1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722k Modulator Problem

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jsk, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I have a 722k and have it set to modulate TV1 on cable Ch. 123 and TV2 on Ch. 125. When I tune to Ch. 123, I get static. On one of my old TVs, I get a black and white picture with pure static for the audio. Ch. 125 is fine. If I change the modulator settings to different channels (both cable and air), I still have the same results with TV1 being snow and TV2 being fine. I have also tried resetting the receiver without success.

Any other ideas before I call Dish and try to get another 722k?

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would try using OTA channels above 55, and scan with your TV again. The 2 modulators should have at least 1 channel between them, and I have mine on 60 and 64 for my VIP 222K (same electronics as your's without the Hard drive).

It is possible that your modulators have failed. In this case, you may want to get an EHD to save your recordings before you call Dish for a replacement. If you have the internal OTA tuner, you'll want to save that for your replacement unit.

You didn't state if you have any other signals on the coax - I have OTA coming in (the reason I'm using 60 and 64).

3. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    It is mostly a dedicated line with another RF modulator for Channel 3 attached, but that is off. The only other thing that I have on that line is a four way amp/splitter.

I have tried it on some of the low OTA and cable channels with the same results. TV1 doesn't work and TV2 has a perfect picture.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    OK - so it sounds like you need a replacement.

First - if you want the recordings you have on your current - you need to get an External Hard Drive. You can find these at Staples or Best Buy or any other office electronics store. After it is plugged in and it self formats, select the recordings to copy over. I would suggest getting a unit that has it's own power supply. If you get one that is USB powered, you will need a powered USB hub as well. Look for a 1TB to 2TB HD.

Next call Dish. Ask to get the maintenance plan (some small amount for a minimum of 6 months) - this will reduce the cost of your service call. Then ask for the service call. The agent will ask you some questions, just be truthful and do what they ask. You may want to advise them that you have copied your shows to the external HD. You may want to consider upgrading to a Hopper and 1 Joey.

After the tech shows up, he'll replace the DVR (install the Hopper / Joey). He can also show you how to add the EHD. If there is a problem and the recordings won't transfer - don't panic, they can play directly from the EHD as well once it is recognized.

If you decide to upgrade to a Hopper / Joey and you had the OTA adapter, the one for the Hopper is an external USB module and is extra cost.

5. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Why not feed your TV with better picture and sound than RF(ch xx) your 722 has 3 other outpus all better than RF

P Smith likes this.
  6. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There ae times when the RF output is the best for the purposes of signal distribution. 1 coax cable compared to multiple cables for anything else.

crodrules likes this.
  7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    I have coax run to other rooms on the second floor and in the kitchen and some of the TVs are ancient tube TVs and don't have HDMI or component. Even if I upgraded the TVs, it would be an undertaking to get different cabling to all of those locations. Besides, the TV2 output is SD only and only has a composite output.

I was thinking about mounting a TV in the next room and running a component cable for TV1.

I wouldn't want to upgrade to a Hopper because I like the 722K's ability to split the coax signal to multiple TVs without additional fees. Also, I like the dual OTA tuners combined with the Flex pack that saves me $10/month (not paying for sat delivered locals). The quality of programming on cable/satellite TV is going down so much, and I am not willing to pay more. I'll contact my local Dish contractor so I can ensure I will get a 722K (versus the 722).

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Be sure to pull your OTA adapter for the 722K when it gets replaced.