722 Programing problem

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by inazsully, Nov 6, 2010.

1. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I've had my 722 for over 2 years and about 2 weeks ago, while scrolling out in the program menu the screen halts and I get a message saying " Program information on hard drive is outdated". I The next sentence says "Restore program information from sat. now, Yes-Cancel. When I select YES I am told the process will take up to 5 minutes. Why, after all this time, is this happening? It's very inconvienient. It happens every couple of days.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The first question is does the box update every night? Menu, 8, 4 to see when it's supposed to update. If you have anything interfering with that, you'll need to reset the update time.

If that doesn't work try a hard reboot (unplug from power, wait 20 seconds, plug it back in and let it do its thing which can take about ten minutes).

3. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks, I'll try the reboot.

4. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Yes it updates at 3am every morning. I've tried a hard boot several times. The system info page shows that the guide is set for 3 hours but I see no way to change that nor have I ever changed it. In another forum I was asked to check the values of 0 and 1 in the system info section. These values are both 0. The question leads me to think that these values indicate that the 722 is kaput.

5. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    This will be pure speculation on my part, but might provide a clue. DISH sends EPG info for Current and Next program on all transponders. It also sends a 44 hour Guide on a "home transponder" of each Sat and a 9 day EPG on one specific transponder of 119 (dunno what EA version is).

After each daily update, an attempt will be made to fetch the 9 day from 119º. Lots of things MIGHT be preventing the 9 day from completing and leave you with a) screen showing an error code/message if you turn on the TV w/o hitting receiver buttons on the remote, b) a partial guide download that eventually times out after getting "a little bit", c) NO EPG at all from the 9 day location and it uses the 44 hour EPG (not too likely IIRC), or d) things I can't even dream up.

I might try changing the daily update to some time in the morning that won't disrupt a recording, but you'd be there to watch for a few day. It might be that you only have trouble with the 9 day guide at 3:10AM (whenever it happens) and you won't see the issue with a 7AM update at all. For a few days, first thing to do is turn on the TV w/o any "receiver button" on the remote to check for a dialog. If none, call up the guide and enter 99 > right three times to ensure you touch the end of the 9 day. If it is there in the morning, it should remain for the rest of the day. If it isn't there in the morning, doing the 99 thing would give you the Download option and then you should be good for the day.

6. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks for the input. I just tried changing the update time for 60 minutes ago (I turned off everything ahead of time). Nothing happened, nothing turned on. I just now turned on the 722 and brought up the guide. It goes out 2 hours and says "no info available". I then get the 318 error message saying 'Information on hard drive is outdated".

7. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    I just did the 999 thing and got a message saying "congrats you are pointed at 129". Still no guide info though.

8. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    That is too many 9s. You can only go forward or backward in the guide by one/two digits of hours. As soon as you enter a 3rd digit, you aren't given any time to hit cursor right - it is stuck in "channel number entered" mode. You'd get to the Download more Guide by the skip fwd 30 seconds button and hit it 9 times if necessary. 99> is max number of hours you can skip in the guide - and not that much more than the 72 hours you get from 3 "skip a day" buttons.

When you aren't going to record or watch something, do the Update again with the TV on. You won't see much, except while the receiver restarts, you won't have the screen saver tips (maybe TV will say no signal). Check if channels really go out two hours, or you are only seeing info for what is currently on plus whatever the next show is. If you have two back to back 2 hour movies, it would look like THAT channel goes out 4 hours. Two back to back 30 minute shows would look like THAT channel only goes out an hour. If you have a channel with more than two shows in the "two hours", I'd *GUESS* that it started the 9 day guide and bailed out after a short time.