1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

722k - Strange

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by SaltiDawg, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 #1 of 14
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I have a timer set for new episodes of Terriers on FX. Looking at my scheduled timers for tonight, I see a timer for Terriers set to start at 2:00AM. I hit Info sand it says the episode is set to run from 2:00AM to 2:05AM. Episode 18 which originally ran on Nov 7th - which I do not think is correct.)

If I search on "Terriers" it shows that episode appearing on FX, FX HD.

The Guide has been showing Fx to be carrying "Paid Program" from 2:00AM - 2:30AM. Today the Guide changed to reflect a start time of 2:05AM for the paid program, but certainly no mention of Terriers.

I see that next Monday AM exactly the same situation exists.

Not looking for a "fix", just wanted to share this anomaly. (I've done a Power
    Reset to no avail.)

2. Nov 8, 2010 #2 of 14
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Update. The five minute (plus "padding") timer fired and indeed it contained the start of the Terriers episode - the one not shown on the guide.

Would someone search on Terriers and see if they see a 2:00AM event on November 15th? Also, then take a look in the Guide at channel 136, FX, and see if the Terriers episode is there.

I'll call Dish with that info and my info.

3. Nov 8, 2010 #3 of 14
    Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I get an 8 minute extra recording of Terriers every week. Don't know why they are doing this but I just delete it.

4. Nov 8, 2010 #4 of 14
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Luther does the same thing, but worse. Sometimes it records only the shorty as the 'new' episode. I finally said to hell with it and went with a manual timer.

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 14
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Do you see that episode on your Guide?

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 14
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The five minute episode(s) shows in my guide. FX does those on some of their series. I just have my DVR skip the stupid things every week.

7. Nov 8, 2010 #7 of 14
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I wonder why it does not show on MY Guide. It does show on the scheduled timers list. :confused:

How long a period does the five minute episode show in the Guide? (It can't display less then 30 minutes, but can display the start/end time on a 622/722/722k.) My Guide shows Paid Programing with a start time of 5 minutes after 2:00AM.

8. Nov 8, 2010 #8 of 14
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    At the 1am position CST there is a small blank space preceding the 1:05 Paid programming slot. That is on a 922. If selected it gives the info for Terriers. I guess they cannot do/show that on the 722 guide.

9. Nov 9, 2010 #9 of 14
    Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Nope, it wasn't in the guide.

10. kspeters

kspeters Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 12, 2003
    I have experienced the same thing with different timers and then other times it will work fine. Never had that with my 622s,,,,only on the 722.

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    There were other issues a few years / firmware versions ago and I haven't spent any time identifying behavior with current firmware. When I last spent time checking, a 508 and 622 behaved differently when multiple shows started in the same 30 minute Guide block. IIRC, the 508 would only list the 1st show starting in the block and the 622 listed the last show to start in the block. Anyhow, with their Display setup, it seems they are only able to indicate a single show in a 30 minute block. There are years old threads about Comedy Central 15 minute shows ("Chicken" something comes to mind) both occurring in the same block. Same for some Disney "Cody" show. Back at the time, if you used Search for "Chicken", you would see the episode in Search results, but if you did a Select from there, the Timer it would start to create would be for the Show that started 15 minutes earlier/later (I forget). Firmware update fixed selecting from Search, but you had to KNOW the show was on and search for it to be able to set a timer for it (or find it running in another 30 minute block where it was last (1st?).

DISH just does a poor job when two shows start in the same 30 minute window.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    In the case at hand, the first five minutes of the block has been "filled" with five minutes of a one hour weekly show. That five minutes is not visible for display in the guide window, but does show up in the search window, and disappointingly it actually is recorded by a recurring timer for that one hour show. Even worse, that five minute recording satisfies the timer's "new" episode criterion.

In this case the issue is not the software nor the receiver hardware, but rather it is the Guide source's decision to actually schedule fives minutes of an actual show to fill the five minute gap at the beginning of the block.

I actually have hopes that this will be corrected now that Dish technical understands the issue.

13. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Since FX isn't included in AT120, I'm pretty limited in what I can see / do, but someone did decide to create and run a 5 minute episode, calling it a 3 minute replay. It doesn't appear to start at (I'm PST) 11:00 or 11:05, but that's all the granularity shown with DISH receivers (I'd hope the 922 changes that, but its been 5 minutes for a decade). ZaptoIt says
    TerriersEpisode: Asunder: Three-Minute-Replay (First Aired: November 14, 2010)

Fighting the urge to drink on Gretchen's wedding day, Hank stumbles back onto the radar of the conspiracy threatening Ocean Beach
    More Episodes, News, Recaps, Cast Info, Reviews...
    11:03 - 11:08 PM FX (136)

When I look at the guide for 11-11:30PM, it says 11:10 as the start time for Paid Programming. If I hit Info, I get the info for Terriers episode 20 using 11:05-11:10 for DISH adjusted start-end times. It is pretty unusual to have a 5 minute version of the show, but they go to the trouble of dedicated episode 20 to this "Three-Minute-Replay" which I assume is a summary of episode 19 that was the full show??

But it is an example of all the warts of the DISH guide. If you set a timer for new episodes and don't have padding before the show, it would start recording at 11:05, two minutes after the thing really started at 11:03. And continue recording 2 minutes into the paid programming by running after the 2:08 ending (or longer if padding is added). Either way, it becomes the first show to start in the 30 minute window, so DISH won't show it to you in the Guide.

I've no idea if FX or the show itself made this 5 minute episode unto itself, but it is semi-reasonable (kinda questionable I guess) to have something start at 11:03 and end at 11:08. It really isn't the Start of the 30 minute block, but the poor job is DISH here, not FX and not whoever created the 3 minutes summary with its own episode number. Maybe having the Info button display the Terriers is better than being able to see the Info for Paid Programming. I still rather see the true published start and end times honored, and some * to indicate more than one program starts in a 30 minute block.

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    You've reached the wrong conclusion. This is not a special summary or intro or anything else. It is the actual start of an episode, including the episode number, date originally added, credits, and then it simply stops in mid sentence.

"but someone did decide to create and run a 5 minute episode, calling it a 3 minute replay" is not correct. It is precisely the first few minutes, including credits, of an episode. Setting a timer for "Terriers", as I said, will; record this as if it was an entire viewing event.

It is entirely the fault of the guide source for including it in the guide. It is not a promo or anything else.