. I may need to call right away and ask them to bring the 722 I want.

Thanks...

Al

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    The 722 has one built in OTA tuner. The new 722k does not have a built in OTA tuner, but there is an add on card that has two OTA tuners. So, the 722k with the tuner card gives you an additional OTA tuner. I'm not sure if the 722k is shipping yet. It was to be out SOON for a while now. I have not heard it is available but maybe I have not looked in all the right places yet.

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    - 722 has a OTA tuner built in and can record 3 HD/SD Streams (2 Sat/1 OTA) at once
    - 722K has an optional OTA module (2 HD/SD Tuners) and two Sat Tuners. I believe it can record all four at once. the cost of the module I think is under 50 bucks.

2. 722K has a learning remote as you indicated. Allows one to save their receiver settings I believe.

3. 722K has just been released if I read the posts right. This means that stability wise the 722 most likely will be more stable but over time the 722K should stabilize if history is any indication.

If you are going OTA... The 722K does provide that extra option but with the risk of possible less stability. It was reported that the 722K software does include the customizable groups.

My recommendation.. Comes down to how flexible you are and your needs. If the slightest glitch causes you to Scream for hours, go with the 722 as it has had time to stabilize. If you are more open to bleading edge and want the extra OTA tuner.. 722K is the way to go.

4. Al_Chicago_DN

Aug 17, 2004
    It looks like the 722K has an "Optional" OTA card as you stated. I will take a chance on the 722K since it is the latest offering by Dish. If the installer has the OTA module, I will have him install it as well even if costs few extra bucks.

5. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Usually these guys don't carry a sample of the receivers that they will need with them. I would contact Dish and see if you can arrange what you want.

6. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    The 722k also allows you to watch OTA on TV2.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Chances are very strong that the installer will NOT have an OTA module unless there is one listed on the work order. In other words, you'd need to order the OTA module when you order your 722k if you want the installer to bring it.

8. Al_Chicago_DN

Aug 17, 2004
    I called Dish and asked for the 722K, but I didn't ask them to add the OTA module to the order. I can always install it myself later.

9. Chevy1965

Chevy1965 Cool Member

Apr 25, 2008
    The other difference is that the 722k does not have an S-Video out

10. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    There are a bunch of other differences, such as using newer chipsets.

11. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Some of the differences for the end user can be discerned from the information accessible through the Dish Network Tech Portal Reciever page such as the additional coax out for OTA channels, though it raises more questions then it answers. More answers can be found at the Echostar Knowledge Base page.

If I could get OTA, there is no doubt in my mind that a 722k would be my choice in about September after the initial bugs are resolved and its at the Beta Tester level. In the long run, it might be my choice anyway. But not yet as I'm too old to be an Alpha Tester.:rolleyes:

12. Papa Midnight

Papa Midnight Cool Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Actually, the 722 also allows you to use the "Learning Remotes" feature. I've stumbled upon it (accidentally) on a number of occasion.

13. gears4brains

gears4brains New Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I am on my second 722k, and I have had two different OTA modules for the 722k. I had two different 722 (not k) models since November of 2007 prior to making the mistake of upgrading (downgrading actually) to a 722k. I was able to get all of the local (Austin, TX) HD locally broadcast channels on either of the 722(not k) models very reliably and with minimal video/audio drop-out.

I cannot get an acceptable viewing experience on local channel 036-01 (NBC-HD) even though the signal strength is reported to be 85-90 by the 722k, and every other ATSC tuner TV in the house displays this same antenna feed in all of its HD glory. The 722k will show the Error-739 box about every 30 seconds while trying to display this channel, and the video and audio are continuously disrupted.

Local channel 007-01 (Fox-HD) and 018-01 (PBS-HD) are better but the recordings from these channels are unreliable. We are often only able to view a small portion of the recorded program - even though the recording list shows that the recording spans the full duration of the program.

I have fed the 722k the antenna signal with a direct connection to the antenna in my attic without any improvement. I can connect this antenna feed to either one of the two ATSC tuner HD TVs in the house with and without a coax splitter and the HD signal is beautiful.

The new 20.0 and 21.0 remotes for the 722k are cool and they work very well. I was able to make good use of the teach mode of the remote. It is neat how the settings for the remote are stored in the receiver as well as the remote. But due to the lack of s-video and unusable OTA performance; I do not want a 722k!

Last night, Dishnetwork finally agreed to send me a replacement 722 (not k).

14. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Well that is disappointing - the bad report on the 722K. I'm a long time DirectTV subscriber but was tempted to try out Dish since I'm moving, hopefully this summer. But it appears I'll have to rely on OTA for my networks where I'll be moving, and if I can't record two network shows at once, well, that's pretty dysfunctional. When I read the 722 only had one OTA tuner, I decided that I'd have to stick with DirectTV and the HR-20 I've got. Then I got excited when I saw the 722K and the option for 2 OTA tuners (in addition to two sat tuners!) But if reception is poor, it's a no-go (I'll be living about 50 miles away from the stations.)

15. Geek4rent

Geek4rent New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Gears,
    this is quite interesting I am having the same problem with my local HD's they have replaced 2 of the 722 and last week installed a 722K......I still get the errors and drop out, I can hook direct to my 42" olevia and watch all day and night and no drop outs.

tonight it was dropping again so I went to the local channels area and looked at the signal strength it was right at 88% would drop up and down to 77%...then suddenly drop to zero not locked then right back to 88% or so. When it drops I get the 739 error.

Also it will do the same thing on HD sat channels, it will say lost signal, but the catch is all you have to do is hit the guide button, the guide will come up and right back to the channel you were on.

normally as you know when you lose signal it goes through the steps, but not with this issue,

so the same issue with a total of 4 722's
    1. the one I had
    2. a replacement 722
    3. another replacement 722
    4 a 722k

sure makes ya wonder

16. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    It appears theat the internal split of the OTA signal on the 722K OTA module has considerable loss.

Do you have a Winegard HDP-269 available to boost the signal into the 722K, maybe that will help with the drop outs.

17. Geek4rent

Geek4rent New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    no I have not tried an AMP, but that still does not explain the drop outs of the HD sat channels, and when they do drop out simply pushing the guide button brigs them back.

if you ask me dish has a hardware or software issue

18. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    One think to keep in mind.. Dish DVRs tend to be a bit more multi-path sensitive than other OTA receivers. Given that you are seeing this both on the 722 and 722K, I would suspect that you might have a multi-path issue with the Dish DVRs. Not all OTA are created equal and some are more pron to mulipath issues. Dish ones in the past have been.

I definitely try and external tweaking to see if you can get around this. Is your antenna a directional antenna? I am by no means an OTA expert. Lot of people here not 100 times more than I do, however in the past when people have described what you are describing it usually turns out to be multipathing.

One thing I always say and believe. OTA is an art and what may work in some conditions won't work in others.

19. Geek4rent

Geek4rent New Member

Apr 5, 2009

that is possible but no one still has an answer for the drop out issue on regular HD sat channels

20. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well I have seen where OTA drop out has an effect on Dish Sats, but I can say this is the case. One way to verify is to remove your OTA, delete your OTA channels, and see if the problem disappears.

Ofcourse we could be talking about two totally unrelated issues, but I would try to solve one and possible get lucky and the other one goes away.