1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722K and OTA antenna

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Randy Watson, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Randy Watson

Randy Watson New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Hi all,

First post here and I'm far from an expert on these things. Here's my dilemma: I've got a 722K and was told at installation they couldn't get the local channels in HD. Is there a way to install an antenna for the locals and still use the DVR to record them? Also-would an attic antenna work? We're able to get decent reception with just a set of rabbit ears-but the wife says they have to go :lol:

Thanks in advance

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Do you have the OTA module installed in your 722K?

It comes with an open expansion bay on the back (covered by a blank plate if the module is not installed) to install an ~$30 OTA module.

IF you have (or purchase) that module... then all you have to do is connect an antenna, and you will have 2 OTA tuners from which you can record any OTA channel after you go into the menu and run a Local Channel scan.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    We can't know the answers without looking at a TVFOOL plot of your local channels.

http://www.tvfool.com

Put in your address and you'll get a "radar" plot of all of your locals as well as a channel list and estimated signal strength for each at your location.

4. Randy Watson

Randy Watson New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    It doesn't have the module, are those available only through Dish?

I hope this is the right info from TVfool:

tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3da362134ea29027

5. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    No.

6. bz2dy

bz2dy New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I have the antenna module from dish that I will sell to you. I ordered the 722K and the antenna module, but Dish sent me the 722 which does not need the module. Now Dish will not let me return the antenna module.

send me your email or PM me.

Brett

7. Randy Watson

Randy Watson New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Apparently I need to make a couple of more posts before I can send a PM :lol:, I'll try to do that and send you a PM

8. TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S AllStar

Aug 16, 2005
  9. Randy Watson

Randy Watson New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Was it fairly easy to install?

10. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    60 seconds.

Remove cover, insert module, re-install screws.

11. TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S AllStar

Aug 16, 2005
    Plus a reboot and local scan. I was up and running in 10-15 minutes.

12. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    So I had a 722K installed today, but with no over the air module. They are coming back tomorrow morning to install the module. I do not have an HD package and right now have no plans to get one. So with the over the air module will I be able to get those stations in HD and will I be able to record them in HD?

Len

13. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    Yes, but you will only see the channel id and "digital service" in the program guide, so if you want to to record a program you will set a manual timer (i.e by time and channel.)

14. lsokoloff

lsokoloff AllStar

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks Russ - a little story and then an answer.

I called DISH yesterday after I got my 722 installed. Told them that I wanted an over the air module mailed to me. Installation is a no brainer per the installation crew that was here yesterday. The crew yesterday said they did not have one and the warehouse did not have one either. I informed DISH of this when I called and asked them to just send me one. Nope - had to be installed by one of their crews. So I told them to make sure that the installer had one since it sounded like they were not just laying around. No problem said the DISH rep. So I get a call this morning that the installer was on the way and he asked what exactly I needed to be done. I told him I just needed the over the air module and he said he didn't have any and would try to find one. That was about six hours ago, so I suspect I won't see him today.

On the HD issue, after writing my post yesterday, I looked at the DISH offer of "Free HD for Life." Looks like that's what I'll be doing. Got to do three things and I do them all - sign up for two more years, go to auto bill pay and go with paperless billing. So if I do that, I guess I will have real guide information for programming purposes.

Len

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Don't know what the difference is with my VIP622 maybe because I own it,but I am getting the program guide information for my OTA channels,but I also subscribe to my locals and I don't have an HD package just AT250 SD package.:confused:

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You have to SUBSCRIBE to Locals, whether or not Dish has them in HD, in order to get guide data for the locals, even if you get them via OTA antenna.

17. fuzzman99

fuzzman99 New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Do you only get guide information for locals that are part of the DISH local packages? I am going to receive channels that are not part of my DISH locals.

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    You only get guide information for locals that Dish has the guide information for. If they're not carried in any way by Dish, you're not going to get any info. Edit: Which is to say, yes, you'll get the guide info for non-market channels you can pick up.

19. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Dish does carry guide info for some local channels they don't carry. Check the sub-channels for Louisville at http://jameslong.name/markets/f72.html. My own market has listings for a second PBS channel, but it's not shown on James' chart.

20. fuzzman99

fuzzman99 New Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. So, if I am receiving the Louisville locals via DISH and am able to pickup the Lexington locals via OTA (which DISH also provides in that market) then I should get guide info for those channels as well, correct?